Thread: 355 sbc injectors

Fuel Injected!

355 sbc injectors

Ok, Getting closer to a good running engine. It seems my fuel injectors are leaking down. Symptoms include hard hot starts and the smell of gas in the garage when i come in after work. Whats the general conscientious on injectors? While I have it apart, I'm going to put in an adjustable regulator also.

EDIT:

Quick pressure test shows it take a few seconds to build pressure and once the pump kicks off, drops rapidly to 0 in less that 3 seconds. Pressure regulator diaphragm has no holes as I ran it for 5 minutes with the line off to see if gas came out the vacuum port, but it stayed dry.

EDIT #2

Pinched off the return line. Pressure is holding. Is there a check valve of sorts in the regulator?

EDIT #3

Now pressure is holding. This is strange. Im guessing something was dislodged in the regulator from the brief higher pressure?
    Last edited by misterpat; 06-21-2017 at 02:01 AM.

I'm thinking what you are seeing with the injector pressures are normal. Once the pump stops running, the pressure should quickly bleed off to nearly ZERO PSI.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Huh, A lot of other searching came up with it should hold for 20 minutes or so.

After yesterdays experiment. Which led to a high pressure of 80 psi, it held that till I released the return line. Ever since that, when turning the engine off, the pressure goes to 45 psi and stays there for at least 30 minutes now. Hot starts are a piece of cake now.

Huh, I guess posting TBI or TPI would have been good to know?

dave w