Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to Learn on 95 G30 5.7 for Towing

Fuel Injected!
    I could only imagine how poorly that setup towed any real weight with the 3.23 gears.

I found my Express van marginal with 3.73 gears and the 4L85E. That was with a 300 hp Marine Vortec 350 setup making ALOT more HP/TQ.

At the wheels it made
    170 hp @ 3,000
    205 hp @ 3,500
    225 hp @ 4,000
    230 hp @ 4,500

Torque started out in the 280 range, peaked at 303 @ 3,400 but took a nose dive above 4,000 rpm.
    Last edited by Fast355; 05-24-2018 at 09:41 PM.

The dyno and trailer are slightly under 5000 lbs so its OK now. It will not win any races, but I can do the speed limit. I do want to do some work to the engine, but any major projects have to wait until winter as this is my only tow vehicle and the dyno has been going out almost every weekend lately. It slows down though when the weather gets cruddy again.

I downloaded the "BJLH 94 C-K Truck 5.7TBI 4l60e with 3.73 or 3.42 gears" bin this morning, to do the same to that bin. The timing tables are exactly the same as my G30. Has anyone read a hypertech or jet tbi chip and saved the bin file? I was just curious to snoop through one and see what changes they made compared to a factory chip.
    Last edited by donf; 05-25-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    The dyno and trailer are slightly under 5000 lbs so its OK now. It will not win any races, but I can do the speed limit. I do want to do some work to the engine, but any major projects have to wait until winter as this is my only tow vehicle and the dyno has been going out almost every weekend lately. It slows down though when the weather gets cruddy again.

I downloaded the "BJLH 94 C-K Truck 5.7TBI 4l60e with 3.73 or 3.42 gears" bin this morning, to do the same to that bin. The timing tables are exactly the same as my G30. Has anyone read a hypertech or jet tbi chip and saved the bin file? I was just curious to snoop through one and see what changes they made compared to a factory chip.
    For emissions compliance those chips only have extra timing added at WOT and only in the 90 KPA plus areas. Someone running around at 5K elevation would not see any difference at all.

I think I uploaded a modified BJYN bin file years ago on here that had my timing map I ran when I had stock heads and stock cam.

Thanks for the tips. I did a fast search using your username and BJYN and found nothing. No worries, It was mostly for curiosity. I dont think I will mess with a lot until I swap the cam and pull the heads once things slow up anyway.

I took the dyno out again today. It was a slow day, only three cars, but the van seems to be doing a little better with the new chip I burned. I was still very conservative with the timing table and PE, just made a few small changes. I have not run the van on the dyno again but here is a picture of one of the cars we did today, nothing computer controlled on it, but it squeezed out 520 hp. I thought it was cool.

Fuel Injected!
    Double post
    Last edited by Fast355; 05-27-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I took the dyno out again today. It was a slow day, only three cars, but the van seems to be doing a little better with the new chip I burned. I was still very conservative with the timing table and PE, just made a few small changes. I have not run the van on the dyno again but here is a picture of one of the cars we did today, nothing computer controlled on it, but it squeezed out 520 hp. I thought it was cool.
    Nice!

i had a busy morning myself. I went after a used 2 pole 9,000 lbs capacity rotary lift that was replaced because it had a leaking cylinder. Paid my dealership scrap guy $100 for his time for meeting me with a helper and he gave me the lift.

One a side note that Nissan 4.0L/Jatco 5spd auto pull so well you barely even know there is a trailer back there. That Pathfinder has 2.94 gears. It holds OD and Lockup with ~3,000+ lbs behind it even at 60 mph which is about 1,600 rpm. Glad I brought along my engine hoist, a hefty chain and some good straps. That lift had some heavy support columns, guessing 6-700 lbs a piece. Heavy enough weight imbalance that I had to put the heavy end toward the tongue to keep the trailer from having negative tongue weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fast355; 05-27-2018 at 05:12 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Nice!

i had a busy morning myself. I went after a used 2 pole 9,000 lbs capacity rotary lift that was replaced because it had a leaking cylinder. Paid my dealership scrap guy $100 for his time for meeting me with a helper and he gave me the lift.

One a side note that Nissan 4.0L/Jatco 5spd auto pull so well you barely even know there is a trailer back there. That Pathfinder has 2.94 gears. It holds OD and Lockup with ~3,000+ lbs behind it even at 60 mph which is about 1,600 rpm. Glad I brought along my engine hoist, a hefty chain and some good straps. That lift had some heavy support columns, guessing 6-700 lbs a piece. Heavy enough weight imbalance that I had to put the heavy end toward the tongue to keep the trailer from having negative tongue weight.
    I'd love to grab one of those!

The pathfinder sounds impressive. I missed a newer Express van with low miles and an 8.1 two weeks ago. I did not have the time to drive 300 miles before someone else grabbed it.

I was told not to waist my time, but I was curious to see for myself.
    I got a cheap Jet Stage 1 chip to look at used. Its for a 1995 350 4l60e so I put it in. My chip with only revised shift points in a few gears was much more noticeable when towing. So I compared it to the stock truck bin to see the difference.
    Main Spark vs Map Table was bumped by 1.1-3.2 degrees. This is supposed to be for a stock engine, but a lot of the changes were at 4400-6000 so not even noticeable as the engine never runs that high.
    They bumped the fuel cut off from 98 to 115 mph, the only way my van will ever see that, is if it falls off a cliff.
    The main fuel table was increased in almost the same areas they bumped the timing. Probably to combat detonation by making the engine very rich.

I cant believe, companies get away with selling this for $150 and up. Mine cost almost nothing so it was almost worth it just for the education on what not to do.
    Last edited by donf; 06-16-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Hi Don. I was pretty active tuning my stock 1995 K1500 several years ago. My tuning threads are here:

engine
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...uning-Autoprom

trans
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...E-tuning-in-0D

header install
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...header-install

I've attached my bin if you want to have a look at it. Truck has nearly 180,000 miles on it now. Same stock LO5 and 4L60e.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1995 K1500, Stock LO5, 4L60e, 3.73 gears, 265/75-16 tires, L&L Products Ultra-flow headers into 2-1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust

Fuel Injected!
    I was told not to waist my time, but I was curious to see for myself.
    I got a cheap Jet Stage 1 chip to look at used. Its for a 1995 350 4l60e so I put it in. My chip with only revised shift points in a few gears was much more noticeable when towing. So I compared it to the stock truck bin to see the difference.
    Main Spark vs Map Table was bumped by 1.1-3.2 degrees. This is supposed to be for a stock engine, but a lot of the changes were at 4400-6000 so not even noticeable as the engine never runs that high.
    They bumped the fuel cut off from 98 to 115 mph, the only way my van will ever see that, is if it falls off a cliff.
    The main fuel table was increased in almost the same areas they bumped the timing. Probably to combat detonation by making the engine very rich.

I cant believe, companies get away with selling this for $150 and up. Mine cost almost nothing so it was almost worth it just for the education on what not to do.
    I read a Hypertech I found in a 92 GM van once. For $2 at the wrecking yard. All they did is target a leaner PE mixture and increase the VE table and spark map in the 80+ KPA range. I tried it and WOT it actually ran very well but no changes to anything that would effect emmisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadknee View Post
    Hi Don. I was pretty active tuning my stock 1995 K1500 several years ago. My tuning threads are here:

I've attached my bin if you want to have a look at it. Truck has nearly 180,000 miles on it now. Same stock LO5 and 4L60e.
    Thank you I will take a look! I am sure there is some good stuff in there. Billy Graves has already helped me too with some trans help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I read a Hypertech I found in a 92 GM van once. For $2 at the wrecking yard. All they did is target a leaner PE mixture and increase the VE table and spark map in the 80+ KPA range. I tried it and WOT it actually ran very well but no changes to anything that would effect emmisions.
    No PE changes in the Jet chip. I did not bother to dyno it. I took it out after one trip pulling the trailer and dyno to the track. A lot of the changes were in the rpm ranges well past the limits of a stock 350 tbi. Every change over the stock chip is shown in this screen shot.

Last edited by donf; 06-17-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you I will take a look! I am sure there is some good stuff in there. Billy Graves has already helped me too with some trans help.

No PE changes in the Jet chip. I did not bother to dyno it. I took it out after one trip pulling the trailer and dyno to the track. A lot of the changes were in the rpm ranges well past the limits of a stock 350 tbi. Every change over the stock chip is shown in this screen shot.

They were probably just cleaning up the non calibrated GM mapping in that area. From the files I have seen over the fuel kill they put a flat lined timing and VE map from GM.

Where I see the best gains from tuning TBI chips is in the off-idle to 3,000 rpm range. The factory often used negative or very low advance values under load. Most of the engines I have played with like 8-10° of advance by 1,000 rpm, 20° by 2,400 and full advance of 26-28° by 3,600 rpm. That is only possible if they are not tunning lean like many do in factory form. I have gained 20-30 ft/lbs at the wheels running timing like that and a WOT air/fuel ratio of 12:1 in that RPM range. Up around peak HP in the 3,600+ rpm range taper off the fuel to about 12.6:1. Watch for knock retard with the trailer in tow and adjust accordingly until it goes away, then pull 2° more for safety. If running 91+ you can actually find yourself advancing the timing past the point of losing power without running into detonation.

Fuel Injected!
    This is the timing map I had in my 7730 TPI ECM that was running a stock TPI intake on a 1-ton 8.8:1 350 TBI engine with a LT1 F-car cam in my 1983 G20 van. PE spark is high at the top rpm because the TPI runners and swirl port heads are choking off the airflow by that RPM. More timing kept the power from falling off quite as noticeably. It had good power to ~5,200 rpm.
    Attached Images Attached Images