Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to Learn on 95 G30 5.7 for Towing

Fuel Injected!
    http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_ScreenShots.php

EBL won't control an electronic trans- but it's good for the price point and will generally plug in for it's application. The Edelbrock system's problem was their chip which was meant in my case for a vortec crate engine- no camming up, and the mpi was driven off tbi drivers, the port mod is meant for batch fire mpi. If I recall- Eddy recycled most the tbi components like throttle bracket, tb, egr. Mine had tiny Pico injectors.

Thanks for the information. I did look at that site a few years ago, but was not impressed. I will stick with 16197427 and TBI for now.

I am still having big data errors in Tunerpro RT KOER. The program seems fairly stable KOEO. I figured I would post what I have done and maybe someone else has some ideas.

I tested most of the grounds by doing a voltage drop test between the negative battery terminal and whatever the ground point is I am testing. Both ECM grounds were checked at the computer and a test wire was run directly to the negative battery terminal to see if that would improve anything, it did not. Other grounds removed and checked were all four grounds that bolt to the engine, buss bar ground under the dash and the chassis grounds at the front of the chassis.

The ALDL was tested for power and ground.

I checked A/C voltage at the battery to test alternator. It passed with .1v A/C. Removed the belt from alternator, no change in symptoms KOER.

ECM I swapped in another 427 ECM from a wrecking yard complete. No Change in Symptoms.

I rolled my desk top computer outside hooked the aldl cable to that and used that instead of the laptop to eliminate the possibility of the cheapo laptop having something to do with it. No change in symptoms.

I have added the wait for silence to the macro, also adjusting the time from 20ms to 900ms. The longer wait time does slow down the errors, but it looks like everything is slowed down, good data and bad. I put the macro back to original.

I bumped the latency on the USB Cable port from 16 to 32, no change. Tried latency a 4 and 8 also. No changes.

KOEO o2 seems to vary wild at times not sure if if its a true reading or not. I unplugged the o2 just to see if that would affect the Tunerpro symptoms, no change in symptoms. KOEO with the 217.adx MAT reads -40 and never moves. I don't think my van has a MAT though? I looked for one. If it does I can pull that and check. KEOR that data jumps all over. at times

I do see Moates sells something called ferrite beads. http://www.moates.net/ferrite-bead-f...ble-p-203.html It describes the problem I am having with errors while running. Has anyone had these solve their data problem?

I am running out of Ideas, but I did see here where another member changed their plug wires and eliminated their KOER data errors in Tunerpro. My existing wires are fairly new, Napa lower line wires nothing special, but it's almost wild guess time now. Anyone have an idea?
    Last edited by donf; 08-22-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Try the ADX file here and see if your errors lessen. I added some delays in the polling and it helped my data errors immensely. If it does help, edit the ADX and look at the macro to see what was done. This is the ADX file I use for tuning a $0D system.

Thank you very much for the help! It doesn't look like that was the answer, but it's one more thing to cross off the list. I made a screencast of the mostly stable readings when connected and the engine being off. I hit the throttle so the tps goes up then down evenly, then I go ahead and start the engine and see all the numbers go crazy. This is using the adx file you shared. The top data point is speed. It was up to 160 there for a second! Ha ha https://youtu.be/MlwmLdQSyC0

Are you using an inverter for ac power on a laptop? If so turn it off. make sure your plug wires are not too close to your harness. If a plug wire has to cross the engine harness, make sure it crosses perpendicular to the wiring. Check your pcm grounds and body grounds. make sure all grounds are attached and making a good electrical connection.

Thanks for the advise. Laptop is battery power only, the only connection is the ALDL cable. I rolled my desk top computer outside hooked the aldl cable to that and used that instead of the laptop to eliminate the possibility of the cheapo laptop having something to do with it. No change in symptoms. I tested most of the grounds by doing a voltage drop test between the negative battery terminal and whatever the ground point is I am testing. Both ECM grounds were checked at the computer and a test wire was run frome those wires directly to the negative battery terminal to see if that would improve anything, it did not. Other grounds removed and checked were all four grounds that bolt to the engine, buss bar ground under the dash and the chassis grounds at the front of the chassis. The only grounds that were not removed, cleaned and tested are at the rear of the van for lights and the trailer brake plug.

To try and isolate the problem I downloaded the last trial version of datamaster. It does almost exactly the same thing as TunerPro. So it's definitely not a software problem. The key on engine off data passed fine. Once the engine is started the data goes nuts and the program starts alternating ALDL connected and ALDL disconnected. It would pass the cable test with the engine off, but when the engine was on it would say the connection was fine, but the computer returned unrecognisable data. The ECM in it now is a swapout from another 95 in the wrecker a few days ago. Just to rule out a bad ECM. I have two now. Both run fine in the van. The sample rate is a slider in Datamaster, and sliding sample rate just slows or speeds up the errors and data, the ratio of good data to bad looks to be unchanged.

Today I ran temporary test leads to all major ground connections to double check myself. No changes in errors. I did notice that the DA connection rate engine off, key on is about 10 or 11hz. The rate once the engine starts varies between about 4 to under 1hz. Most of the time it's under 1hz. Not sure if this is a clue or the product of my symptoms. It may be hokey but just to see I started temporarily wrapping a few components in aluminum foil to see if that would reduce interference if there was any. No changes in the data. I did the coil and the large wiring harness where it crosses all four plug wires underneath the distributor. The harness and the plug wires are in factory locations.
    Last edited by donf; 08-24-2017 at 04:34 AM.

After looking at other things this afternoon. I reread this post http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...e-starts/page3 and looked closer at the wires on the van and they are not standard supression plug wires. They are some low resistance spiral wound wire made by Belden. Since the poster in the thread above was able to cure his interference problem by just going back to standard suppression wires I think that's the next step. It's a wild guess, but I checked most other things and they are fine.

Unfortunately new supression core plug wires had no effect on the errors I have been getting in TunerPro RT. It was a guess, so not surprised, but I sure was hoping to have a stable connection.

This morning I decided to go in a different direction. I will track down the communication problems later. The engine runs perfectly and is not getting any changes for a few months at least, what I do want to change is the shift points. Since Switching from a 3.23 to 4.10 the shift points seem to be off a little. I think the first step in that is reading the factory memcal. So I looked for a BJYR bin here and did not find a copy. The van is a 1995 G30 van 5.7 4l60e, originally 3.23 gears (GU5). If you look up BJYR on the BCC lookup spread sheet you will see the mistake. Its listed as a manual transmission. That looks to be impossible since chevrolet never offered a manual transmission in the 1995 G30 van as an option. https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-G-Van.pdf - third page direct from GM = 4l60e or 4l80e. It also has been shifting the 4l60e for 108,000 miles. So now I want to read and save my stock BJYR bin file. I think I got it but not sure if its done right?

Edit: I removed the bin because it may be messed up. I got way different specs off of the same memcal with two separate readings.

Last edited by donf; 08-27-2017 at 01:33 AM.

I think I may have the bin, but I am not sure it's correct.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by donf; 08-27-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Does anyone happen to know the math that is used to come up with the RPM/VSS Ratio? I have my stock bin downloaded. I compared it to a few other bin files here and most of the transmission settings were identical except for the NV ratio for the final drive differences. Billy, I tried to PM you but it says your inbox is over the storage limit.

Edit: I found a few different formulas for the N/V ratio, but this one seems to be the most relevant? Ratio = (Tire Rev's Mile x Gear Ratio)/60; http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ht-programming
    Last edited by donf; 08-27-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I think that is the correct formula. Looks like with your new 4.10 depending on your tire size should be about 47.xx.
    Last edited by myburb; 08-28-2017 at 05:55 AM.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Thanks, I got close to that using tireracks revolution per mile for 24575R16. For some reason different tire manufactures give slightly different specs, but I think it will be close enough.