Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to Learn on 95 G30 5.7 for Towing

Fuel Injected!
    While I had the calc out, with that tire size it should be 45.27
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

I was able to burn a few different chips over the last few days, so some success! Thanks to John and Billy and the others who helped out here. There still is a lot to learn, but when things go right it helps!

More success! The problem with erratic readings in Tunerpro when the engine was running was driving me nuts. 1320_John loaned me one of his custom bluetooth ALDL to try. Using his adapter and his android software I now have a stable connection to data with the engine off and engine running.
    Last edited by donf; 09-06-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Now with actual data in Tunerpro RT (Thanks John), I did a test drive and had a few questions.
    I used A218_0d_Trans1_v250.adx. I looked at shift times and the 1 ->2 and 2->3 upshift times are both 0.6 that looks okay to me. What has me worried a little is something called Desired and Actual Shift Time Error. The Desired and Actual Shift Time Error 1->2 upshift is 0.1. The Desired and Actual Shift Time Error 2->3 is listed as 5.8 I am not sure if that is a problem or not. The 2-3 shift seems very solid. The little information I can find says it's part of the transmission adaptive pressure system for the transmission. On youtube one person was talking about a similar bit of data only being a problem when it was in the upper 20's so this all may be normal
    A second test drive saw the last shift time 2->3 drop to 0.4 and the Actual Shift Time Error 2->3 increase slightly to 6.0, so hopefully it's just the trans trying to take a little pressure away and not some problem. I just want to be sure as if there is a problem I don't want to wait to fix it. The pressure and shift time tables are factory and unaltered. I did alter the speed tables for the 3-4 shift point and light throttle, no other trans settings have been touched.
    Last edited by donf; 09-15-2017 at 02:05 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    You can also use the 1320 adapter to log with TP RT. I have it and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokes1114 View Post
    You can also use the 1320 adapter to log with TP RT. I have it and works great.
    Yes I am using it with Tuner Pro RT and A218_0d_Trans1_v250.adx, see the post above. Just wondering what the PID Desired and Actual Shift Time Error relates to. The other adx file (A218_0d_Trans@_v250.adx) has adaptive information but none labeled with that name and no data numbers like that either. Switching back to 1320 Electronics android ALDL Scan software and the 218 trans ALDL file, shows no errors either. The trans feels very good so maybe it's fine.

Progress has been stopped on the van. I went back to Kentucky the last few days of September and pulled a Dyno Dynamics Chassis Dyno home to Oregon via uHaul. I put the van on the dyno today just to sort some new options out (tacho adapter). I probably do need to do something to the vans engine power wise, as it struggles pulling the dyno and enclosed trailer around at times. Thanks to Billy and John for the help on the van so far. Here is a few pictures from today. Like I said nothing to show off power wise, just a stock tbi with 107K. The jump on the graph is the torque converter locking I am thinking. It happens constantly at the same place every run. Runs are done in drive (3). Anyway its a baseline to work from if time allows.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Progress has been stopped on the van. I went back to Kentucky the last few days of September and pulled a Dyno Dynamics Chassis Dyno home to Oregon via uHaul. I put the van on the dyno today just to sort some new options out (tacho adapter). I probably do need to do something to the vans engine power wise, as it struggles pulling the dyno and enclosed trailer around at times. Thanks to Billy and John for the help on the van so far. Here is a few pictures from today. Like I said nothing to show off power wise, just a stock tbi with 107K. The jump on the graph is the torque converter locking I am thinking. It happens constantly at the same place every run. Runs are done in drive (3). Anyway its a baseline to work from if time allows.

Looks like lockup to me as that coincides with roughly 75 mph.

That van seems very lethargic compared to what my stock GM Goodwrench crate 8600+ GVW TBI 350 in my 1983 G20 put down. Mine made 176 RWHP @ 4,000 and 265 TQ @ 2,500ish. Only upgrades at the the time were a high flow cat, magnaflow single in/dual out muffler with some ECM tuning. I put 1.6:1 roller rockers, doug thorley TH315Y tri-y headers, custom 2.5" to 3" Y-pipe, Edelbrock 3704 TBI performer intake, 2" Marine TBI unit, Transdapt 1" oval open center TBI spacer, Hypertech power bowl on a modified air cleaner housing and pulled 200 RWHP and 300 RWTQ.

I agree it needs help. I try not to get into the number games. These were weather corrected numbers with a true stock engine/stock tune and very repeatable. I can make the dyno spit out pretty much anything I want. That's what people don't understand. Dyno dynamics even has a "comparison" HP correction to compare to Dynojet, ect, but it's just not necessary.
    Last edited by donf; 01-05-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I agree it needs help. I try not to get into the number games. These were weather corrected numbers with a true stock engine/stock tune and very repeatable. I can make the dyno spit out pretty much anything I want. That's what people don't understand. Dyno dynamics even has a "comparison" HP correction to compare to Dynojet, ect, but it's just not necessary.
    Was not a numbers game as much as just stating how badly those compnents combined with 87 octane based tune are holding it back. Just losing the factory cat and muffler is probably worth 15-20 HP with the OEM manifolds and Y-pipe in place. I have seen 30+ TQ gains through alot of the powerband with Timing/Fueling changes alone on a STOCK engine. Running 91+ octane fuel you can run 12-16* of advance at 1,200 rpm and 100 KPA and bring as much as 28* advance in by 2,800 rpm. Above 3,600 rpm you can bring it up to 32*. Compared to a factory GM van tune that goes negative on a WOT throttle hit from a dead stop and peaks out at 20-22* as late as 4,000 rpm, it makes a world of differenc. Especially combined with air/fuel ratios that approach 10:1 on the factory tune in places. Bypass the PE fuel delay and set the PE to deliver 12:1 AFR from 1,600-3,000 and taper off to 12.6 by 4,000. Finally set your stoichiometric AFR to 14.1 to compensate for E10 and dial in your VE tables.
    Last edited by Fast355; 01-09-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Thank you for the tips. The van has been towing the chassis dyno to events for a few months without missing a beat. I have had to manually shift from 3rd to 2nd more often than I like on hills, so I started to change a few kick down settings on the chip today. So far all I have adjusted has been shift points and lowered the temp for hot mode. I will mess with more as time allows.
    Last edited by donf; 05-20-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Here is the main spark table untouched from my bin. The light duty 95 G30 Bin has some changes over a lower GVW van. When I tried a G20 bin my shifts turned softer, even with the reworked transmission and there were other small changes I found too. I used my original bin for the base after that. Billy Graves helped me with transmission advice and I pretty much have the shift points dialed in. It made a big difference loaded and unloaded. The only real change to the power train so far is the 4.11 swap from 3.26. The van actually became useful after that for towing. I may try messing around with the van on the dyno to see what kind of improvements can be made, by just altering the spark table.

Fuel Injected!
    Here is the main spark table untouched from my bin. The light duty 95 G30 Bin has some changes over a lower GVW van. When I tried a G20 bin my shifts turned softer, even with the reworked transmission and there were other small changes I found too. I used my original bin for the base after that. Billy Graves helped me with transmission advice and I pretty much have the shift points dialed in. It made a big difference loaded and unloaded. The only real change to the power train so far is the 4.11 swap from 3.26. The van actually became useful after that for towing. I may try messing around with the van on the dyno to see what kind of improvements can be made, by just altering the spark table.

Well that is a spark map I have not seen before. Compared to the G20 and 4l80E G30 map I have it looks like they combined half of each and gave your timing map.

There is a good amount of torque and hp to be made manipulating the timing, VE and command air/fuel ratio in these.

I am assuming your van has the GM pellet box cat still? If so they absolutely kill power and MPG.

The exhaust has been replaced before I owned the van. Typical muffler shop work with crush bends and globed mig welds. I am sure there is a bit of power to be had there, but its quiet and not rusty. The cat is an aftermarket 3".

Fuel Injected!
    The exhaust has been replaced before I owned the van. Typical muffler shop work with crush bends and globed mig welds. I am sure there is a bit of power to be had there, but its quiet and not rusty. The cat is an aftermarket 3".
    That is good news atleast. i could only imagine how bad it would be with the stock exhaust. Thankfully my 83 never had that stupid cat. Came from GM with the tubular stainless manifolds and true duals they built some of them with but GM sucked the life out of it with twin smog pumps.