Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Starting to Learn on 95 G30 5.7 for Towing

Fuel Injected!
    My Express van is actually under the knife this summer so to speak. I hurt the L31s short block. Its getting something ALOT more powerful, lol. Going to have to really get it dialed in well especially before I tow with it again. I am really going to push the pump gas running ability of a 23* small block.

I am working on a nicely built 383.
    Right at 11:1 compression
    Summit Racing 0.030" over 880 Vortec block
    Eagle 1-piece rear main lightweight crank,
    6" H-beam brushed rods with floating pins
    Weisco forged flat tops with 2 deep valve reliefs
    File fit rings 0.018 top and 0.016 2nd
    SFI 8" Fluidampner milled for the 24x reluctor
    GMPP Single roller timing chain
    Fully balanced
    Coated rod and main bearings
    Lloyd Elliot Ported Assault Racing 205cc heads
    2.02/1.60 valves and dual springs
    7/16 screw-in studs and adjustable guide plates
    Heads milled 0.020" for flatness
    210cc ports 64cc deshrouded/polished chambers
    Flow 274/190 @ .500 and 291/193 @ .600
    4.030" x 0.38" MLS cometic head gaskets
    Comp Cam 215/224 @ .050, 110 LSA, 106 ICL
    0.578" intake and exhaust lift
    1.7 Scorpion 7/16" non self aligning rockers
    Short poly locks for added clearance
    Rhodes variable roller lifters
    Hardened 0.080" wall Comp Magnum pushrods
    Aluminum centerbolt short valve covers
    Stock steel ones won't clear the rockers
    Slightly modified a/c compressor bracket
    L31s a/c bracket will not clear LH valve cover.
    Mercruiser dual plane MPFI intake port matched
    Buick 3.8 SC injectors @ 58 psi for 42 lb/hr
    102mm to carb elbow and matching 102mm TB
    4" custom air intake
    LS3 cartridge style MAF
    Stock LS Van air cleaner with a K&N filter
    Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers
    Factory dual 3" exhaust piping
    Thunderbolt 3" spun metallic core cats
    Dual 3" in and 4" single out muffler
    EFI connection 24x reluctor
    Holley aluminum timing cover
    Aluminum L31 distributor for cam sync
    LS Truck D585 coils
    1 meg 2005 LQ4 Van PCM (Blue/Green connector)
    Flex fuel enabled with the Ethanol sensor installed
    5qt truck pan
    Windage tray, crank scraper and oil pump baffle
    High pressure big block oil pump
    March 3 piece 25% underdrive pulleys
    Flowkooler Vortec truck water pump
    GM 19.5" 11 blade fan on a standard clutch
    34" wide 454/8.1 van radiator with oil cooler
    170°F thermostat
    Racetronix fuel pump
    Racetronix fuel pump hotwire kit
    Dual knock sensors

With any luck it will be in the 500 hp and 500 tq range on pump gas and 550 hp and 550 tq on E85 and be done making its power under 6,000 rpm. I am hoping to get over 400 at the wheels on E85 with the ability to still run pump premium. I also hoping to keep the fuel mileage decent on pump gas when my foot is not into it and I am just cruising. Since I have several E85 stations nearby I plan on running mostly E85 in town to help keep the engine free of carbon buildup. It will run cooler on E85 and the 104 octane should allow for a little more timing advance. E85 is over $1.00 a gallon cheaper than 93 which will help offset the 30-40% fuel economy hit.

I am having ATI build me a custom high str (2.2-2.3:1 STR) 2,800 rpm stall converter with a triple disc lockup clutch that can be locked reliably at WOT.

I had added a massive 40k gvw trucool trans cooler to it as well as a +3qt deep trans pan to help keep the trans cool.

With the Rhodes lifters I know it will sound like a solid roller cam but I want a very stock sounding smooth idle.

A very similar 10.5:1 383 LT4 build made 489 hp on an engine dyno and stump pulling torque using a carb for the dyno runs. It was also running mid 13s for air/fuel ratio rather than the 12.6 or so I have found E10 to generally run best at.

http://www.ellweinengines.com/ERE87/ERE87.htm
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-15-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The white wire off your coil connector that is not connected to anything is a standard 8 cylinder tach output.....Just pointing it out.
    If you look at the pattern for the white primary coil wire, its not a square wave pattern. So the tach adapter for the dyno sort of works but cuts out at times when hooked to it. For dyno dynamics, their tach adapter is made to work with square wave signals only. I went over and over on this with their USA Rep and I guess that's the way it is. They use to offer an inductive tach adapter but that never worked so I guess this is the improved version. Its actually really good for a lot of cars. On mpfi cars I can always get a good signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    My Express van is actually under the knife this summer so to speak. I hurt the L31s short block. Its getting something ALOT more powerful, lol. Going to have to really get it dialed in well especially before I tow with it again. I am really going to push the pump gas running ability of a 23* small block.
    Nice, I think if I ever explode the 109,000 mile engine that is in the van currently I will just find a 97 and later 454 suburban power train to swap in the van and still keep the rpms under 4000. I would not keep the TBI either. Right now though for the most part I am happy and did not kill the fuel mileage. 40hp and 50ft pounds of torque is noticeable when the rpm range did not move up at all.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Nice, I think if I ever explode the 109,000 mile engine that is in the van currently I will just find a 97 and later 454 suburban power train to swap in the van and still keep the rpms under 4000. I would not keep the TBI either. Right now though for the most part I am happy and did not kill the fuel mileage. 40hp and 50ft pounds of torque is noticeable when the rpm range did not move up at all.
    Honestly I would go an 8.1. I have one in my 99 Tahoe and one in my 83 G20. Both are from Express/Savanna vans.

Putting last years before and yesterdays after side by side shows gains. There is some differences in the tests so the results are not exact. The converter was unlocked at the start of the early run. Then it locks mid run that is why the three 3100 rpm readings. Its also using the tacho interface with the white wire. Not all that reliable. So in the later tests I locked the trans in 3rd, locked the converter and used the roller tach estimation. From the discrepancy in the mph to rpm between the runs with different tach sources, after the converter locks, it looks like I am at least 100 rpm off. Not a big deal to me as I was just trying to change stuff and compare with the same setup on the same day. It looks like the torque holds out until about 3700 (3800 if an error is factored in) and then begins to tank faster.

In the factory open loop table, why is the af ratio set so lean? I am getting the closed loop tables dialed in, but noticed if I cold (80F) started the van at idle, It would run to 12.1 on the wide band for a few seconds and then go to around 16.1 until it warmed up enough to go into closed loop or I just drove off then it would go closed loop fast. Once it was running in closed loop, with the fuel mixture in the 14s, the idle was smoother. The open loop idle with such a small cam was not bad, but it definitely likes 14.2 better than 16 in open loop. It seems to go into closed loop faster with the table changes also. I am interested in saving as much money at the pump as I can, but in this case slightly richer seems to give better results.

The project ended today, but in a good way. I learned a lot. I wanted to thank everyone for the input. I very much appreciate the guidance. A startup company decided they wanted delivery vehicle with some character. It is actually going to get wrapped and lowered. Its not my style but I am glad its going to a good home and I got very paid well for my project.

The vortec style heads(just don't buy Jegs home brand) and the ramjet cam were great for the money with towing. No problems pulling 5000 lbs at all power wise, within reason. It will never pull like a diesel. It was the wide gear spacing of the 4l60e that had me wishing for a 4l80e. 3rd some times was too high and 2nd was a long way down ratio wise. First was way too low also for the 350 with more torque. It did it but it was not ideal. The trans is still in great shape so I could not see ripping it out so I just decided move on.

Fuel Injected!
    The project ended today, but in a good way. I learned a lot. I wanted to thank everyone for the input. I very much appreciate the guidance. A startup company decided they wanted delivery vehicle with some character. It is actually going to get wrapped and lowered. Its not my style but I am glad its going to a good home and I got very paid well for my project.

The vortec style heads(just don't buy Jegs home brand) and the ramjet cam were great for the money with towing. No problems pulling 5000 lbs at all power wise, within reason. It will never pull like a diesel. It was the wide gear spacing of the 4l60e that had me wishing for a 4l80e. 3rd some times was too high and 2nd was a long way down ratio wise. First was way too low also for the 350 with more torque. It did it but it was not ideal. The trans is still in great shape so I could not see ripping it out so I just decided move on.
    No suprise on that cam working well. It did ok for me as well in the low-midrange. Its a marine cam designed to make as much torque as possible from off-idle through 4,800 rpm.

Glad someone can get use out of the G-van.

I picked up the vans replacement yesterday. 1996 c2500 with 110,000 miles and 454/4l80e/4.10. It doesn't need much. Some shocks, hoses and all the fluids replaced/flushed. I spent a few hours today removing the old man accessory kit: running boards, bug deflectors, mudflaps, deer whistles, and the window air deflectors. I may not even mess anything except maintenance for a while as it tows 5000 lbs just fine.

Double post
    Last edited by donf; 10-11-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    This is awesome, I just found this thread, going to be studying it alot. I am doing a similar project. on my van now.

The van was a good one. The 4l60e was its down fall though. I built it heavy duty and it held up fine, just had bad gear ratios for towing. Since you are not supposed to use 4th towing and 2nd was way down there it was third and that's about it for towing. I have a 2001 Suburban 8.1L 4l85e now. I don't miss the van much. It was more practical space wise though. Having all that room back there to throw stuff in sort of spoiled me. The Suburban is a lot less work and money so far and does almost everything much better. Read most of Billy Graves posts on Transmissions. It helped me a lot. I like the newer software and Hp tuners a lot better than burning chips with TunerPro also.
    Last edited by donf; 08-08-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    My van is a 1987, it is custom, I painted it twice, we burned up two 700r4's, which is one of the reasons I swapped every thing over to the 1995 stuff, for the 4l60e. I built up a pretty good 700r4 the last time, we were pulling the horse trailer down I-95, I was sleeping, and my wife: Well she was in third, trying to do about 80, and because she was on and off the gas real hard the torque converter was locking and unlocking constantly, so she smoked it, it was bad, I had a small fire I had to quickly put out. So ya I will definitely read about the transmission tuning. The gear ratio's never bother me with 3.70 gears.

Fuel Injected!
    The van was a good one. The 4l60e was its down fall though. I built it heavy duty and it held up fine, just had bad gear ratios for towing. Since you are not supposed to use 4th towing and 2nd was way down there it was third and that's about it for towing. I have a 2001 Suburban 8.1L 4l85e now. I don't miss the van much. It was more practical space wise though. Having all that room back there to throw stuff in sort of spoiled me. The Suburban is a lot less work and money so far and does almost everything much better. Read most of Billy Graves posts on Transmissions. It helped me a lot. I like the newer software and Hp tuners a lot better than burning chips with TunerPro also.
    I love that engine. Have one in my 99 Tahoe with the 425hp Marine cam and headers. With a 4L80E and 3.42 geared 9.5 behind it. Tahoe is on 32" tall P305/50R20s and it loves to cruise. 70 mph is 1,850 rpm and 85 mph is 2,300 rpm. Most of the time I don't even have to force it to kickdown to pass on country roads.

Did you ditch the 454 truck?

The truck is gone. I sold it after I had the suburban for a month or two. I made quite a bit reselling it. Seems low mileage, big block grandpa trucks are in demand.