Thread: Starting to Learn on 95 G30 5.7 for Towing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thank you for the info! I saw the moates adapter, I just thought it would be cleaner to do the chip the other way. Its pretty much the same cost too as cores run about 30 and a few bucks in parts. If not many resolder the chip into the memcal, I may just do it the adapter way as that seems to be working for many. I will keep an eye out for those headers used.

Questions..
    Yesterday I decided to put in the fuel pump. Airtex E3212 crosses to the 95 big block TBI pump. I chose this one because it's still made in the USA and it was fairly cheap on eBay, $20 shipped. The stock pump still put out 11 psi but deadhead pressure was only 14 psi. The new pump install was pretty clean. There is a fat little rubber hose called an Isolator that connects the pump to the sending unit assembly. I did not reuse it, as its old and the insides were coming apart. I remember from the early 90s that that fat hose was for noise, but most aftermarket kits just have standard fuel hose as the Isolators sometimes fail. So I just replaced it with 5/16 fuel injection hose and hi-pressure clamps. The new pump sounds like ball bearings rolling in the tank. If you have ever mounted a Holley Blue or Red pump, that's the type of noise I am talking about. The Airtex is not quite that bad but 3/4 of that volume. I drained the fuel again this morning using the test connector for the fuel pump and noticed when I restricted the pump so it build some pressure the rumble noise almost completely disappeared. Around the 30 psi it was designed for it's an OEM sounding pump, at the 11-12 psi it's a very noisy pump. The deadhead pressure is 45 psi so the pump seems strong. There are a lot of complaints on the internet about Airtex and noise, but not any more than other manufactures though including AC Delco. I am thinking I just got a noisy pump off eBay, but I am wondering if the removal of the Isolator would increase the nose that much. Anyone else run into this noise increase when they upgraded to a higher pressure pump?

Update, I got some advice that Airtex is not that good of a brand anymore, even being made in the USA. I will be getting EP377 pump as a replacement in a few weeks. It's a good thing the tank in the van is so easy to drop and install.
    Last edited by donf; 06-25-2017 at 03:28 AM.

I have a chance to pick up the Edelbrock 3501 MPFI TBI conversion single plane manifold for pretty cheap (under $150). Its missing the fuel rails, fuel pump, chip, throttle linkage and the harness though. The manifold, TB, and injectors are there but covered in massive amounts of grease. Is it worth the effort to try and cobble it together? I have not heard of anyone getting one to run successfully. There are a few post from people with major tuning problems on them. https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...3501/overview/

I have a question, I am trying to start looking at ecm data with tuner pro. I rebuilt the 4l60e transmission this weekend in my van and want to look and make sure the basics are working like I have the proper tps voltage at WOT. So I have an aldl cable plugged into the laptop and the proper drivers installed. I found the 16197427 computer thread http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D and think I need to pick out an adx file in post #2. I looked but does the A217 / A218 in the name cross to anything I am supposed to know about? Same with Trans1 / Trans2? I am thinking that's probably Auto and Manual, but not 100% sure. Sorry if its explained somewhere, I could not find it. If it is you can just link me to the explanation. Thank you for the help!

Fuel Injected!
    You are on the right track.

A217 adx file will give you all the engine data for your van if connected to a 4L60E transmission.
    A218 adx file gives you all the 4L60E transmission data. There are two different messages, hence the Trans1 and Trans 2.

You will want to download all three adx files. Switch between them to see what info they have. If you are concerned with your transmission, I would look at Trans1 first. Trans1 has 60'ish bytes of information where Trans2 only has 30'ish bytes. Trans2 primarily reports the adaptive pressure modifiers.

If you had a manual transmission you would only concern yourself with the A217 adx file.

I am having trouble getting usable info out of Tunerpro v5 with the engine running. It seems to mostly work with the key off, then get all crazy once the engine is started. It will flash between DA:Connected and DA:Error at the bottom of the screen when running. If the engine is off it connects with no problems. TunerPro will not connect at all if the connection is started after engine is running. It has to connect with the engine off first, or if connected while running, the program will say DA:Connecting, and just stay that way, but never connect. I have 5v on ALDL terminal B and M when running. I am guessing the correct mask is $0D, but am not sure. I do see values like TPS change with the engine off so I am thinking $0D is correct. This trouble is present with all three adx files mentioned above. I have the adapter on order to read my stock BIN to be sure its $0D. I am not using a power supply to the laptop. The only connection to the van is the ALDL Cable.

I removed all engine and body grounds this morning and tightened them. I did a voltage drop test the ALDL A pin to ground and the battery negative terminal .00 was the reading. The voltage drop from ALDL A terminal to the engine ground at the ground back of the bell housing is .02v.

I added a listen for silence command into the main macro. All it did was slow the error rate down, it did not let useable data start flowing after the engine was running. After playing with the time out a bit I removed it and returned the macro back to normal.

It almost seems to freeze the program when starting. Somethings may change to crazy numbers but really slowly, but the main readings like TPS, RPM and MAP are mostly frozen where it was when the engine was first started and may change after a few minutes but the reading will not be accurate.

The two LED lights on the ALDL cable also acts very different when the problem is going on. If connected with engine off and then started, the LED pulse very slowly and evenly compared to when the engine was off and data was changing. The van runs fine and was hooked up to a Snap-On Modis Scan Tool a few months ago with no problems at all.

I tested the alternator for excessive a/c voltage as that could cause some problems. but it passed with under .1v a/c

Any ideas on what to try next?
    Last edited by donf; 08-18-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I ran one of those TBI to MPFI kits- I wish I still had it. If you run it you should go EBL w port mod. The harness is easy to make- just be sure of you wiring skills to avoid bad joints.