Thread: Programming suplies

Fuel Injected!

Programming suplies

Burn 2 programmer, ALDL to USB cable, Burn 2 to USB cable, 6 new blank 2732B chips, C.A.T.S. Tuner CD.
    $100.00Resized_20170618_142209.jpgResized_20170618_142327.jpgResized_20170618_142237.jpgResized_20170618_142227.jpgResized_20170618_142312.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Is the cable the one from aldlcables.com? What files are with the cats cd?

Fuel Injected!
    ALDL cable was from moates. Not sure what is on the C.A.T.S CD - just the programming and data logging software - never used it - sold my S-10
    Resized_20170618_142343.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Byron, you still have these items for sale? Where you located? Thanks

That's an ALDLcables.com cable. The Moates cable is a little box with two cables that plug into it, an USB cable and an ALDL connector cable. http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64

The Burn2 is obviously from Moates and a great little programmer.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Six_Shooter, could I use that ALDL-to-USB hooked directly to my computer or do I need to get the Moates with the little box to do data logging? What does the box do for the setup? Is there an advantage to the Moates setup?

Byron: What type is the ALDL--12 or 16 pin?

Sorry for the elementary questions, I'm very new to tuning.

The ALDLcables.com cable works on it's own. The Moates and the ALDLCables.com cables are just two different designs that do the same thing. I haven't used the ALDLCables.com cable, but I do use a Moates cable, and I like that I can replace any cable end easily without needing to buy a whole new cable if anything were to happen to a cable (USB or ALDL interface), even though I haven't yet had the need to do that. lol

The 12 or 16 pin is exactly that, how many pins are in the ALDL connection. OBD1 is 12 pin and OBD2 is 16 pin.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Six_Shooter, thanks for responding and sharing the info about the cables.

By the way, are you also a contributor on the ThirdGen site? I've been doing a lot of reading on this and the TGO site and noticed your log-on name. While all the reading is a significant task in itself, I am beginning to realize the act of tuning is NOT simply a cut and paste exercise. In addition, the readings have shown that tuning requires being somewhat aware of the intricacies associated with programming.

Maybe, I need to reconsider this whole thing.

Yes, that's me at TGO.

The actual tuning is not that difficult and no, you don't need to know a lot about the actual programming of the ECM, especially with programs like TunerPro, where all of that hard work is done for you, you just need to understand how certain parameters relate to actual engine function, which becomes pretty easy to understand once you actually connect and see things happening. Using datalogging and just watching the data tracing (bubble) shift over tables will help you understand what cells are being used at what times and maybe even why.

The parts that Byron is selling are a great cheap way to get into tuning, at least non-real time tuning which is how many of us started. Datalog, make changes program an EEPROM install and repeat. If it were me I'd add an emulator, such as Moates' Ostrich 2.0 so you can make real time changes as the engine is running and see instantly what those changes do. Then when you're happy with the changes program an EEPROM and install until the next tuning session.

Yes the learn curve is steep, but thankfully not that long for the most part.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 07-17-2017 at 05:16 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 57 Handyman View Post
    Six_Shooter, could I use that ALDL-to-USB hooked directly to my computer or do I need to get the Moates with the little box to do data logging? What does the box do for the setup? Is there an advantage to the Moates setup?

Byron: What type is the ALDL--12 or 16 pin?

Sorry for the elementary questions, I'm very new to tuning.
    It is a 12 pin ALDL - yes all still for sale - I am in Wildomar Ca.

Fuel Injected!
    It's been a while since the items were purchased - wasn't sure who's ALDL cable it was. Might have been purchased with the cats software

Fuel Injected!
    Sold