Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 94 Camaro Lt1 + Tunerpro for dummies

Carb and Points!

94 Camaro Lt1 + Tunerpro for dummies

Hi, I am from South Africa. We have got a few muscle cars over here. I got me this 1994 Camaro at the end of last year (2011). I sold my Ford Ranger 4x4 Diesel to buy this car. I found that the muscle car people in South Africa know little to nothing about fuel injection on the muscle cars. They will replace the EFI with carburator as soon as something go wrong. I decide to be different and stay with the EFI after reading everthing I could get my hands on in the last 5 months.
    About this car. It has got 117000 kms on the speedo. The ABS light come on in the morning after about 5 - 10 minutes. It is very heavy on fuel in town ( 2- 4 km/l) and surprisingly economical on the highway where it gives 9 - 10 kms per liter. It is an auto with everything else standard.

I tried a few of the tuners, but decide that I will stay with Tunerpro RT. I also downloaded a few bin files,etc with the help of tunerpro tutorial.
    I need help with the files I need to reed the codes (Error, etc) and I want to start to remove possible problems like a.i.r pump, egr, etc.
    So I need to know how to delete/disable these items.
    I cannot afford to waste money on mistakes and wrong/unnecessary parts and as such want to do this as a running project. My aim is to upgrade this car piece by piece into a nice driveable 383 in a year or two. Also to help a few other people who want to start with tunerpro.
    For now I need the correct files to start Tunerpro to scan the car, or whatever you call it.

Is there anybody who want to help me? What files do I need for this model to start with?
    I imported the USB ALDL cable from the USA and it seems that my Laptop running Win 7 is seeing it as Com 4.
    Kind regards
    Lammie

I posted up the 2 files for the LT1 and TunerPro. The ADX file is what connects to your car to read data. It may give gklitchy data first shot, if so disconnect and re connect and should be solid. It may be worked out in this one.

Also here is a thread with LT1 $EE stuff you can use. I like the Caddilac VP4 towing option bin to start. It has a much better trans shifting then the others.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rmation-EE-EEB

There's also this thread you can read and I gave instructions on how to use the ADX file to record engine data, tranmission data or clear codes. Some tips on flashing as well. You will need WinFlash from TunerCat for $20.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ng-a-spare-ECM

Hope that helps you get started!
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the files.
    I see everywhere the guys talk about ecm with different numbers. Do I assume mine is 16188051, or do I have to check the number somewhere?
    I also got the same question about the spare ECM.Where can I buy a spare ECM? Our country's exchange rate and transport cost, make it very expensive to import, but if I need it i'll have to buy it.

What do you mean by the better shifting of the towing option?
    I have also read that I can install a "sport" mode on my gearbox. Is it worth the effort?
    This weekend I will try to read the Camaro's ECM or is it PCM.
    How do I delete/disable the A.I.R pump electronically?
    Can I change the switching of the radiator fans electronically?
    Thanks for your assistance, it is much appreciated

There are 2 PCM numbers I know of "16188051 and 16181333"

I ususally get my parts from Junk Yard so don't know where to send you for a spare?

Many differences in shift points and firmness of the Caddilac V4P towing option, drives better then the normal big slush from gear to gear.

If you look through the XDF file on the bin is several shifting firmness. One is the performance mode and you'll notice it is all 0 shift times. I changed my tables to 0 shift times and now I have performance shift all the time without doing the wiring and button. It is a much nicer shift from gear to gear and also reduces tranny temps.

Yes you can change fan temp on off times in scalers.

To delete the air pump at the factory did in 1996 was remove Air Diverter Relay from fuse box under hood. Plug air line coming from air filter box and reflash PCM. 2 things you need to do in your PCM bin file is find "Min. Coolant Temp. To Enable Air Pump " in scalers and raise temp to max. Then go to flags and find "Air Pump Diagnostic, Error 29 " and uncheck that error code. Save bin file with new name.

-= =-

Do I assume mine is 16188051, or do I have to check the number somewhere?
    The number is on a white sticker on the ECM/PCM. My ECM is located on the passenger side of the car. It is below the dashboard and on the right wall. It's a silver box. If the passenger lifted his right leg and kicked to the right, he would hit it.

Here is a list of common terms.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...ictionary.html

The TurnerPro RT Data Acquisition Micro-mini startup Guide for Beginners
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-for-Beginners

You should get a good log of your current car. This will provide a baseline for comparing the changes you make.

I also got the same question about the spare ECM
    Most people get the spare ECM from a junk yard. ECMs are reliable.

There's ebay. This seller says they ship worldwide,but I didn't see south africa on the list of countries.
    http://global.ebay.com/Camaro-1994-LT1-Engine-Computer-ECM-PCM-16188051-57L---Programmed-to-your-VIN/220953544954/item

Here is the ebay global buying.
    http://global.ebay.com/?country=za

Robert

Last edited by historystamp; 03-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Not exactly sure of location of his PCM, my LT1 B Body car PCM is under air cleaner under hood. It is an underhood design for the LT1 but I do not know exactly where on a Camaro.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thank you for the information.
    What is a good log?
    Is it the time you do the loging or the quality of the log?

Thanks for Ebay
    The only problem is the transport fee LOL. It will cost approx 400 Dollar to get it here.
    I am still busy to seek other, cheaper means to get my stuff imported.

In the meantime I will work with what I got

Kind regards

Good log is just a data log. Good would be with car warmed up, start log drive all conditions and speeds, save log.

That is expensive to ship to South Africa! These cars were imported all over the world, I know they are in russia and middle east. Maybe shipping from there is cheaper?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Hi

No it also include taxes and also the company who pack and ship (Air) the package to SA. Everybody want to earn a buck LOL.
    Shipping is the biggest piece of the cake.

I have checked my PCM number and it is 16188051 as you predicted.
    should plug in th laptop by tomorrow.

Regards

I'm a novice when it comes to car repair. I'm learning.

You may find RockAuto useful. They have pictures of all the parts for a car. Not for buying the part unless you go beyond desperate.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

1994 CHEVROLET CAMARO 5.7L V8 : Literature : Repair Manual
    HAYNES Part # 24017 Chevrolet Camaro / Pontiac Firebird, '93-'02 $16.27

CHILTON Part # 28284 $17.13

Here is a reprint of the GM Shop Manual. There very detailed. I still find it hard to figure out where the information I want is located. The Haynes/Chilton make a good starting point.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3567516

-----------------------------------

Anyway, here is an interesting article on EGR
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...light=engineer

------------------------------------

Was this car manufactured for leaded or unleaded?
    http://www.southafrica.info/services...fuel081205.htm

The car may not have an O2 sensor. O2 sensors don't work well with leaded gasoline.

An O2 sensor indicates to the ECM how much gas is wasted in the fuel burn. The ECM adjusts to minimize gas wastage.

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 03-10-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: O2 sensor

I've talked with a guy in Dubai who has a 1995 Impala SS with the LT1. It is an export and has no catilitic converters, but did have dual heated O2 sensors even though bin was open loop. He did flash a closed loop bin to his car, replaced the old lead fouled O2 sensors and got way better fuel milage. Now there is unleaded gasoline available there too!

O2 sensors will work with leaded gasoline just not last as long, sensor life is directly related to how much lead is in gasoline!

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Hi
    We got unleaded fuel in SA. The leaded fuel is replaced by LRP fuel. This car was imported when new and according to the vin it was built in the Canada plant.
    I have taken the cat off. It has got the O2 sensors.
    I am still busy with playing around with bin files which I got from the web. Your info help a lot.
    I talked to another 94 Camaro owner near me. Once I got my stuff sorted, we will start with his car. I will forward you my log once done for your comment.
    Our leaded fuel is not of the same quality as yours and our diesel is even worse. LOL In fact our top fuel company, SASOl, export very high quality fuel to other countries. I spoke to a very good and experienced mechanic who is managing a fleet of cars for many years and he said that we should use only unleaded and that they got excellent results with using diesel spec oil in the petrol cars when servicing. He said the new LRP petrol do more harm than good.
    He showed me carburators damaged by the LRP fuel.

Regards

I don't think we have leaded fuel at all anymore? Maybe race fuel or aircraft fuel but not at the pumps for cars. Most staetes also have 10 % ethanol which is horrible on carburators and lawn mowers, snow blowers etc...

What is LRP?

Diesel oil is good in old cars with flat tappet cams as it still has the correct amounts of phousforous and zinc that has been taken out of most off the shelf car oils. I use Amsoil 10w/40 labled with added Zinc and Phousphourous for my old flat tappet cam cars. You have a roller cam, not flat tappet so this is not an issue. Most new oils are for roller cams.

Your data log will show if your bin in PCM is running open or closed loop and tell a lot more! If your car had a cat from factory it was probably a closed loop system.

-= =-

I do not understand all the effects of unleaded fuel as a replacement for leaded fuel.

But I got this from:
    http://www.southafrica.info/services...fuel081205.htm

"Unleaded petrol has been available to South African motorists since 1996. "

Lead replacement

"Premium, or super, will be replaced with the new Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP), with an octane grade of 95 at the coast and 93 inland."

Do you really need LRP fuel for this car. I assume the car was designed for unleaded fuel. Maybe the USA fuel is the same as LRP fuel. Just curious.

It would seem to me that the car ran on leaded fuel for at least two years. Wouldn't that mess up the catalytic converter since removed?

My question is what effect would running the car on leaded fuel have?

my guess catalytic convert & as EagleMark points out O2 sensors.

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 03-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Leaded fuel KILLS catilitic converters. I don't know the chemical reaction or specifics... his car or any car for that matter from back around late 70's does not need lead. Valve seats in heads were all changed around that time to last without leaded fuel.

O2 sensors do work with leaded fuel but life expectency drops considerably. That's why you find WB O2 sensors for sale from Dyno shops with only a few hours on them.

-= =-