Thread: Help tracing an Injector wire short

Carb and Points!

Help tracing an Injector wire short

Hi, new here and at FI. I put a 1993 TBI 5.0L in a 1966 c10 pickup. Its a new build and was running great and all of a sudden started running bad. I noticed one injector was not spraying. I switched connectors and saw the injector worked, tested for voltage and am getting nothing from that side. (I am using a Howel Engineering harness, pink is 12v) I see that the 12v wire was pinched and is showing the bare wire, so maybe it shorted something. I ran a 12v wire to the injector and started it and it runs fine. Does anyone know where the other end of that wires goes? Could it be a blown fuse? Do injectors have a separate fuse for each injector? Any help would be appreciated.

Administrator
    Howdy, and welcome.

Did you do the work to install the wiring? Using fuses to protect any power wires is smart engineering and I'd be very surprised if Howell's kit didn't come with fuses or instructions to add them. It's tough to say where the fuse is without a manual. Injector power wires should come from a key on power source so if you don't have a wiring diagram from Howell I'd start by figuring out what wires connected to the key, or to a relay powered by the key, and work through the harness from there.

It looks like Howell's installation manuals are available here: http://howellefi.com/support/installation-manuals/
    I'm not sure which kit you have but this might be the one: http://howellefi.com/pdfs/ThrottleBo...tionsREV15.pdf
    It mentions a fuse block so the next step would be to check the fuses in the block. None of the manuals I've looked at show the fuse block so look for a legend or diagram in the cover of the fuse panel. If there's nothing in the fuse block to ID the fuses you can test each one either with a test light or by removing them and looking at each one to see if its blown. There are a number of youtube videos on checking the fuses with a test light. This one may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrsXwwukFc. Be sure to test with the key on.

Good luck.

Carb and Points!
    Thank You, I didn't do the wiring (wish I did). I found a fuse block, I will make sure they all fuses are good. The more I read about TBI the more I like it. Can't wait to start improvements, this site is great. I was thinking if not a bad fuse I will try and check continuity from fuse block to injector wires. If I have to I will run new keyed hot wire to injector although I hate to booger up this nice harness.

Carb and Points!
    Well, easy fix, I found fuse block and found bad fuse. I wouldn't have thought separate fuses for each injector but I am still learning.