Thread: Buying a spare ECM

Electronic Ignition! Dailydriver's Avatar

Buying a spare ECM

Since I live in Germany and I want to be prepared if anything should go wrong during flashing, I am thinking about buying a spare ECM just in case.

I have a 16188051 ECM in my 95 Caprice with the 4L60E. Can I buy any 16188051? Does that number clearly specify the ECM hardware (e.g. knock module...)?
    Is there a problem if the ECM came off a manual car? Will it work with the 4L60E by simply flashing my bin file (and of course changing the VIN)?

Thanks!
    '95 Chevy Caprice LT1, B4U
    '95 Mini Cooper, TBI
    '66 Pontiac GTO
    '57 Ford Fairlane 500

PCMs are the same but the bin is of course differant. Knock modules are differant too but I do not know how many possibilities so just use the one that came with car. 4.3L L99 V8 knock module is differant but looks the same and plugs in the same.

I had these same worries when I did mine and have never had an issue. Couple things you need to make sure is charging system and battery in car is good and fully charged, I usually run mine a few minutes before a flash. Also fully charged battery in laptop. No chargers on either is the rule but some have broken this and got away with it. Also no interuptions during flash like screen savers, power savers, virus protection, wireless on laptop, car alarms no stereo plalying in car, don't use the power windows, turn off heater fan. Turn key on and wait for beeps to end. Why? I don't know but I get a failure if I start before, probably do to other modules talking during this time. There is also an issue with some garage door openers I read somewhere?

In the end I have flased mine 20-30 times with no issues.

Do you use TunerPro? Do you have climate control? If you do use TP and don't have climate control I will post up a new adx file with the HVAC (climate control silence command removed for you to test. I think it is the issue with needing to connect twice on some cars.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Thanks for your quick response!
    I never had any issue while flashing, just want to make sure since that's my daily driver that I won't ever be grounded.
    The waiting period after ignition on is as far as I know the GM security time (like a very low level tuning protection)
    I use TP but have an A/C - what problem (connecting twice) did you mean? I am not aware of this...
    '95 Mini Cooper, TBI
    '66 Pontiac GTO
    '57 Ford Fairlane 500

Some guys are having problems connecting to engine data with the adx file. Have to connect and get bad data, dis connect and re connect and gets good data. It has a silence command for Buick Roadmaster that has climate control (HVAC) and I think that is the issue for cars without it. If you don't have climate control, only regular heat and AC and would like to try an ADX file for TunerPro without it I will post one up.

-= =-

Super Moderator
    i've done pretty much all of the no-nos in the same flashing session with my V6 P66 unit and no failures.

not that i recommend it, but it PROBABLY won't brick the PCM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

@EagleMark: Yepp, that would be me. I even started the "jumpy signals" thread. I just didn't realize you menat that problem. Cool, of course I would like to try the adx, if you post it.

@RobertISaar: I've done the charger "no" on my laptop, too. I'm not really worried that anything happens, just want to be on the safe side. You never know if your laptop decides to freeze in the worst possible moment...
    '95 Mini Cooper, TBI
    '66 Pontiac GTO
    '57 Ford Fairlane 500

NICE!!! A '66 GTO, in Germany, I bet that turns some heads.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I didn't drive it in Germany yet, I just moved back from the US this winter and brought it with me. Waiting for summer now...
    '95 Mini Cooper, TBI
    '66 Pontiac GTO
    '57 Ford Fairlane 500

Quote Originally Posted by Dailydriver View Post
    @EagleMark: Yepp, that would be me. I even started the "jumpy signals" thread. I just didn't realize you menat that problem. Cool, of course I would like to try the adx, if you post it.
    Here you go. Right now it is set to do Engine Data. You can click Aqcusition, Edit Definition (or the button with 2 gears) and change the connection to Transmission Connection and monitor to Transmission data. Or Engine Connection and monitor to Clear Codes Data. There are Item lists for Engine, Transmission and error codes.

EDIT: Thanks for the LT1 Bin file! I got it and will post it in that section soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Electronic Ignition! Fuzzy from MN1988's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    PCMs are the same but the bin is of course differant. Knock modules are differant too but I do not know how many possibilities so just use the one that came with car. 4.3L L99 V8 knock module is differant but looks the same and plugs in the same.
    If you switch the knock modules are you able to use the L99 4.3 pcm? How much would it cost to get a new knock module for that pcm?
    Winning a race in a Vette with you and a buddy is awesome. Winning a race in an Impala with you and 3 other friends is BADASS

1994 Impala SS - Borla headers, K&N CAI, 3.73 gears, Eaton posi, Inland Empire 3.5" DS, UMI upper and lower extended control arms, Bilstein shocks, Eibach drop springs, Spohn sway bars - Always a work in progress

Don't know the cost? But if it's just a spare then swap your knock module in. It's under a cover with 2 screws on top, very easy change.

-= =-