Thread: Delphi MAP Sensors - Can you identify fakes?

Carb and Points!

Delphi MAP Sensors - Can you identify fakes?

Hey folks. I've been stung twice now; by fake Delphi MAP sensors.

I purchased them from a local parts store, by giving them the Delphi number. They claimed to have access to Genuine Delphi, and paid about $50 for each sensor.

Each one worked initially and I was able to make good tunes with them. Later (6 months to a year) each sensor failed completely. That's a small problem. The big problem is that when the new "actually Genuine" sensor was installed... now the tune is messed up due to it being calibrated for an inaccurate MAP sensor. So I have to spend a lot of extra time and headache.

The failure modes were identical. Suddenly one morning, car hard to start. Was reading very low MAP readings with complete loss of drivability and not idling.

When I broke the sensor apart, I found a small un-coated circuit board in the sensor. It was crudely connected to the termination points by what was probably a 2 year old child. Then, the front side of the board was exposed in the engine vacuum circuit, where moisture and whatnot has corroded it and undoubtedly caused it to fail.

So my question to you is - is it possible to tell by pictures if these are the real deal or not? I thought I was going to avoid the eBay trap by purchasing locally but that bit me in the rear.

Thanks again,
    David
    IMG_3107 (Medium).jpg

IMG_3106 (Medium).jpg

Sensor_sm.jpg

Administrator
    Wow! That looks like a garbage part for certain. I only wonder how we could be certain that isn't what Delphi is selling these days? We still have some decent luck with NAPA as long as we buy their more expensive parts. I also have a local A/C Delco distributor that I could check with. Delco isn't owned by GM anymore but maybe the MAP sensors are slow moving enough that maybe they'll be NOS. Also, are your numbers good at any GM dealers?

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Wow! That looks like a garbage part for certain. I only wonder how we could be certain that isn't what Delphi is selling these days? We still have some decent luck with NAPA as long as we buy their more expensive parts. I also have a local A/C Delco distributor that I could check with. Delco isn't owned by GM anymore but maybe the MAP sensors are slow moving enough that maybe they'll be NOS. Also, are your numbers good at any GM dealers?
    Hi thanks for the response. I ordered some Delphi from Five-Oh Motorsports where I have also ordered Siemens injectors. They came in with a solid front body around the vacuum nipple, and a brown connector key insert. Looking the same thing up on GM Parts Direct, the part they depict appears the same, and has the same sort of sticker on it.

The counterfeit ones had slightly different body, without a removable connector keying insert. The GM part number is 12223861, which does come up as good, for about $100 or so. What I should have done is rejected the ones before using them but I wasn't wise to this issue at that point. Live and learn!

Sincerely, David