Thread: ECU is Rocket Hot - Almost too hot to touch. Is This Normal?

ECU is Rocket Hot - Almost too hot to touch. Is This Normal?

Hey everyone,

I am chasing down a strange fueling problem. One thing I noticed was that the ECU was VERY hot to the touch. Much hotter than anything in its vicinity (including heater core). Is this normal?

I am datalogging and running under emulation w/ autoprom.

The truck runs runs very well but at random intervals it stops fueling. Then it runs terribly. Wideband pegs high at 22.3, BLM and INT both max out. So it's trying to fuel but for some reason it doesn't.

New fuel pump recently installed and voltage to pump reads good. Not saying this isn't a problem but seems unlikely. Truck never completely dies.

Thoughts?

An ECM getting too hot to touch is not normal. They will get mildly warm, due to the injector drivers and other outputs, but again, only mildly warm.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Not sure what was going on. Emulation from the autoprom has been troublesome at best for me. I decided to route the cables down to the passenger floorboard and lay the ECU on its side for now. Also not even going to try emulation anymore. I flashed a chip and plugged it into the G1 header. Problem seems to have gone away. I will just go through the process of reflashing the chip each time as my tune changes. A bit of a pain but at least it seems to work. Fingers crossed that it continues to work.

MAC

Updating thread in case someone else has a similar problem and finds themselves here. In my case this was caused by a loose connection on pin A16. Was only hanging on by 2-3 strands of wire. This pin is the ground wire that the ECU pulses for the #1 fuel injector. I repaired the connection and things have settled down ever since.