Thread: 93 350 tbi E6 mask 4l60e my changes dont seem to effect engine at all

Carb and Points!

93 350 tbi E6 mask 4l60e my changes dont seem to effect engine at all

I have an 88 wrangler I have been running a tbi motor in for a few years. Last winter I rebuilt a 350 with a vortec roller cam block, some summit aluminum heads and a computer friendly cam. compression was calculated to almost exactly 10.5 to 1. I am running a 4l60e trans. I purchased an apu1 from moates along with tunerpro rt5. Currently I am using the following files. I have noticed that no matter I change a setting to, even a crazy setting that there is no change in running. My dashboard in tunerpro also seems to not be working correctly. data jumping and things like the tach not working at all. Fairly new to tuner pro. Any help or suggestions would be great. Vehicle does run, it is just not happy. I am around 13 psi fuel pressure and am running rich at 10.5-11 to one air fuel ratio. Thanks for any help Jason
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeperz View Post
    I have an 88 wrangler I have been running a tbi motor in for a few years. Last winter I rebuilt a 350 with a vortec roller cam block, some summit aluminum heads and a computer friendly cam. compression was calculated to almost exactly 10.5 to 1. I am running a 4l60e trans. I purchased an apu1 from moates along with tunerpro rt5. Currently I am using the following files. I have noticed that no matter I change a setting to, even a crazy setting that there is no change in running. My dashboard in tunerpro also seems to not be working correctly. data jumping and things like the tach not working at all. Fairly new to tuner pro. Any help or suggestions would be great. Vehicle does run, it is just not happy. I am around 13 psi fuel pressure and am running rich at 10.5-11 to one air fuel ratio. Thanks for any help Jason
    Does it feel like it's running in limp mode? Do you have a check engine light? The last time I saw an issue like that, the chip or header wasn't seated properly. check your connections.

Carb and Points!
    i will double check, if i remember right i have tried putting just the chip in the ecm and it ran the same way. if i make a change i just have to save it and tell it to upload to emulator right?

Carb and Points!
    sorry it took so long to get back. i do not want to tell you what my background is, but I am very embarrassed by what I found. Your idea got me going in the right direction. I had the ribbon cable on the g2 socket from moates backwards. here is a pic with it the correct way. I have not had a chance to use it yet, but at least now the hardware will be correct.20170525_212656.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Ha, we've all been there. Glad you got it figured out.

Hey Jeeperz, I am going through a similar build as you right now. I rebuilt the top end of the 350 in my 1993 K1500 with Vortec heads and an emission friendly cam (no roller though - I am jealous of your build). It also has the 4L60E. The ECU in my truck is 16168625 memcal is BBMC and has Mask $E6. I am also climbing the learning curve of tuner pro and Autoprom. Maybe we can help each other along the way. My #1 lesson learned for now is to read the program of the stock chip. You need a HDR1 from moates to do this. Only costs $10. I wish I would have purchased the HDR1 with the autoprom and I am suprised that is not a general recommendation.

Couple of questions for you:

What ECU are you running?
    What is the BBC code on your memcal chip?

Good luck,

AC

Carb and Points!
    thks for the compliment. ill enjoy it more when it runs right though lol. same ecu, my memcal is bdjy. always welcome to ask questions. I am new to tuning but have been a tech for 20 plus years, got sick of auto industry and am in school for Electrical Engineering. I stayed home this weekend to work on this thing. I have a trail ride coming up in late june and want it pretty dialed in by then.

Hey man, any updates here? I found out that I needed to advance the timing in the lower map areas (say 40-80 kPa and less than 2400 RPM) quite a bit to get my vortec headed TBI to even think about running well. Let me know. Hope all is well.

Carb and Points!
    sorry it took so long to report back. Lots of progress today. I was talking to Dave from moats on Wednesday about emulation and my thoughts on the programmer not working at all. Aside from their tech hours only being during the day tues-thurs, Dave there is super willing to help and very knowledgeable. Dave suspected my ecm was stuck in limp mode, and that is why it would not respond to any programming. No code 51 for bad memcal. The Jeep was a runner driver for the last 5 plus years, I simply pulled the engine and rebuilt it, with heads and a computer friendly cam. I honestly had never really driven it more than a few block in town to realize I was in limp mode. I did not notice that the trans was stuck in second and not shifting. I had never taken it about 20-25 mph. I took out all the moates stuff and put in my stock memcal and it was still in limp mode. I replaced ecm and memcal with a good used one and everything is working better. My aem wideband was almost always pegged on the rich side, and i was burning fuel like crazy. I ran your bin file Mac and burnt a chip and installed it. Jeep ran the best it has run by far since the newer motor went in. Best part was that the wideband was reading around 12 afr on startup and running pegged lean driving it above 1800 rpm. Tells me it is reading the tune on the burnt chip. I had some pinging on the high way so I backed off my timing 5-8 degrees when I got home. I am going to up the whole bpw above 1800 rpm by 10 points and see how tomorrow goes. I am going wheeling next weekend with the jeep and do not want to jinx things trying to emulate before then. Ill keep you posted about what I find there when I try it. Dave at moates did say that they often have trouble if you try emulating with a zif socket. That might be your case Mac. I also want to say thks to Dave from the forums here for reaching out to me and double checking how I had some of my hardware set up.