Thread: Read thestock MEMCAL in my truck. Not sure what to do next.

Read thestock MEMCAL in my truck. Not sure what to do next.

Not sure if this belongs in TP section or GM EFI section. I am using TP so posting here. Truck is 1993 k1500 5.7 automatic with TBI. Swapped on new vortec heads and new cam.

Today I used HDR1 and autoprom to read my stock memcal. ECU is 16168625 BBMC. Strangely I could not find any online help about what kind or size the factory chip is. Seems like everyone takes this for granted. So I just guessed randomly about what the chip was and Tunerpro was seemed happy reading my chip from the Autoprom when I selected 27C256. I tried a few others but got errors. Hopefully I didn't break anything. For what it's worth, the verify chip with buffer test gave a positive result.

I have attached the BIN file and some pictures of my ECU.

I have tried loading the stock BIN to the autoprom and running under emulation. The truck starts runs poorly. None of the gauges in tunerpro make sense or seem to line up. For example:
    • Throttle position does not change but TPS voltage does.
    • Desired RPM reads 0 when the truck is running (or trying to run)

I am using Advanced $E6 TP5 v250.xdf and A201 $E6 TP5 v250.adx.

Thanks for any and all help. This is beyond frustrating. I have spend 9 hours on this today and feel like I have gone backwards.

AC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

The correct binary file size for $E6 is 64K, 27C512.

dave w

Thanks Dave. The BIN looks a lot better now. Uploaded for future reference. 16168625 BBMC 1993 K1500 5.7 4L60E
    Last edited by MAC; 05-22-2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect BIN file

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    Thanks Dave. The BIN looks a lot better now. Uploaded for future reference. 16168625 BBMC 1993 K1500 5.7 4L60E
    The should be 64K not the 32K posted.

dave w

Stock BIN attached.

I had to manually set the buffer addressing section of Tunerpro's Moates PROM read/write utility to 00FFFF.

I think this will probably work under emulation and I will be ready to do some data logging. I do have a wideband connected and logging.

Question is - what should I do next? Tune with wideband? Or tune VE BLM following the method found here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...2s-spreadsheet and here http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial!

If I should tune VE BLM - can someone point me in the right direction on how to "turn off" the following:

1. EGR
    2. PE.
    3. Air pump.
    4. DFCO
    5. Hiway Lean Cruise if applicable.

What are the various settings under $E6?

Thanks,

AC

I would use WBO2 for tuning, see post #25 & 26 in the link below for a spreadsheet I put together for tuning with WBO2. With the WBO2 spreadsheet, only the EGR is disabled. Set the temperature for EGR ON to 151 (Celsius) and / or minimum speed for EGR ON to 255 MPH to disable the EGR.

dave w

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...eadsheet/page2

Thanks for the assist Dave. Finally got to drive the truck today. It has been over a year

Drove it very gently to a friends house, went and got gas, and then back home. Not bad for the first time out. Datalogs attached. WB02 still has some bugs so pay no mind. Do you (and anyone else) mind taking a look and let me know if you see anything grossly out of whack?

I think these logs were done before I remembered to change L51FE to $020F meaning that knock retard is not correct.

I have a background in HVAC controls programming so I know I am over-thinking this. I am confused by your comment "Set the temperature for EGR ON to 151 (Celsius) and / or minimum speed for EGR ON to 255 MPH to disable the EGR". My confusion comes from my "programmer" thought process around 'AND' logic as well as 'OR' logic.

Does your statement above mean that to disable EGR, I have to both things you say above?
    If only one thing was "true" (say I was going 260 MPH in my truck ) and engine coolant temp was 100 (Celsius), would this keep EGR off?

Lastly, how can I learn more about the priority array and logic "behind the scenes" of the computer and how it is programmed? To say that another way, how do I know who "wins" in a situation where the logic is not in agreement.

I use the belt and suspenders approach to programming the PROM Chip. My use of and / or was grammar not "logic". Setting EGR ON at 151 Celsius will keep the EGR from coming on. ...or... Setting the EGR ON at 255 MPH will keep the EGR from coming on. Having both EGR ON at 151 Celsius ... and ... EGR ON at 255 MPH is a belt and suspenders way of programming the EGR OFF in the PROM Chip.

dave w

Thanks for the clarification Dave. Makes sense now.