Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another Conversion

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 53 Catalina 292 View Post
    I'm chuckling at your fuel/fuel gauge situation. ("You're out of gas, man," it's saying, and you're thinking, "What's wrong with this dumb gauge?") Nobody else ever has problems like that, least of all me, you know. Rrright!.
    Exactly!!! I was testing ohms and voltage drops every where i could!!! Lol. I knew i put 5 gal in. But. Ive no idea how many hours i ran it afterwards haha. And did not realize that i purchased the 21 gal tank no the 18. Lol. Lots of fuel to move that gauge

But i will recheck the timing today. Should be at 0 w the spout unplugged iirc

Fuel Injected!
    Well. I checked the timing. It was dead on 0° but something was rattling and bugging the crap out of me so i pulled the air cleaner off. Took the base to my garage and drilled the stupid heat riser rivets and removed that rattling p.o.s. took it for a test spin. Hmm seems to have more go from a stop sign. And that rattle is gone!

Fuel Injected!
    Meh, decided to remove the original breather that came with it that was 13" and go with a 10" open breather so i can install a better and sturdy finned valve cover thats not leaking /warped and it is a bit taller than the one on there now so the smaller diameter gives me the right clearances and i can wipe out the oil leaks. :)

Fuel Injected!
    Well, today I took it for a ride to Lowes with my nephew and on the way there all was well (not that it was bad at all) then on the way back he accidentally kicked loose the park neutral switch. it has more power without it in park/neutral but it was missing information from the vss and threw a code for both vss as well as ignition timing control. So, VSS is on the way from JTR. now the question is I noticed the VSS is 2 wire. I also noticed the ecu only has a slot at A10 which is Brown wire. what does the other wire go to? power, ground, uhh? lol

Fuel Injected!
    On another note. Jtr has apparently had some setbacks... Company that made the vss for them went out of business a long while back. And the brother that made them after that passed on 3 weeks ago so it will be delayed a little while as he has all but one of the parts needed to make it. (The item is on the way to them)

Fuel Injected!
    and because I'm impatient... I also ordered a vss from summit racing...
    250-4153
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-4153

so we shall see.

Fuel Injected!
    Alright, so its been a while. I replaced the piston rings. ( long story but fixed oil leaks caused by Blow-By) I currently have everything installed minus the VSS. and as long as I keep it in "Park/neutral" no check engine light. but here is my issues.

1. at startup its perfect. even idles down very nicely.
    2. if I quickly actuate the throttle it fires out the throttle body.
    3. Driving when I try to give it a little gas I can feel it fall off then back on again
    4. it ran good on my way to and from the muff shop. and good on the way to work. then on the way home it went blah. ( makes me think about the fuel tank and aeration) I am going to check fuel pressure but don't know exactly what it should be.
    5. Is the Original 1bbl intake mani too restrictive for the gm 2 bbl TBI?????

and my vac is pulling right at the base of good. 18 inch lbs and I think I may need to replace the hydraulic lifters as well since after adjusting the lash I found that a couple got loose after 1 turn... but its quiet at the moment.

Ohh and side note... that vss from summit racing is a 8k pulse. that was not on the main page so I returned it. but I did finally get the one from the JTR guy. VERY nice construction.....
    Last edited by r.e.c.enthusiasts; 12-23-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Well, i know its been a while. Ive had 2 inline pumps go hydro static lock on me. Now im ordering a aeromotive 200 in tank fuel pump and a new tank as mine from lmc truck was very flimsy in my opinion and it cracked (couple years old as well so...) But i also have a question. The vac signal on the tbi. Its sitting on the factory l6 250 1 bbl intake with an adapter. Would that small port to the 2 large ports cause some bad /low vac signals? Its not throwing a code but it makes me wonder. Would putting the clifford 6=8 intake exhaust improve those numbers? Im fairly certain it will improve everything else. But 1 thing at a time. ��

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by r.e.c.enthusiasts View Post
    Well, i know its been a while. Ive had 2 inline pumps go hydro static lock on me. Now im ordering a aeromotive 200 in tank fuel pump and a new tank as mine from lmc truck was very flimsy in my opinion and it cracked (couple years old as well so...) But i also have a question. The vac signal on the tbi. Its sitting on the factory l6 250 1 bbl intake with an adapter. Would that small port to the 2 large ports cause some bad /low vac signals? Its not throwing a code but it makes me wonder. Would putting the clifford 6=8 intake exhaust improve those numbers? Im fairly certain it will improve everything else. But 1 thing at a time. 
    Assuming you are talking about a 4bbl intake with an TBI to 4bbl adapter plate. It would work MUCH better than the OEM monojet intake. I saw a dyno test with a 2bbl carb and 1 barrel intake on a Ford 300 I6 where to Ford engine lost power with the 2bbl car and 1 bbl intake. The swapped a 4 bbl intake onto it and kept the 2bbl carb on an adapter and gained power everywhere.

Also keep in mind injector flow rates correspond with horsepower more than CID. I swapped an older P-van 292 to TBI for a friend of mine that owned a roach coach with one years ago. Ended up using a 2.8 TBI unit from a S10. The 292 was 115 HP the way it rolled out of GM. The 2.8 was 120 hp. The 4.3 is 160-190 depending on Z or B vin in the Astro/Safari. No matter which way you do it the chip needs to be heavily reworked. The I6 requires much more timing than the swirl ports on the V6/V8. I would try bringing the timing up to about 10-12° with the connector unplugged. Should give about 30-32° total advance at WOT and more like 48-52° at 3,000 rpm free reving unloaded. The smaller throttle bores and smaller injectors of the 2.8 TBI were a better match for the Anemic 292 I6. Putting a V6/V8 TBI unit on a stock I6 is like putting a 750 double pumper on a stock 305.

You need to get an ALDL cable to Datalog, TunerProRT and a convert am ECM to a flash chip along with a Chip Burner from Moates.net. I really like datalogging with WinALDL for the old 160 baud rate ECMs. My steps to making it run right would be as follows once you are able to datalog and burn chips. Find the OEM timing curves for a factory 250 distributor. Convert the specs for the vacuum advance from vacuum specs to manifold pressure. The centrifical advance should be straight foward. Whatever the OEM base timing is gets programmed in the lowest RPM 100 kpa table cell. Then add the centrifical advance to that number and fill in the various rpm values. At the point interpolate the values between what you know. Vacuum advance comes next. Will say 0 degrees at 5 in/hg and say 10 degrees at 12 in/hg. Then fill in those values to the table. Remember that Vacuum is Baro minus MAP KPA. At sea level 100.4 KPa is roughly 30 in/hg manifold pressure.
    If you read 18 in/hg on a vacuum gauge that is a manifold pressure of about 12 in/hg which IIRC is in the 40-45 kpa range. From there measure the fuel pressure and calculate the injector flow rate and corresponding BPWC for your 250. Once those changes are made you will need to datalog and record the BLM values. The BLM values can then be used to adjust the VE tables. The I6 is going to also want ALOT of AE fuel added to the TPS and MAP AE fuel tables. I would probably double what is there for the stock V6 as a starting point for the I6. Better to have the engine blow a little black smoke than have it shot a fireball out of the TBI.
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Ahh yes. My apologies. As of right now its a factory 1 bbl intake with an adapter to a gm tbi. It idles quite nicely and drives okay but gutless. I just ordered a clifford ram flow 6=8 4bbl intake and truck headers And the tank setup today. Soon i will be able to get it back on the road! Although i am curious. When i hook up the vss i wonder if not having a egr would cause more issues. Side note. The guy at clifford says it does not run well on their intake...

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by r.e.c.enthusiasts View Post
    Ahh yes. My apologies. As of right now its a factory 1 bbl intake with an adapter to a gm tbi. It idles quite nicely and drives okay but gutless. I just ordered a clifford ram flow 6=8 4bbl intake and truck headers And the tank setup today. Soon i will be able to get it back on the road! Although i am curious. When i hook up the vss i wonder if not having a egr would cause more issues. Side note. The guy at clifford says it does not run well on their intake...
    The TBI? If anything a properly dialed in TBI will always run better than a carb on the same manifold. EGR should be disabled in the tuning or else it will cause issues.

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave is the man. He can make anything into anything. Turn any distributor into an HEI with any module. Best quality stuff available.

This post was in reference to Dave Ray at DavessmallbodyHEIs. I didn't notice the date on the post I was replying to.
    Last edited by tmoble; 10-08-2018 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
    Dave is the man. He can make anything into anything. Turn any distributor into an HEI with any module. Best quality stuff available.

This post was in reference to Dave Ray at DavessmallbodyHEIs. I didn't notice the date on the post I was replying to.
    Link to Dave's Small Body HEI http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Huh... Interesting. Thank you but im past that at this point. Already have a big cap comp controlled new dist from summit or rock auto. But the guys here guided me to it and it works as its supposed to. Right now im just waiting on my new boyd welding baffled rear tank with aeromotive phantom 200 baffled in tank fuel pump. After i double check to make sure that fixed my up hill battles i will then try out my bran new 6=8 intake and exhaust from clifford.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The TBI? If anything a properly dialed in TBI will always run better than a carb on the same manifold. EGR should be disabled in the tuning or else it will cause issues.
    Yea. I have to buy some gear. Was kinda hoping i could find a person around here (100 miles or so) to guide me. Im pretty good with computers but seeing as i just dropped 2g on the pump tank and manifold setup. Kind of slim on budget.