Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another Conversion

Fuel Injected!
    Okay, so as to what one of the guys said before. Its about time I upgrade the gauges any rate, so. I'm gonnna order a new bezel when I save up for it. But first thing is replacing my lower thermostat housing so I can relocate the coolant temp switch to the housing and install a coolant temp probe for the gauge in the head. Its up and running right now but I need to wire in the c.e.l. To a place on my dash somewhere before I start driving it. And I need to tune the chip as well.

as for your question for original location. Its right over the exhaust manifold currently. And I think it would be better suited at the front of the engine.
    Last edited by r.e.c.enthusiasts; 08-20-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    There was a balloon in one of your posts, from Fast 355, saying you need the 4.3 injectors, PROM chip and netres pack. You didn't know what he meant, (wish I did), but you already had the 4.3 injectors and PROM chip. I don't know if the reason you need the 4.3 PROM is because of number of cylinders or engine size, or both. Did you ever find out what netres pack means?
    I just saw the pictures you posted - late 60s Chevy pickup? Them was purty thangs. Or maybe I just think so because they were new when I was young.

Fuel Injected!
    I believe i do have the 4.3 injectors(size of engine/injectors closest match i believe) same for the p-rom. But i still dont know whatthe netres pack is... And yes 69 chevy c10 my dad handed down to me. I helped him rebuild that engine a few times. I also remember the choke fouling up many o camping trips. And he would find a way to make it work lol. But when i got it. I found plenty of things he did that were no good and i had to repair n replace. Lol. This truck is fond memories for me. Its never gonna go anywhere till i die and hopefully it will go to my kids.

Fuel Injected!
    After a short search i found on this site netres is the limp home mode for the engine.. This p-rom and netres pack and wire harness and sensors all came off a 91 astro van v6 4.3l. Now i just need to program the p-rom for the right 4.1l engine.

Fuel Injected!
    Nice to have a vehicle with happy family memories - who'd guess that the nuisance of having choke trouble on a camping trip would trigger good memories decades later? Kind of shows to go ya not to sweat the small stuff. I have a 91 Cutlass Cruiser handed down to me by my folks, now gone to be with the Lord, that I'm occasionally working at getting back in shape. Thanks for the research and info about netres pack. Is that built into the PCM, do you think, or a separate module? The need for programming surprises me, the size of the engine fed by your donor system and your engine size being so close. In my ignorance, I wonder if substituting one injector from a 2.8 or 2.5 TBI would lean the idle mix, and still give you enough at wide open throttle. If the computer just regulates pulse width, and the injector nozzle flows less, hmmm. Nah, too simple - couldn't possibly work. Or could it?

Fuel Injected!
    I think the netres pack is the soldered chip next to the p-rom. As for the smaller injector i kinda like the idea of programming it better. But i will go look at the tbi units at the yard. But most of them have 1 bbl for the smaller units with same size injector

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, come to think of it, the 2.5 injector is sized to run a, well, 2.5 engine - would likely flow more than one injector of the 4.3. If a 2.8/173 has 2 injectors ( I don't know about that), one would maybe flow enough for 1.4 litres/86 c.i. So one 4.3 injector and one 2.8 injector only flow enough for 217 c.i., maybe not enough for the 250 at wide open throttle. So that line of thought seems to be at a dead end, which is OK, because it wasn't your favorite anyway. Now you don't have that excuse for another trip to the salvage yard. You'll have to come up with another one.
    The soldered netres pack situation means I'd better hunt for a 4.3 PCM to start with.

Fuel Injected!
    Well. Got the check engine light wired up and the diag switch. No codes present... but upon my neighborhood test drive at low rpm it seems fine. But if I put it under load it cuts out momentarily off and on....

Fuel Injected!
    I think I have to add the vss

Fuel Injected!
    All right! You've got it mobile! That's a big step in the right direction. Don't be pushing those Mustangs around too bad at the stop lights.

Fuel Injected!
    Get anywhere yet sorting the VSS and cutting out momentarily under load?

Fuel Injected!
    Nope. Have not purchased it yet....

Fuel Injected!
    Okay.... So i still have not purchased the vss. However. Ive got my fuel guage verified. (was working. Just not enough fuel which lead to another issue.) and its not shutting off. So ive taken it to put some fuel in. Its driving... But its a little off at take off.not enough go at a stop. Dont know bout hills or anything. No codes yet either!

Fuel Injected!
    Great that you're at this stage. I'm chuckling at your fuel/fuel gauge situation. ("You're out of gas, man," it's saying, and you're thinking, "What's wrong with this dumb gauge?") Nobody else ever has problems like that, least of all me, you know. Rrright! Maybe the initial timing could be advanced, a couple of degrees at a time, to address the take off concern. No codes is usually a good thing, but sometimes you wish for one to tell you what's wrong. Some years/makes with cable driven speedometers mounted the VSS at the speedometer, others with electronic speedometers put the VSS in the trans where the speedo cable, formerly used, was installed. I don't know what 91 Astrofaris did, but a parts lookup in the Rock Auto website would be informative.

Fuel Injected!
    I see in the Rock listings that the 91 Astro used what looks like the trans mounted VSS. I don't know what it reads inside the trans, but my first guess is that it's probably a rotor that clips onto the output shaft where the drive gear for the cable speedometer would be on your trans. Fairly straightforward, once the driveshaft is out, to remove the tail shaft housing and "reveal all." Might be a good time to add a transmission shop guy to your "support group." There's a catch term for that... oh yeah, your "network."