Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another Conversion

Fuel Injected!
    Try these guys. They list a 1984 c10 distributor but not clear if with or without vacuum advance.

http://search6969.used-auto-parts.bi...bin/search.cgi

Fuel Injected!
    Lock the mechanical advance and either replace the vacuum advance with a lockout plate or just don't connect it. Then, replace the 4-pin module with a 7-pin and you're good to go.

Fuel Injected!
    Holy Hell!!! by gawd I think summit finally got it in! just got off the phone with them and they said its on its way!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Also you need to make sure you have a 4.3 prom chip, netres pack and injectors to start with.
    Okay.. Im not sure exactly what you mean there... I pulled the entire rig from a 91 astro van minus the dizzy that is coming

Fuel Injected!
    Okay! So I got my bran spankin new dizzy from summit. Put some new fuel in the new tank. Cranked over. Its is alive!!!! Still slightly rich. Vac is at apps 12-13 " hg.what is idle supposed to sit at timing wise w spout thing unplugged?

Okay so ive got it set at 4° btdc. Running slightly rich. Still have to wire in that thing that the knock sensor is wired into power wise i think. The vac is sitting at 13 ish vac. Its running pretty darn well. Have to redo the tbi unit as its leaking a little. I hear this high pitched wine in the engine bay. Still need to plug the vac line from the distributor with a cap as its got a hose with screw driver in it at the moment. Think i need a thicker gasket under the carb adapter plate so i can better fit hoses and such on the tbi unit. There was another vac unit in the loom that has some 3 inlet outlet pipes. Not sure if those are needed or not to boost vac at idle or if my idle issue is purely a leak... Let me know and ill keep posted as i go along.

Ohh... My oil pressure light is on... Did i hook up wrong wire?

And how do i tell what my coolant temp is now? Had a mechanical sender....

Hmm. Looks like i may have to set the timing at 0* if im reading this right.
    Last edited by r.e.c.enthusiasts; 07-17-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Okay, so i now have the knock sensor and esc installed. Only found 2 vac leaks. Fixed both. Fixed fuel leak at the injector. Its still slightly rich i think. Vac is at 15 cold down to 13 idle hot.... It also has a minor sputter at idle. It is running way better though. However i fear i may have to have the engine reworked. Also does any body have the lower thermostat housing with wet sensor hole?

Fuel Injected!
    So.. Any body here have a 68-72 c10 with a l6 250(or 30 -92) tbi setup? Id love to see some pics with how you did your wiring...

Fuel Injected!
    If you have the internals of a 7 wire big base distributor available, it is physically possible to mount them in the big base HEI 250 distributor. I did it last week, but haven't run it. It involved notching the base for the 4 wire harness, drilling mounting holes for the wider spacing of the ignition module - I gently used the mounting screws as taps - and another hole for a screw to replace the locating split pin for the cage (?) the pickup coil sits in. I let the "memory" of the pickup coil wires be my guide as to where that hole needed to be, (doesn't seem to be critical) and cut 3/16" brake tubing to space up from the distributor base to the locating hole of the cage (?) - I don't know what to call it - the first piece you put back on, after you've had it all apart. I did the same screw/ spacer arrangement for the mounting/grounding tab for the 4 wire harness just inside the distributor base. The three wire harness looks after itself. I put it in its notch in the base first, and worked from there. This leaves a gap where the vacuum advance went through the base, which I contemplate sealing with foil tape once the cap is on. I think it could work, if you haven't found the right one.

Fuel Injected!
    Oops, sorry for all that blather, I missed your latest five posts somehow. Glad to see that you're making headway. What TBI system did you start with? I'm wanting to TBI my 69 292.

Fuel Injected!
    Well its a the wire harness and all components are out of a 91 astro van. (ecu, sensors, wire harness, tbi) im still running thr old 1 bbl intake so i picked up a adapter plate online from 1bbl to gm tbi. The dizzy took almost 3 months to order factory but im glad i did. It is not modified at all. Mainly cause i wanted to get the wiring sorted out first. I think i need to do some eprom or something for proper tuning. As the astrovan is a 4.3 and mine is 4.1. However i think yours would probably be pretty much perfect for it?

Fuel Injected!
    I think the 4.3 is 262 c.i., so your system has the capacity to fuel an engine 12 cubic inches bigger than the 250. Sounds close enough to me, in my vast ignorance. And the 305 c.i. system I have can supply 13 cubic inches bigger than my 292 (although mine is bored .060, giving a total of 298 or 299, I think - haven't done the math.) Also sounds close enough to me, in my vast ignorance. Your PROM, being from a 6 cylinder, seems to be what I would need to replace my 8 cylinder one with, though I don't even know if the PROM cares how many cylinders it's running, maybe just the displacement matters to it, and the distributor reports the number of cylinders. Know anything about that? Is there a number on your PROM that you can see, without much trouble?

Fuel Injected!
    Hmm. Yea. Kinda feel retarded making that previous statement. But. Thats why im here as well. So as for the prom im not sure. But i will look at it when i get home Wednesday. Its still very accessible. (Uts the removable chip right? Lol)

Fuel Injected!
    Hey, just being ignorant, that is, not in possession of all the facts, doesn't mean we're stupid, does it? Sir Winston Churchill, British Prime Minister, said to America, prior to its entry into World War II, "Give us the tools, and we'll finish the job." The tool we need is accurate pertinent information, which I'm confident the EFI GearHeads have. Somewhere. The answer to the question, "How do you eat an elephant?" being "One bite at a time.", I guess we make progress (learn) one question at a time. The PROM (for Programmable Read Only Memory, I believe) chip is the removable chip inside the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) a.k.a. ECM (Electronic etc.) ECU (...Unit) and "the aluminum box in a hard to access location inside the car that all the wires plug into." And I think when I read about "Calpak" it means the PROM. I welcome correction and clarification.

Fuel Injected!
    Awesome. Yea the ecm has not been mounted yet so it will be easy to get to. Ill post that later today.

Fuel Injected!
    Great, thanks - but enough about me. Or "Moi", as Miss Piggy puts it. Do you have a wiring diagram for the donor 91 Astro, to help you answer your wiring questions? (I'm thinking about your inquiry about anyone having pictures of their wiring installation on a 250.) No responses to that request, yet? I'm wondering if there is enough similarity between the harnesses of your 91 Astro donor and my 89 Caprice donor to be of any use. Manufacturers have been known to goof up and do things the same way for a couple of years.