Thread: Where can I go for harness modifications

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Where can I go for harness modifications

I have always wanted to convert my truck (95 5.7 tbi) to tpi but never had the time or money. But now 15 years later, everyone is doing LS swaps. but i still want to do it and its hard to find any good info.
    I did find this website, but the guy's email address is dead:
    http://www.jimsperformance.com/tbi.html
    I'm sure I could gather up most parts for a swap, but wiring instructions is a hassle. Does anyone know of any business (or individual) that can convert harnesses, sell harnesses, etc to make my life easier on this conversion?

PS - I am also willing to consider an LT1 intake swap as well, due to the 92 camaro having 700r4 vs 95 Camaro's 4L60E (my truck having the 4L60e). Thanks

BTW the reason I dont want to go the LS route is I want as many things as possible that bolt right in. Drilling new motor mounts etc isnt my thing. Putting on TPI or LT1 now as a good test for demonstration, and then in a couple of years a new block with better heads, cam, etc.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    I have always wanted to convert my truck (95 5.7 tbi) to tpi but never had the time or money. But now 15 years later, everyone is doing LS swaps. but i still want to do it and its hard to find any good info.
    I did find this website, but the guy's email address is dead:
    http://www.jimsperformance.com/tbi.html
    I'm sure I could gather up most parts for a swap, but wiring instructions is a hassle. Does anyone know of any business (or individual) that can convert harnesses, sell harnesses, etc to make my life easier on this conversion?

PS - I am also willing to consider an LT1 intake swap as well, due to the 92 camaro having 700r4 vs 95 Camaro's 4L60E (my truck having the 4L60e). Thanks

BTW the reason I dont want to go the LS route is I want as many things as possible that bolt right in. Drilling new motor mounts etc isnt my thing. Putting on TPI or LT1 now as a good test for demonstration, and then in a couple of years a new block with better heads, cam, etc.
    I would not waste my time with the TPI personally. Get a 454 TBI unit, the 80.5 lb/hr injectors a good dual plane or single plane depending on the HP you want to make and tune the TBI. You can add ALOT of power to the TBI and still keep the TBI.

Only way I would upgrade to MPFI is to add OBD2 electronics and run sequential with the 0411 LS PCM. Switch over to coil per cylinder ignition at the same time.

If you go MPFI consider the Edelbrock Proflow intake with a 90mm foward facing TB.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-25-2017 at 02:24 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I would not waste my time with the TPI personally. Get a 454 TBI unit, the 80.5 lb/hr injectors a good dual plane or single plane depending on the HP you want to make and tune the TBI. You can add ALOT of power to the TBI and still keep the TBI.

Only way I would upgrade to MPFI is to add OBD2 electronics and run sequential with the 0411 LS PCM. Switch over to coil per cylinder ignition at the same time.

If you go MPFI consider the Edelbrock Proflow intake with a 90mm foward facing TB.
    Thanks for the input. I dont want to go as far as swapping computers or ignitions yet. But not having to modify things such as fuel lines throttle cables and the brake booster line is tempting.

Attached is information on converting the TBI computer in your pickup to MPFI (basically same a TPI). With some careful planning you can reuse the TBI harness with some minor modifications. A few wires will need wiring length changes by adding or subtracting wire, then adding 8 individual injectors (4 injectors per bank instead of 1 injector per bank).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Attached is information on converting the TBI computer in your pickup to MPFI (basically same a TPI). With some careful planning you can reuse the TBI harness with some minor modifications. A few wires will need wiring length changes by adding or subtracting wire, then adding 8 individual injectors (4 injectors per bank instead of 1 injector per bank).
    Thanks for this. Do the pics work for you though?

Edit - nm, it appears my reader (linux, libreoffice).
    So mechanically, no issues with bolting to the heads?
    BTW this is the truck that would be getting the the modification. The camaro next to it already is TPI
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/137252...3/31325825355/
    Last edited by pro; 04-25-2017 at 03:40 AM.

If you don't want to swap or modify the ECM, then forget trying to put a TPI intake on the truck. At teh very least a new tune and some hardware modifications to the MEMCAL WILL be needed to make it run correctly. You can't just swap the intake manifold and expect it to run right.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    If you don't want to swap or modify the ECM, then forget trying to put a TPI intake on the truck. At teh very least a new tune and some hardware modifications to the MEMCAL WILL be needed to make it run correctly. You can't just swap the intake manifold and expect it to run right.
    I understand this and have a spare ECU and prom I'll start on soon

Thanks for this. Do the pics work for you though?

Edit - nm, it appears my reader (linux, libreoffice).
    So mechanically, no issues with bolting to the heads?
    BTW this is the truck that would be getting the the modification. The camaro next to it already is TPI
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/137252...3/31325825355/
    Yes the pics work for me, Windows 10 with Microsoft Office.

I've personally done a few of these TBI to MPFI conversions. I personally prefer the MPFI Modified TBI computer vs. the TPI computer. The MPFI Modified TBI computer will still operate the 4L60E and 8 injectors. The MPFI Modified TBI computer is the LEAST EXPENSIVE Option and the LEAST AMOUNT OF WORK ... it's the WIN / WIN option in my opinion.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Yes the pics work for me, Windows 10 with Microsoft Office.

I've personally done a few of these TBI to MPFI conversions. I personally prefer the MPFI Modified TBI computer vs. the TPI computer. The MPFI Modified TBI computer will still operate the 4L60E and 8 injectors. The MPFI Modified TBI computer is the LEAST EXPENSIVE Option and the LEAST AMOUNT OF WORK ... it's the WIN / WIN option in my opinion.

dave w
    I dont have a burner but I suppose I can buy one. Is it something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-TL86...s=Eprom+Burner

Fuel Injected!
    The wiring shouldn't be that difficult. You're basically talking re-pinning for the ECU and changing the 2 TBI injector plugs to 8 port plugs.

Why not an aftermarket port intake like a Holley Stealth Ram for example?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    The wiring shouldn't be that difficult. You're basically talking re-pinning for the ECU and changing the 2 TBI injector plugs to 8 port plugs.

Why not an aftermarket port intake like a Holley Stealth Ram for example?
    The holley is the first I have heard of. And looks really expensive. This looks a little too much for me. If it was in the price range of what the TPI would cost (or what the old edelbrock MPFI was - $1200 if I remember) then I would go with that easily.

Well - I cant yet say "easily", i havent read too much about it yet.

Fuel Injected!
    The holley is the first I have heard of. And looks really expensive. This looks a little too much for me. If it was in the price range of what the TPI would cost (or what the old edelbrock MPFI was - $1200 if I remember) then I would go with that easily.

Well - I cant yet say "easily", i havent read too much about it yet.
    I actually think it's called the Weiand Stealth Ram now. About $400 for the bare manifold. You'd probably be into it a few $100 more for the fuel rails and injectors. Use a TPI style throttle body. There are a few other options for aftermarket port injection manifolds as well.