Thread: On the Right Track?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

On the Right Track?

Hey everyone, I’ve been a lurker here on the forums for a couple of years now just soaking up as much info as possible while I slowly make progress on my project. Thanks to all of the contributors here, so many helpful individuals.

Here is my project:

1962 Chevy C20 ¾ Ton Pickup
    355ci SBC, Vortec heads, flat top pistons (9.4:1), 3 speed manual transmission
    Flat tappet cam: 214/214 @50, .443”/.443” lift, 110 LSA
    5.7L TBI unit (factory bore), 18 psi regulator spring (Injectors were flow tested at 86 lb/hr at 18 psi)
    Painlesss Wiring TBI Harness, TPI fuel pump, Two-pulse VSS from Jags-That-Run

1227747 ECM, Datalogger from Moates, Ebay chip programmer, Using TunerPro

Here is my plan:

I am thinking about taking the spark and VE tables from a bin file that DaveW (Thanks!) posted awhile back for a 350 Vortec AT engine and copying them to a bin for a 5.7L manual transmission engine and use this as my starting point. I will apply the EGR patch and update the BPC value to the manual .bin file I choose.

Questions:

- Any red flags thus far?!
    - Besides the VE tables and the SA table is there anything else I should copy over from the vortec AT to the manual bin?
    - Since my cam has a tighter LSA than recommended would it be a good idea to increase the target idle value to ~800-850 rpm for starters?
    - One thing I wonder about is whether it is smart to subtract a few degrees of timing across the main SA table to decrease the risk of a lot of knock right off the bat in case my setup requires less timing than the vortec bin that Dave posted.

Carb and Points!
    So I probably missed some detail but I am trying to copy the fuel tables from the Vortec bin to a ASDW manual bin. I zeroed out the VE2 table and copied all of the VE1 values to match. When I save the changes TunerPro it appears to cap the values in VE1 at 80.08 and changes the VE2 table to 5.08 across the board. Is there a step needed to lock the VE2 table and just display fuel in VE1 that I need to do?

Fuel Injected!
    There's nothing preventing you to set VE2 table to zeros, so you're doing something wrong. You may want to keep the last (3200 rpm) row with some VE2 adder to be able to have lower than at 3200rpm VE on higher RPMs.

Fuel Injected!
    What XDF are you using?

Fuel Injected!
    OK, I was checking a wrong xdf ($61), as I thought from the memory that was the mask for 747. Now I checked the proper $42 xdf.
    There is a low limit in $42 xdf for VE2 table that is preventing you from setting it to 0. To remove it, right click on the table, select "Edit Parameter xdf info" and uncheck "use low range".
    As I said, you'd be better subtracting a certain value from the VE1 3200rpm row and adding it back to 3200 rpm row in VE2. You can fill all the higher rpm cells with the same values. Then you can lean out high rpms decreasing VE2 values, and richen by increasing. With 0 at 3200rpm row you can only add fuel at higher rpms.

Carb and Points!
    That did it. Thanks guys. And also thanks for the tip regarding VE2 at 3200rpm.