Dave, nice to see you here still. Thanks again for all your help on my 305 chip burns. It has run great for years.

This engine was advertised as a 9C1 police engine, but it doesn't appear to be as it has swirl port heads, not the fast burns listed as being on the 9C1 engines. It was a B-body VIN so Caprice 4 door. I have yet to clean up the intake or rebuild the TBI. That will come soon.

I took the board from the ECU today, no numbers. Looking at the top of the chip again I decided to cut one of the cross pieces off. Score!

ANLU 5369.

So now I am confused. This bin is listed as a the COP car bin. While the engine came with then green silicone hoses from a cop car, it didn't have an oil cooler. I need to get the codes from the injectors. I suppose I can mic the cam lobes too and see if it is the L98 cam or not.

I need to do more research on this bin. It does not have VATS or a speed limiter (according to posts), but it does have the smog pump which needs to go.

I don't mind a little learning curve on this ECU, but is there a point to it? Can I copy the same settings to a $42 bin? Is there a best, or easiest way forward with it?

---

1project,

I didn't trust the seller that it was a running engine so I tore it down. The bottom end looked nearly new so I am just putting it back together with new parts. The exhaust valve guides were over limit so I have a pair of rebuilt swirl ports for it. New rings, bearings, oil pump, etc. Roller lifters and cam are good so will go right back in.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
There is a chance you have a Police Caprice 350 TBI engine? It might be a good idea to keep the original ECM and original .bin file if you find out you have the Police Caprice 350 TBI engine. Check the injectors in the TBI, maybe you have the lucky numbers 17084327?

dave w

If you can get the scanID, one of the items available in the datastream, then I may be able to identify the calibration.

You say you are building a 350, but what does that mean? Rebuilding to stock, or are you changing cam, pistons, heads, etc? Changes to airflow require changes to tuning.

The older C3 ecms like the 8746 and 7747 contain most of the program to run the computer on a different chip than the eprom with the tuning data. The programs are different between the two computers so you cannot directly install a 7747 $42 calibration in an 8746 ecm and have it work properly.

With your experience from the last time the tuning process might not take so long.