Thread: TPI Questions

Carb and Points!

TPI Questions

Hi guys, new here, but have messed with TPI just about enough to be dangerous. Anyway, I have an old 350 engine that I had TPI on a few years back, but had issues making it run right, and went back to a carb, but have decided I was going to resurrect this thing and make it work. I think the issue was that the memcal I had was for a V6...., so... I have a 7730 ECM and have everything set up to use SD. I have a V6 memcal with the KS board on it, that I have cut the leg on the netres on to make it think it's a V8. I have a coates adapter and a new chip that I have programmed with the S_AUJP bin. I think most of this part will work. The part I am wondering about is this. I came across an older memcal that I thought was junk and started messing with it. It had been in the parts bin a while, and I had looked up the number a while back and couldn't find anything about it. Tonight I was looking around a bit more, and found that it is a MAF TPI memcal - ABWT to be exact with the matching V8 netres chips. So, my question is this. Will those netres chips work with an SD setup? Will the LHM work? Also, I was told that I could use an external ESC and that would work for the knock sensor since I don't have a V8 knock board. If that is the case, so I even need a knock board on this memcal?

One other question. I have a powerglide trans behind this (it's a drag car), so it won't have a VSS. Is there a fix for this, or does it matter?

Sorry for the all the questions, but I am trying to learn as I go! Thanks.
    Last edited by fish2222; 04-15-2017 at 05:59 AM.

The attached picture is how a V6 SD Memcal can be modified to a V8 SD Memcal, which requires using the knock sensor from a 1990 SD 5.7 liter. I don't know if the MAF Memcal will work correctly in the '7730. To eliminate the VSS, connect the "Park Switch" input to Ground.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images