Thread: Dynamic EFI Questions

Electronic Ignition!

Dynamic EFI Questions

Hey guys, so this is going to be a bit of an extensive post, but as such, I'll do my best to organize it. Here's the setup I'm running right now. I've got a 1995 GMC Yukon with ECU 16197427. I have a custom tune from Wester's garage to run the 4L80e I swapped in place of my stock 4L60e (wires were re-pinned so that the connector at the ECM is the same as a stock 4L80e truck). I'm also running an older (autorotor) style Whipple supercharger. I have the larger pulley on it for now, so it's making minimal boost. I have an Aeromotive AFPR set to handle fuel pressure (boost regulated), and I'm running 91 octane with plugs that are 1 heat range cooler to prevent detonation. Motor's got 216k on the clock, unrebuilt.

On to my plan. Eventually, I'd like to rebuild the motor to be a full hydraulic roller with some better heads (probably iron eagles). I also have an Edelbrock MPFI intake that I really want to get put on this thing, better fueling and able to tune it more precisely. So I have the following questions:

1. From what I've read, the current EBL Flash does not support the e-trans. Is this right? Is this possibly going to change anytime soon, or do you have to run 2 separate ECU's?

2. Also, I have a lifetime re-tune with Wester's, and as long as the trans tables stay the same, then the engine control portion would be able to be burned from my PC via ALDL cable, correct? The Memcal would control the trans, but wouldn't need to be removed for tuning of the engine?

3. These TBI injectors are low impedance "peak-and-hold" style, correct? And according to your site, I would be able to run high-impedance injectors, but would you recommend the Port Mod or the 4-injector upgrade? Seems like the Port mod would be better since I'm looking at batch fire of 8 high-impedance injectors.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I've tried to do as much research on my own as I can, but sometime you just gotta ask a question (or three ). I'm sure I'll have more questions later. This seems to be my best option for controlling the motor with this MPFI intake.

And yes, before anyone asks, I DO realize an LS-swap would've been cheaper and easier. I like to be different, ok?

Fuel Injected!
    If you sign up at the forum thirdgen.org in the DIY Prom board there is a whole thread that deals exclusively with EBL. Rbob, the creator of the system is on there as well and will directly answer any questions you have. I do know with the 7427 and ebl, the ebl will run the engine and you will keep the 7427 to run and tune the trans

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks, I just registered over there. I'm collecting quite the forum membership. Each one seems to serve a different need or aspect of this truck. lol, tough to keep them all straight. Thanks for the suggestion, any other advice or input you guys have is greatly appreciated!

Administrator
    And yes, before anyone asks, I DO realize an LS-swap would've been cheaper and easier. I like to be different, ok?
    Folks recommend LS swaps for everything these days. But for some projects it really isn't the best choice. I think your truck is a fine example of this.

The port fuel conversion is appropriate for a PFI manifold. The injectors are triggered differently between TBI and PFI. The driver modification allows you to use low impedance injectors but it doesn't change when the injectors are triggered. So they may be done together for some projects, but they are not really "either-or" options. Are you using the Marelli injectors that came with the manifold or are you switching to another style?

The memcal does not control trans operation. The transmission is controlled by the code. If you bypass the stock code the trans will default to second gear. You will need two separate controllers to use an E trans with a lockers system. Reference this post on thirdgen:
    To use an EBL Flash ECM in a truck with an E transmission the stock PCM remains in place. It stays to run the transmission. Another set of ECM harness connectors are added to the stock harness. Power & grounds are spliced to both. Some sensors are shared. All engine control wires get moved to the new connectors.

The EBL Flash ECM is plugged into the newly added connectors to run the engine. While the stock PCM stays to run the E trans. In this case the EBL is transmission dumb, as it won't know which gear the trans is in and so on.

GearHead-EFI Vendor!
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCYukonDriver View Post
    1. From what I've read, the current EBL Flash does not support the e-trans. Is this right? Is this possibly going to change anytime soon, or do you still have to run 2 separate ECM's?
    Correct, the EBL Flash won't support the E transmission. Need to retain it for that job and add in the EBL Flash to run the engine.

2. Also, I have a lifetime re-tune with Wester's, and as long as the trans tables stay the same, then the engine control portion would be able to be burned from my PC via ALDL cable, correct? The Memcal would control the trans, but wouldn't need to be removed for tuning of the engine?
    Not sure what you are asking here. The EBL systems have their own firmware and calibration layout. Can't use the one from the '7427 PCM. There is a dedicated high speed comm link from the EBL to the laptop for flashing in the tune/BIN, data logging, and observing the data.

3. These TBI injectors are low impedance "peak-and-hold" style, correct? And according to your site, I would be able to run high-impedance injectors, but would you recommend the Port Mod or the 4-injector upgrade? Seems like the Port mod would be better since I'm looking at batch fire of 8 high-impedance injectors.
    You will want the Port Mod when using the Edelbrock MPFI conversion. Note that with the Port Mod you can run any high impedance injector, don't need to stick with the Magnetti Marelli Pico injectors.

Note that an EBL Flash ECM with the Port Mod can not be used with a TBI setup.

RBob.