Thread: 1991 TBI Tuner Pro RT Data Analysis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

1991 TBI Tuner Pro RT Data Analysis

I have a 1991 Silverado with the 5.7 TBI engine. I have Tuner Pro RT and have logged a few (one for sure, not sure what happened to the other) data streams while driving. Generally things seem about as expected except that whenever my throttle opening gets up near 50% my vacuum goes to zero. Maybe that's normal but it seems to drastic. Idle vacuum is good, transmission shift points seem about right. Overall the truck seems like it is dragging an anchor and fuel economy stinks (10 mpg empty, 8 towing a trailer). Transmission will unlock with just about any throttle or load input, and it will downshift out of OD to maintain 70 mph empty (worse with the trailer).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Carb and Points!
    I rearranged the dash on my Tuner RT Pro and one of the gauges I added was spark advance. When I play back my data file it looks like I am not getting any spark advance at any time. That may explain a lot about the performance (or lack there of). I plan to look at the distributor but any recommendations on what to look for would be appreciated.

the spark advance gauge will only work if you have enabled in on the chip, it is a patch. Things to look for would be fuel pressure, spray pattern of your injectors (if only 1 is working it will run very poorly off idle). what do you spark plugs look like? is it running rich? or lean?
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    Check your MAP sensor for a dead spot. Use a vacuum hand pump and watch the readings on Tuner Pro.
    0 in. Hg ...... 4.7 Volts.
    5 in. Hg ...... 3.9 Volts.
    10 in. Hg .... 3.0 Volts.
    20 in. Hg .... 1.1 Volts.

Carb and Points!
    erjbsa - thanks I will check that out.

Jim - Can I enable the chip in my std. production ECU with a patch to provide the advance gauge function? If so where is the patch available, and how do I write it into the ECM without changing anything else?

FYI, I did confirm that the timing is moving with rpm using a timing light. I think my base timing was a little retarded so I reset to "0" with the timing set wire disconnected. However, it would be nice to know that the timing is doing as I am running down the road.

Unless I am wrong, you have a 7747 ecm which is a $42 mask. The patch was put into the tunerpro rt definition file by eagleMark. Look for the patch at the top of the file in tunerpro. You will have to burn a chip to get it to work.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!