Thread: TBI Tuning Need HELP

Carb and Points!

TBI Tuning Need HELP

My name is Andy Farley and I am new to the site. I live in central MN. I have a 1994 GMC 1500 4wd 5.7L that is like new. I bought the truck in Georgia 2 years ago. The truck only had 70,000 miles on it when i bought it. I drove the truck back to MN and noticed it used oil, never smoked but used about 1qt every 500 miles. I expected this since the truck sat for a while. After a year and half worth of trying different remedy's to free the rings up in the engine I decided to do a rebuild. I found a good 5.7l roller motor for a core and had the local engine builder build me the same engine as GM's HT 383 crate engine. I did everything Harris Performance(TBI chips) recommended. After 7 chips my truck still runs very bad. I dont notice any changes in the chips. I will say that Brian does seem like a nice guy, but im getting worried that my truck will never run right. I cannot find any local tuners that can tune this truck. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. My last resort is an after market fuel injection system, or rebuilding the stock motor and put everything back to stock. This project has been a nightmare and im running out of options. Thank you very much

Search this forum for Brian Harris And TBIChips for a better understanding of your problems. Get TunerProRT, put your original chip back in, get a data log and post it with your build specs, people on this forum can help you get it running correctly.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

The information from a TunerPro RT data log is AWESOME! See attached TunerPro RT screen shots. If you want a TBI system to GOOOOO, you need to know TunerPro RT!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb and Points!
    Thank you very much for the information. I will look into the TunerPro RT and get it downloaded on my computer. I'm not a very technical computer guy, but I'm willing to do whatever i can to get this truck running right. Would i start a new thread when i post the data log? How will i go about making changes to the chip?

Thanks again

I recommend coming up to speed using TunerPro RT to data log with first. Data Logging is a HUGE accomplishment all in itself! One step at a time. Changing the chip is another challenge for another day.

I use the ALDL Cable from: http://www.aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I have a '91 and just did my first data logging with TunerPro RT. I have something funky going on with my intake vacuum (I think that is what it was) dropping to zero and then recovering to normal. Unfortunately not much time to play with it and the laptop with the file is home, while I am not (work).

I made my own data collection cable and once I got it connected and all the related TunerPro RT files downloaded and installed it seemed to work pretty well. Now all I need to do is understand all the information it is providing to diagnose my relatively poor performance.

Carb and Points!
    Im hoping to get the TunerPro RT downloaded this weekend. does anybody know of anybody in MN that can burn chips based on my data logs?

It's a short step (on the learning curve) to fix the chip yourself with the data logs.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I don't want to side track this thread but I think my question might help the OP or others in a similar situation.

I am about to do something similar by putting a newer Vortec crate motor in my Suburban and keep the TBI. Obviously it will need proper turning and have been reading a lot on the subject. While I will do the engine swap I would prefer to pay a tuner for his experience. I could learn how but it nothing something I would use very often. Problem is no one around here does chips, everyone has moved on.

Just reading on Moates Ostrich emulator. A little pricey but if I understand it correctly, could it not be installed and then an experienced tuner connect their software/computer to the Ostrich emulator and tune the engine using Ostrich emulator? If I understand correctly then I could download the file and have someone burn a chip. What puzzles me is I never seen it mentioned as option for those of us with TBI looking for someone to tune an engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    I don't want to side track this thread but I think my question might help the OP or others in a similar situation.

I am about to do something similar by putting a newer Vortec crate motor in my Suburban and keep the TBI. Obviously it will need proper turning and have been reading a lot on the subject. While I will do the engine swap I would prefer to pay a tuner for his experience. I could learn how but it nothing something I would use very often. Problem is no one around here does chips, everyone has moved on.

Just reading on Moates Ostrich emulator. A little pricey but if I understand it correctly, could it not be installed and then an experienced tuner connect their software/computer to the Ostrich emulator and tune the engine using Ostrich emulator? If I understand correctly then I could download the file and have someone burn a chip. What puzzles me is I never seen it mentioned as option for those of us with TBI looking for someone to tune an engine.
    I have helped with several remote tunes using the Ostrich 2.0 emulator. The tuning is usually done with files attached to emails, but can also happen real time using "Net Meeting" software that allows remote access to the laptop connected to the Ostrich 2.0 emulator.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    What kind of computer are you using to data log. Does it have a serial port. I had a bunch of problems getting my laptop to connect reliably to the ecm via a USB cable. Once I went with a serial cable to aldl my connection has been rock solid. Don't be discouraged about your truck not running right. The guys on this forum are very helpful and I'm know you will see driving improvements with each chip burned. But yeah a good datalog will tell alot.

Carb and Points!
    Im in the same boat as Kudzu. Im not looking to tune my truck unless i have to. I would prefer to have someone do the tune. I have no problem with doing data logs and sending the information to somebody. Im not interested in buying the equipment to burn my own chips. Tuner Pro RT definitely seems like the way to go for data logs

Carb and Points!
    Kudzu, Im definitely with you on having some one tune my truck. I will keep looking and if i come up with anything i will let you know.

I use Wide Band O2 (WBO2) data to tune with, see attached summary results.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images