Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron duke (pontiac151) MPFI build

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'm late to the party on this thread. This thread reminded me of a similar project (started by the late eaglemark) http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...RE-with-GM-ECM It's a long thread. Basically an external trigger wheel (which I designed) was used. See attached pics.

So let's fast forward a few years ... I would suggest the "What If" the 4 cylinder MPFI system was leveraged of the OBD2 Oldsmobile Quad 4? Basically I would design a dual trigger distributor ( cam and crank triggers relocated to the distributor), similar to the OBD2 dual trigger I make for a SBC using the '0411 PCM. See attached pic.

dave w

So if i were to get the tuner cat quad 4 ecu file I would still have to design a new sensor wheel? (Not that it probably makes any difference, but between 87 and 91 they used this computer which is OBD 1 on the Olds Q4)

Carb and Points!
    1Project2Many,

Naw testing is what I'm interested in! It looks like there's still hope after reading 6 shooters thread.

Now questions about starting tuning. The old computer, 1227748, had a M27C128A PROM and you could flash it with UV and I would write new with the GQ writer. The new set up, 1227749, has a huge inline processor bundle with a blue cap for the knock sensor, that doesn't fit the chip burner.

What are my options for tuning?
    Can I tune through the knock bundle with a custom board?
    Can I buy a different prom that fits?
    Should I just invest in an Ostrich?
    etc...

Aaron
    Last edited by windsorcastl; 07-13-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Administrator
    What are my options for tuning?
    Tunercat and Tunerpro are the two software tools that I use.

Can I tune through the knock bundle with a custom board?
    Inline processor bundle? You mean the socket containing three chips and the knock filter? There are ways to make an adapter so the eprom can be connected to the burner, or you can remove the eprom and install a socket. The 7749 eprom is usually a 27C256 although some have had 27C512's. I'd have to look at the calibration size to see if it fits on a 27128.

Can I buy a different prom that fits?
    Yes, there are several. Eproms and eeproms both. Moates site used to sell eeproms or flash chips that are compatible.

Should I just invest in an Ostrich?
    An emulator makes tuning much, much easier.

BTW, the DIS Quad 4 uses the same 7 notch trigger wheel as the DIS 2.5 and the DIS 2.2.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Tunercat and Tunerpro are the two software tools that I use.

Inline processor bundle? You mean the socket containing three chips and the knock filter? There are ways to make an adapter so the eprom can be connected to the burner, or you can remove the eprom and install a socket. The 7749 eprom is usually a 27C256 although some have had 27C512's. I'd have to look at the calibration size to see if it fits on a 27128.

Yes, there are several. Eproms and eeproms both. Moates site used to sell eeproms or flash chips that are compatible.

An emulator makes tuning much, much easier.

BTW, the DIS Quad 4 uses the same 7 notch trigger wheel as the DIS 2.5 and the DIS 2.2.
    Thank you so much for answering the trigger wheel dilemma. There has been so much misinformation about that out there. Anyways I contacted Moates , they have a board that bypasses the memcal (the G1), for a very reasonable 35 dollars and paired it with a 512 so I can throw code $59 (www.code59.org) on there, and no soldering involved.

So until that shows up and I can play around with it, my only remaining question is are there any other hardware changes I need to make to be able to handle the $59 code? Do I need a wide-band Oxygen sensor?
    Last edited by windsorcastl; 07-14-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Administrator
    I've never used $59 but I believe it will work with stock Sunbird / Syclone sensors. Changing to 1 BAR is a Big Deal. Many of the tables and several of the scalars will need to be adjusted to reflect 1 BAR values. I do not believe I have a complete list of the changes. I might use a 2 BAR sensor to make the process easier.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I've never used $59 but I believe it will work with stock Sunbird / Syclone sensors. Changing to 1 BAR is a Big Deal. Many of the tables and several of the scalars will need to be adjusted to reflect 1 BAR values. I do not believe I have a complete list of the changes. I might use a 2 BAR sensor to make the process easier.
    Already preemptively purchased one, but the "sunbird only $58" and the $59 have 'flags' for 1 bar/2bar, and $59 has an additional flag for 3 bar and 3.2 bar :). Thank you for all the help 1P2M! I will be updating soon with pictures and details for everyone.

Aaron

Administrator
    That flag is one piece of the puzzle. There are many others. Look for posts and pages by Robin Handley as he used $58 with a 1 BAR sensor. You'll probably need to use cached Google pages and the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine to view them.