Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM wastegate operation

Fuel Injected!
    Yes and no. Yeah it is controlling SOMETHING and yes the wastegate works because A: whatever wastegate spring i use, it will go to that springs psi and works PERFECT. I mean rock solid boost through all rpm range.

Hook boost controller up, it effects boost..... change initial DC it effects boost... one end will undershoot. one end will overshoot. Just right will hit target psi... like i said, the isssue is that it operates backwards.... ecm tells it to go one way, the boost goes the opposite way it should.

I will do whatever test you want me to, but those facts I know right now for sure. Also its been raining cats at dogs for the last 4 or 5 days.

This weekend im going to try ONE more time to plug in my ebay ecm and see what it does.. if it tries to run at all or if it floods the plugs or what.

I DID like i said check ALL powers and grounds to ecm the very first time I messed with anything years ago. That the first thing to ever check when anything electrical fishy starts happening.

On one hand, like i said, part of me just wants to wash my hands of this and buy aftermarket controller but other half of me knows i have EVERYTHING i need already and I know im so close.....but its hard to test garbage with garbage.. I checked powers and ground and ecm was my next shot at figuring it out and throwing USED parts at something to diagnose something is a poor way to troubleshoot.

Yes it would be nice to verify what the ecm is actually sending to the solenoid... I dont have on ocilliscope or graphing meter to check tho. Im not sure what my dvom will read on something that is pwm signal.

Administrator
    I would suggest venting the top port of the wastegate and connecting the solenoid on only the bottom port as a starting point.

Fuel Injected!
    " i went turbine housing to steel port of solenoid. Plastic port on solenoid to bottom of wastegate... With that setup, 0 duty cycle makes boost hang around 10 or a little more with target set at 7.. 99%dc makes it climb to whatever"

Administrator
    This sounds correct. 99% duty cycle should vent the boost pressure from the turbine to atmosphere. The wastegate never knows when to open. 0% duty cycle connects turbo to wastegate so spring can regulate pressure.

Fuel Injected!
    Im sorry i believe i typed that backwards. I plan on getting back to it saturday ill triple check.