Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arduino

Here's a thread we had awhile ago on EFI test benchs.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ECM-Test-Bench

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Reviving a (semi) old thread. :D

I got my Arduino Uno today and was playing with it. I have a very limited understanding of the code. I can modify the Blink code and played with IF and ELSE statements.

Can someone point me to some good tutorials on reading serial data? The only serial read functions I see just return the first byte of data. The 16197427 ECM requires handshaking IIRC and outputs a stream of data and then waits for another prompt before outputting data again. At least that's how I understand it.

I guess I need a way to read the entire string (store it in memory, perhaps?) and then pull out the various data as I need it.
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Some of what you are looking for may be found on page 22 here: http://lukeskaff.com/wordpress/wp-co..._Interface.pdf
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Commands for accessesing data in $0D are from ALDL.ds file A217.

Code:
    MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM)
                    ALDL REQUEST:
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $57
                    - MODE           = $01
                    - MESSAGE        = $00
                    - SUM CHECK
                    THE PCM WILL RESPOND WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $95
                    - MODE           = $01
                    - DATA BYTE 1
                    - DATA BYTE 63
                    - SUM CHECK
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Yep, I'm currently cleaning off my computer desk in hopes of getting back to this.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    and i'm still brainstorming on what all i can monitor/command with one as a BCM. recent additions include those interesting electrically controlled struts seen on some of the higher end GM cars from the early 90s and onwards.... the current struts in the 91GP are adjustable manually, but on max setting, they will shatter hips if you're not expecting a road transition. i'd like to just press a button and go from a fairly soft touring mode to track ready.

now i just need to figure out how to get them to work with the W platform.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Yeah, I also thought of a couple simple, but possibly cool things I could do with the Arduino and some of the existing circuits in my car...

I'm going to get serious about this display, since I REALLY want something that will display more than what I currently have on my TVII.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Well, I'm back to working with, or on, or maybe against(?) the Arduino...

I have decided that the ALDL Display is a bit above me right now, so I'm attempting a "simpler" project, a simple display to mount on/in my dahs or on top of my steering column that will take direct inputs and display something on an LCD display.

Since I replaced my OEM tach with an aftermarket I lost my turn signal indicators, though I have LEDs in a small ABS panel attached to the top of my steering column, it just lacks the finsihed look I want, even using triangular LEDs wouldn't satisfy me. I also don't have an OEM CEL, so I thought what better way to figure out this programming than to have something that will display turn signal indication and "CHECK ENGINE" right on an LCD?

So far I have it displaying the 3 functions from 3 separate inputs. The only issue is that the else statement to clear LCD affects all but the last item in the loop. I need to figure out a different way to reset the LCD, or maybe use switch statements, which I'm about to attempt.

Eventually I want it to display multiple things on the screen, maybe not only the CEL, but which code is set...

I also need more switches/buttons to make testing easy LOL, I have one one button, that I scavenged this morning, I'm sure I can find more if I look hard enough.

Here's an idea for an end goal, pretty sweet unit but in the $1200 range...

http://www.autometer.com/dataloggers.aspx

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Here's an idea for an end goal, pretty sweet unit but in the $1200 range...

http://www.autometer.com/dataloggers.aspx
    Yep, in the end it's many of the same features I want, but it will take me a while to get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by historystamp View Post
    Here is an implementation by Luke Skaff, "Automotive Diagnostic Interface."
    http://lukeskaff.com/wordpress/wp-co..._Interface.pdf

There is a complication with ALDL. The ALDL is bi-directional on one pin. With separate input & output pins, you need to merge this data onto one wire. Luke show a circuit for doing this.

Robert
    If you google the MAX232 converter circuits, they show a diode guarding the Tx pin and a 1K resistor on the Rx pin of the MAX232. They are tied together after that and go to the ALDL data pin. I'm thinking that maybe that would work with sending/receiving data directly to the Arduino. I tried it with simply tying the Tx and Rx pins to the ALDL pin. It did not work.

Here is the link for the Max232/8192 baud interface: http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl8192/8192hw.htm

I added the diode and resistor to my dataline. I can now successfully update my Arduino with the ALDL connected to it. I couldn't do that before when simply tying the Tx and Rx lines together.

But I still have no response from the ECM. I'm not sure if I've got the request code wrong (sending the wrong data, a software issue) or if the diode and resistor simply don't work. <shrug>

I should have more time this weekend to play with it some more.

For anyone who cares or randomly finds this thread: A short update. I found my old serial monitor logs from last year.

It seems that the 161974327 ECM needs a certain message sent to it in order for it to reply with data. But the message that Tuner Pro says it's sending and the ACTUAL message being sent are different. The ACTUAL message has some extra bytes in it. Carriage return? <shrug> I will try adding those and see what happens.

This is what the ALDL file says works and I beleive the same as the TunerPro file, except there has always been an issue with an extra byte or some masks a pause since TP V5. Some say it's the sum check, I thought it was the Data Byte in bold?

Code:
             MODE 1 (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM)
                    ALDL REQUEST:
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $57
                    - MODE           = $01
                    - MESSAGE        = $00
                    - SUM CHECK
                    THE PCM WILL RESPOND WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $95
                    - MODE           = $01
                    - DATA BYTE 1
                    - DATA BYTE 63
                    - SUM CHECK

-= =-

The serial monitor was showing the following values being sent to request data: (all hex data)

4B 05 49 F4 57 01 00 B4 99

So the 0xB4 and 0x99 are extra. Maybe 0xB4 is the sum check? <shrug> I may have a chance to work on it tonight.

I'm still not sure I'm sending the commands correctly, so it's still up in the air as to which end isn't working, the actual commands or the data transmit.

I've got a nice display formatted out on a 4x20 LCD. :D I just need valid data to feed it.