Thread: Another New Guy from NY

Fuel Injected!

Another New Guy from NY

Hello,

Already made my first post but just wanted to say Hello and officially introduce myself. My name is Dan. I am from New York, and I am interested in everything automotive. I have a C6 Corvette with H/C/Supercharger that I had previously tuned by two "professional" shops... After being told big fish stories by the previous tuners, only to receive back a car that ran poorly I decided enough was enough and I needed to learn this stuff. I recently completed a tuning seminar for HpTuners and have since become kind of obsessed with this stuff. I had a long term project, a 1990 Corvette that we had restored with Heads/Cam and a TPIS miniram. The car is beautiful but in a 200 mile radius I couldn't find anyone to tune it. So it sat for the last couple of years. After completing the HpTuners Seminar, i cam back excited to get both cars ironed out. I have since purchased a moats APU1 and Tunerpro RT. I got off to a rough start as I am not familiar with loading bins, adx files, and setting up the hardware but after a jerky start and almost 6 months of lurking on here, I got it all up and running. I completed my first very successful tune on the 90 yesterday. Got the VE tables almost dead on. Unfortunately I ran out of fuel at WOT... so I will be purchasing another set of injectors and trying again. My career is stagnant at the moment and I am really enjoying this new hobby. I am especially enjoying tuning this 90... more so than the newer cars. I'm hoping if I can learn enough, I can start helping others in my area tune their cars as well.

Looking forward to being a permanent part of this community!

Dan

Administrator
    Welcome!

My career is stagnant at the moment and I am really enjoying this new hobby. I am especially enjoying tuning this 90... more so than the newer cars. I'm hoping if I can learn enough, I can start helping others in my area tune their cars as well.
    As you have found, there are far more people who own tuning equipment and charge others for using use it than there are people who can properly tune an engine. If you spend enough time tuning it, maybe your career path will turn.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danspeed1 View Post
    Hello,

Already made my first post but just wanted to say Hello and officially introduce myself. My name is Dan. I am from New York, and I am interested in everything automotive. I have a C6 Corvette with H/C/Supercharger that I had previously tuned by two "professional" shops... After being told big fish stories by the previous tuners, only to receive back a car that ran poorly I decided enough was enough and I needed to learn this stuff. I recently completed a tuning seminar for HpTuners and have since become kind of obsessed with this stuff. I had a long term project, a 1990 Corvette that we had restored with Heads/Cam and a TPIS miniram. The car is beautiful but in a 200 mile radius I couldn't find anyone to tune it. So it sat for the last couple of years. After completing the HpTuners Seminar, i cam back excited to get both cars ironed out. I have since purchased a moats APU1 and Tunerpro RT. I got off to a rough start as I am not familiar with loading bins, adx files, and setting up the hardware but after a jerky start and almost 6 months of lurking on here, I got it all up and running. I completed my first very successful tune on the 90 yesterday. Got the VE tables almost dead on. Unfortunately I ran out of fuel at WOT... so I will be purchasing another set of injectors and trying again. My career is stagnant at the moment and I am really enjoying this new hobby. I am especially enjoying tuning this 90... more so than the newer cars. I'm hoping if I can learn enough, I can start helping others in my area tune their cars as well.

Looking forward to being a permanent part of this community!

Dan
    Where in NY are you from and whose seminar did you attend??

Fuel Injected!
    I am located in Orange County, New York and I just got back from Bob Morreale's Tuning School in Tampa, FL. Great course, learned a ton. Trying to expand on it as much as possible. In addition to the C6 I currently have, I am working on a 1990. I have personally owned quite a few C4 Corvettes and 94-96 Impala's. I really enjoy working on them specifically... they are not very popular anymore and have a lot of hidden potential IMO.

Dan
    Last edited by Danspeed1; 03-15-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Carb and Points!
    I am located in Orange County, New York and I just got back from Bob Morreale's Tuning School in Tampa, FL. Great course, learned a ton. Trying to expand on it as much as possible. In addition to the C6 I currently have, I am working on a 1990. I have personally owned quite a few C4 Corvettes and 94-96 Impala's. I really enjoy working on them specifically... they are not very popular anymore and have a lot of hidden potential IMO.

Dan
    Bob & his crew are definitely top notch and good people. Known him for a few years now and we always meet up in Vegas at SEMA. I am located just outside of Buffalo, NY. Let me know if you ever need help I have been doing this for a little while

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by J & J Speed Shop View Post
    Bob & his crew are definitely top notch and good people. Known him for a few years now and we always meet up in Vegas at SEMA. I am located just outside of Buffalo, NY. Let me know if you ever need help I have been doing this for a little while
    Bob and Brett were both genuinely nice people! The course was well worth the money. I told Bob at the end of the 3 days I was with them, I learned more in 3 days than i did in 4 years of College. So far their after sales support has been top notch as well. Bob has even helped me with some of the Tunerpro stuff, however I try not to bother him with it as it really doesn't pertain to HpTuners and I know how busy they are getting. My plan is to get down there again this year for the Advanced Class. The interesting part about all this is they have a really superb method of fine tuning vehicles, and the results on the vehicles we tuned during class were far better than any of the street cars in my area, but I am the type of person who wants to know how each and every facet of the program works and what functions these fuel injection systems are capable of. I've also taken a real liking to these OBDI cars and tuning them as well. As I mentioned in my area I couldn't find a single person who would touch it. Of the cars I've owned my C4 Corvettes and my Impala's have always been my favorite... honestly even more so than the C6 I currently own. This is a great site, lots of information but to be honest their seems to be far more to tuning one of these than jumping on Hptuners and go! I guess what i am getting at is I will be on here regularly with a lot of additional questions that probably have very little bearing on most of the tuning we will do. I really appreciate your offer and support as well, and you can count on a PM from time to time.

Thanks alot,

Dan
    Last edited by Danspeed1; 03-15-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Carb and Points!
    Bob and Brett were both genuinely nice people! The course was well worth the money. I told Bob at the end of the 3 days I was with them, I learned more in 3 days than i did in 4 years of College. So far their after sales support has been top notch as well. Bob has even helped me with some of the Tunerpro stuff, however I try not to bother him with it as it really doesn't pertain to HpTuners and I know how busy they are getting. My plan is to get down there again this year for the Advanced Class. The interesting part about all this is they have a really superb method of fine tuning vehicles, and the results on the vehicles we tuned during class were far better than any of the street cars in my area, but I am the type of person who wants to know how each and every facet of the program works and what functions these fuel injection systems are capable of. I've also taken a real liking to these OBDI cars and tuning them as well. As I mentioned in my area I couldn't find a single person who would touch it. Of the cars I've owned my C4 Corvettes and my Impala's have always been my favorite... honestly even more so than the C6 I currently own. This is a great site, lots of information but to be honest their seems to be far more to tuning one of these than jumping on Hptuners and go! I guess what i am getting at is I will be on here regularly with a lot of additional questions that probably have very little bearing on most of the tuning we will do. I really appreciate your offer and support as well, and you can count on a PM from time to time.

Thanks alot,

Dan
    If you don't mind me asking who did you use for tuning the C6 before that didn't turn out so well. Probably better if you PM me. Also facebook might be a better place to get ahold of me. I can PM you my facebook details

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by J & J Speed Shop View Post
    If you don't mind me asking who did you use for tuning the C6 before that didn't turn out so well. Probably better if you PM me. Also facebook might be a better place to get ahold of me. I can PM you my facebook details
    I Pm'd you. To be honest, although they not only screwed the car up like you wouldn't believe and then didn't do the right thing and make it right, I rather not even get into it. I'm not much into bashing anyone and like to give people benefit of the doubt... maybe they were both having a bad day lol. Its in the past. Best advice I could give to them if they asked for my feedback is.... focus less on promises you can't keep, like horsepower numbers and track numbers and just focus on the customer experience and providing a vehicle that runs properly and is easy to drive. Listen to what the customer wants, make sure its viable, and set expectations. These two poor experiences IMO led to me spending 3x as much to learn it myself... but i have a feeling it will pay for itself in the long run.

Dan
    Last edited by Danspeed1; 03-15-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Welcome Dan. I too am a fellow new yorker learning to tune. Good luck

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by joegreen View Post
    Welcome Dan. I too am a fellow new yorker learning to tune. Good luck
    Thanks Joe,

Where are you located and what are you working on?

Dan

Fuel Injected!
    I'm in dutchess county. I put tbi on my 78 Chevy k20.

Carb and Points!
    WOW TBI is a blast from the past. I haven't touched one of those in over a decade. If you are just learning the TBI ECM is a great place to start to get the basics down and build up. I see too many people get overwhelmed with trying to learn on new GM DI engines or Ford Coyote engines

Fuel Injected!
    Oh, wow, right across the river. Maybe i'll see you at Bear Mountain this year.

I have yet to attempt tuning on a TBI vehicle but I have a 94 K1500 so after the Vette is all buttoned up I will probably mess around with that a little bit.

Dan