Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: VE coming out way over 100

Fuel Injected!
    Very nice XDF. I like how everything is sorted and there are explanations with some of the items. I also see there is injector duty cycle in the dash. Anyone know where that comes from? It just pulled whatever I had in memory and it say 647%. Hmm...

Fuel Injected!
    Okay, here's a log file. None of this makes any sense to me. This is the stock ARJT except with VSS and EGR disabled and the BPW changed from 135 to 150. No other changes. The BLMs are a little high, but nowhere near as high as when I had the BPW up to 200 before. How can that be? The drive was typical for me recently, it did okay except for terrible hesitation on acceleration and I got a backfire on two different occasions when I tried to accelerate hard (once with normal acceleration pulling uphill and once under hard acceleration on flat ground).

What's the right way to adjust the idle air setup? Right now the throttle blades are nearly closed at idle and I can hear whistling. I thought TPS was showing 11%, but this new ADX doesn't seem to agree with that. My BLMs tend to grow at idle, I wonder if it's because the fuel is landing on the throttle and dripping in instead of atomizing into the air stream. Just a thought, but I would like advice on how best to set up the IAC and TPS. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-Fuel-Pressure

150 is just a safe range before having to calculate injector bias issues...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    I'm still liking the EBL though. Displaying and logging the fuel pressure real time would be excellent. And let's be honest, it would just be a fun toy. That's what this is all about. My K5 is no longer daily transportation.
    Some people like to show what they can build, other people like to show BLING. I'm likely to show what I've built so as to outshine the BLING I bought!

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    Very nice XDF. I like how everything is sorted and there are explanations with some of the items. I also see there is injector duty cycle in the dash. Anyone know where that comes from? It just pulled whatever I had in memory and it say 647%. Hmm...
    Injector duty cycle will not work until you do the BPW **Read Me Hac** in the XDF file!

The TPS calculated from voltage is close. If you do the TPS % **Read Me Hac** it will be exactly what ECM sees.

I have been combining XDF files for years and adding and commenting. Those 2 files also do data tracing so you can see where in bin file your fueling or spark is from data. I have easily over 100 hours in those 2 files!

Your Min Air could be an issue, when TBI units wear out the throttle blades close and all air comes through IAC, blades can actually stick and you need to push hard on accelerater to snap them open when under vacuum. By the looks of your IAC count while warming up I'd say this needs to be done.

Your truck is always in Drive so I'm guessing no Par/Neutral switch? Which is OK but won't help the bump into gear...

Your VSS is not working or you don't have one which do make these run better.

Your O2 sensor seems to be working properly but you are lean everywhere except 128 WOT which is where it should be but without have proper fueling in rest of VE table would still be lean if you checked with a Wide Band O2 sensor.

You have no error codes, but did get an erro of low battry when you shut truck off at end of log, charging system is good but I would load test battery.

Now if you promise to pay for TunerPro within the month of your budget I will tell you what's wrong with your truck?

-= =-

I've briefly looked at the data log attached above. The overall average BLM is 140 which is lean. The overall average INT is 129, which tells me the computer is just barely able to compensate for the lean BLM's. The overall O2 voltage average is 0.315 volts, which seems low. There is an excessive amount of O2 sensor voltages in the data log that are below 0.100 volts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm guessing the O2 sensor is a single wire in the exhaust manifold? I very seldom tune a stock engine, so I'm more familiar with heated O2 sensor voltages. Typically a correctly tuned VE table will have heated 3 wire O2 sensor average voltages of 0.600 ~ 0.800 volts. Maybe it would be good plan to include an upgrade to a 3 wire heated O2 sensor with the EBL / 16197427? I can't say with 100% certainty (I'm at least 70% certain) that the O2 sensor is bad, but the data log clearly indicates the O2 sensor could be a problem.

dave w

I have attached the Excel spreadsheet for the .xdl file attached above.

dave w

That's normal with the cross counts on this 1227747 ECM to go below .100

The overall average is correct though because of it running so lean.

Did you see the issue yet?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the help. I have no VSS and I have no Park/Neutral. I do have a 3-wire O2 sensor. Can you explain how it could be bad if the system is able to run in closed loop?

Can you explain more specifically what you think needs to be done regarding TPS/IAC? My TPS is exactly at the desired voltage at idle, so that seems okay. I tried tuning the idle according to the procedure, but after I set the idle so low (450-500) with the IAC unplugged, it also ran low and unhappy with it connected. I mentioned in the other thread that when I did the pin A/B trick the IAC motor would not stop making noise. I expected it to park and shut up.

What do you expect to see in IAC? I see it starting around 100 when fast idling during warm up, then going down to about 20 when it went to closed loop. Should it go lower?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Now if you promise to pay for TunerPro within the month of your budget I will tell you what's wrong with your truck?
    Promise?

If your down to 20 IAC counts at warmed up idle your fine if TPS voltage is still close.

But your major issue is Knock Counts! they never stop! Even under deceleration they are going nuts. Play your log back and open the history tables and look at Knock Accumulater. You either have a noisy motor or something rattling or a bad knock sensor/ESC... assuming your timing is set correctly. With that many knock counts I'd think you'd be able to hear knock and ping!

Go into your bin and find "KNK - Min CTS to Enable" and max out tempreture and burn a new chip. Then do a data log and see how it runs.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, I have no knock sensor. The line is just hanging. Sorry I forgot to tell you that. I already have the knock disabled.

Well did you disable it or just turn off the error code? Something is wrong because your showing knock counts like crazy! I'll try and do a data trace and see if it's pulling timing...

-= =-

Looks like it's constanly knocking to me? I just played back a log on a jeep I tuned with no knock sensor and disabled and it had no knock counts?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Looks like it's constanly knocking to me? I just played back a log on a jeep I tuned with no knock sensor and disabled and it had no knock counts?
    If it means something I'd love to know. I did exactly what you said, set "min cts to enable" to its max value. I also disabled error codes.

For what it's worth, I'm attaching another log from a quick drive. Difference here is BPW up to 160, idle set to 650 and the changes made to get duty cycle and TPS into the data stream. I can't see any duty cyle values over about 25%.

Thanks.

I ground (battery -) the neutral / park wire (usually pin B10?), which always sets the ECM to park / neutral.

dave w