Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: VE coming out way over 100

They work fine like that and factory truck filters are also horizontal. Is yours pointing the right way?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    They work fine like that and factory truck filters are also horizontal. Is yours pointing the right way?
    99% sure, but I'll double check.

just throwing this out there, but have you logged battery volts? a cold alternator will put out more voltage than a hot one. also as wires get hot they increase in resistance. is your battery, chassis, engine grounds good? I know the injector offset vs battery should compensate for this but if they are off or there is ther things factoring in... It could just be a bad ground between the block and the rest of the vehicle. my buddy had dim headlights for the longest time and coundn't figure out why, when the alt checked good and the volt meter in the dash read 14v while running. come to find out the ground strap between his body and block was bad.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    Well, I think the plugs look okay, not fried or oily:

Changing plugs around the headers is a PITA. I also looked over the fuel lines and everything looks good. The fuel filter is oriented correctly. Fuel goes into the TBI on the driver's side, right?How do you get hose for a fuel pressure gauge out from under the hood? I don't have a big enough gap, unless I rig up the little tube like for a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

They look preety good! Little old and rusty... thought you lived in Tuscon? Where'd the rust come from? Did you look at O2 sensor? From looks of plugs inside of O2 should look OK. Outside not crusty, dirty, oily, covered in mud?

My Blazer and Suburban I drilled a hole in firewall for fuel line to come up through vents under windshield wipers. Other cars had rubber seal and I laid the hose there and only closed the hood to first latch.

You got a data log?

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You got a data log?
    I second that request!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I second that request!

dave w
    I have to remember how to do it. Just hit record in tunerPro, right? I'll get one for you guys today if I can get free.

I'm in Tucson now, but I was in Iowa for 14 years. I seldom drove the K5 in the winter after I painted it, but just being there at all... And those plugs are ancient.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an EBL. Not just because of this, but I've been looking at them for a while and I know it's just a matter of time. I don't expect it to fix this, but I think the instrumentation will be better and easier, and Bob would tell me with total certainty what was going on if I had software questions. Plus I could stick the ECM up under the dash someplace instead of sliding around on the floor with the Ostrich hanging off. I think I could use an analog channel on the EBL to get fuel pressure out too.

Have any of you guys ever seen an ECM go bad in a way that it degraded instead of just failing? This is a long shot, but I was thinking that if the clock in the ECM went bad, it would get the injector times all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    I have to remember how to do it. Just hit record in tunerPro, right? I'll get one for you guys today if I can get free.

I'm in Tucson now, but I was in Iowa for 14 years. I seldom drove the K5 in the winter after I painted it, but just being there at all... And those plugs are ancient.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an EBL. Not just because of this, but I've been looking at them for a while and I know it's just a matter of time. I don't expect it to fix this, but I think the instrumentation will be better and easier, and Bob would tell me with total certainty what was going on if I had software questions. Plus I could stick the ECM up under the dash someplace instead of sliding around on the floor with the Ostrich hanging off. I think I could use an analog channel on the EBL to get fuel pressure out too.

Have any of you guys ever seen an ECM go bad in a way that it degraded instead of just failing? This is a long shot, but I was thinking that if the clock in the ECM went bad, it would get the injector times all wrong.
    I've never had an ECM experience a degrading failure like you describe. My experience has been the ECM works fine or has a complete failure (no start).

I'm usually one that favors the newer 16197427 TBI PCM upgrade vs. EBL, mostly because of the lower costs involved in the 16197427 upgrade. I usually install the new 16197427 PCM back into the original ECM location and place the Ostrich 2 in the glove box. Having the Ostrich 2 in the glove box makes for an easy (unplug / plug) vehicle anti-theft system! The Ostrich 2 has a battery, so the computer does not have to re-learn if / when the Ostrich 2 is ever unplugged.

The TunerPro V5 logging options are in the Acquisition tool bar. You need to load a data stream file, .adx similar / almost like loading a .xdf. The actual data log is saved as an .xdl file, which is the file I hope you can post here for us to look at.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'm usually one that favors the newer 16197427 TBI PCM upgrade vs. EBL, mostly because of the lower costs involved in the 16197427 upgrade. The TunerPro V5 logging options are in the Acquisition tool bar. You need to load a data stream file, .adx similar / almost like loading a .xdf. The actual data log is saved as an .xdl file, which is the file I hope you can post here for us to look at.

dave w

I second that........look at this upgrade, it costs far less and has lots of benefits.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Super Moderator
    i've seen partial and intermittent failures with specific ECMs. some of which were temporarily revived by smacking the box when it was driving down the road, and all of a sudden everything works perfect for a while.

and if the clock was bad, you won't get any ALDL data, i would think.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Agreed, if the clock was dead the whole thing would go. If the clock was running slow or intermittently things could get interesting though. I think if it was slow it would probably overfuel though, so mine would have to be running fast. Unlikely. I'm grasping because I can't imagine what could be wrong with my fuel system at this point.

The nice thing about EBL is that it plugs into my existing harness and has a great interface, plus actual support. I looked into it a little and logging fuel pressure is a piece of cake (once you spring $100 for the transducer ). Plus the benefit of having it all in a single, self contained package.

EBL is a fine product but a little overkill for a stock motor, as far as support again excellent but your getting excellent support here too! It can't fix stuff that ain't right mechanically. You already have all equiptment needed to tune so if you repinned to 16197427 your still ready to go.

Once you have TunerPro RT running you'll never look back! Then you have to pay the $30 to support his efforts in giving us software that is incredible compared to anything else! Plus it data logs, tunes your bin and burns from same program! I'll upload the XDF (bin tuner) and ADX (data logger) for you.

Get it and install it then plug your cable and see which COM port it is on. Open TP and go to Tools, Preferences and Data Acqusition and choose plug in, configuration and make sure it see's that Com Port or change it, or move USB cable to another slot. Once that is done it's just a matter of Connect and when you see data Record. When your done click stop and it will prompt you to save with a name.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I do have TunerproRT going, I've just only been looking at the tables, not long term logs. I'll try to get a log today. Wife and kid stuff ya know. I'm not real impressed with the dashboard I have for tunerPro right now, maybe I'll give yours a shot to see what's in there.

Yes, you guys are helping!

I'm still liking the EBL though. Displaying and logging the fuel pressure real time would be excellent. And let's be honest, it would just be a fun toy. That's what this is all about. My K5 is no longer daily transportation.

I think if you repinned to a '7427, and had a well layed out dash, you would be impressed with the amount of data available.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

He'll be impressed with all the dash boards in this ADX. But if he had a 16197427 there would not be enough dashboard for all the data!

You can make your own dash boards too! Then right click on any and choose what you want there!

-= =-