Thread: new member with 1994 Chevy C2500

Carb and Points!

new member with 1994 Chevy C2500

Hi everyone, new member here. My 1994 Chevy C2500 truck has an ongoing problem of the engine stalling at stoplights. I’m hoping that a tuning program can help me identify and fix the stalling issue. I recently installed the latest version of TunerPro RT. I plan to study the various posts and resources on this website to get started with tuning.

Administrator
    Welcome to gearhead-efi.

Tunerpro might be able to help you see exactly what's going wrong. Is this a stock vehicle?

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the reply, that's good news. Yes the truck is completely stock as manufactured by the factory. The sticker on the ECM reads 16197427 BHPA, so I'm assuming I need the BHPA Bin file. I've looked in the 16197427 thread but BHPA Bin is not one of the available Bins. Is there a way to read the Bin file from the vehicle? Or alternately is there a Bin file close to BHPA? The vehicle is 1994 C2500 5.7L 4L60E 3.42 Rear Axle Ratio and was originally manufactured/delivered for California.

Administrator
    The .bin file contains the instructions and values needed to make the engine run. For this job you probably won't need to be doing anything with the instructions. What you need to do is connect to the computer through the dash connector, the ALDL (or OBD) port to "see" what the computer is seeing from the sensors. That would require a datastream definition file, or ADX file. With the adx you can watch such values as the oxygen sensor readings, the temperature sensor readings, and the throttle position readings. Since the vehicle is stock we can assume it ran correctly at some point. The goal would be to determine what, if anything, is not correct now.

Carb and Points!
    OK, thanks. I've downloaded several ADX files that appear to be the correct one for my vehicle (including A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx), loaded the definition file in Tuner Pro, connected my ALDL cable to the dash connector and started data scan. I was able to see information on the running engine in the Tuner Pro status area including tachometer, vehicle speed, throttle position and others, so I think I can acquire engine data. Then I drove the vehicle for about 15 minutes and stopped the data scan. I think I saved the data scan hoping I could examine it later to determine the cause of the engine stalling after my 15 minute test drive (I have a file named first_test.xdl) but maybe I did something wrong. When I load this log file first_test.xdl into Tuner Pro the engine data doesn't make any sense. For example the vehicle speed indicater in Tuner Pro's dash area shows 140 mph, but in my test drive I never drove above 40mph. I'll keep studying the Tuner Pro guide and instructions and post any questions in the appropriate forum. By the way, I also ordered and received the APU1 AutoProm package and a G1 memory adapter from Moates, so I now have some additional tools to hopefully get this truck running good.