Thread: 4.3L to 5.3L Learning Curve

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Wink 4.3L to 5.3L Learning Curve

Hello all, I'M currently swapping out a 4.3L TBI in a 95 K1500 4wd with a manual tranny to a 5.7L TBI that was running in early 90's model truck. The motor has had performance upgrades done to it just not sure on size of cam shaft and what all has been done to the heads. Anyways I have found a lot of use full information on this forum so far. Now to just try and make sense of the information overload my brain has been subjected to. Maybe someone could help point me in the right direction. I currently have the engine swap complete but it will not idle for crap it is running way to rich. I think I have it narrowed down to the fact that I used knock sensor (8K Ohms) off of the V6 engine that was on the back of the passenger head and I extended the wire from the other sensor on the V6 that was on the driver side to the knock sensor that was with the V8 (10K Ohms) that is in the block on the passenger side down by the starter. Also it is currently using the V6 PROM as well. The current computer is a 16197427 BJWT . What I am trying to figure out is what knock sensor setup I should be using also can I get a chip that will function correctly from a donor computer luckily I have access to a lot of vehicles as I have been in the salvage business for 20+ years or do I need to burn a custom chip to make this combo work. I will be scouring over the forums to look for these answers but I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me or kick me at this point in the right direction.

Thank you
    Bobby

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidatyl View Post
    Hello all, I'M currently swapping out a 4.3L TBI in a 95 K1500 4wd with a manual tranny to a 5.7L TBI that was running in early 90's model truck. The motor has had performance upgrades done to it just not sure on size of cam shaft and what all has been done to the heads. Anyways I have found a lot of use full information on this forum so far. Now to just try and make sense of the information overload my brain has been subjected to. Maybe someone could help point me in the right direction. I currently have the engine swap complete but it will not idle for crap it is running way to rich. I think I have it narrowed down to the fact that I used knock sensor (8K Ohms) off of the V6 engine that was on the back of the passenger head and I extended the wire from the other sensor on the V6 that was on the driver side to the knock sensor that was with the V8 (10K Ohms) that is in the block on the passenger side down by the starter. Also it is currently using the V6 PROM as well. The current computer is a 16197427 BJWT . What I am trying to figure out is what knock sensor setup I should be using also can I get a chip that will function correctly from a donor computer luckily I have access to a lot of vehicles as I have been in the salvage business for 20+ years or do I need to burn a custom chip to make this combo work. I will be scouring over the forums to look for these answers but I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me or kick me at this point in the right direction.

Thank you
    Bobby
    The two V6 knock sensors have the same resistance value in parallel as the single V8 knock sensor. You only need to use the single later model V8 Automatic knock sensor. The V8/Manual trans trucks did not get the newer P4 based TBI PCM but retained the older C3 style ECM. You will need to custom burn a chip to keep the newer style PCM as well as get the correct V8 memcal.

Carb and Points!
    Thank you, Fast355

Ok so it looks like I need to use/find a knock sensor that is 4K Ohms and replace the older V8 10K Ohms Sensor and just leave the sensor that was in the back of the head disconnected. As far as finding the correct V8 memcal can I get that out of any V8 TBI computer or does it need to come from a 7427? As far as burning a new chip do you have any recommendations on programming hardware/software. Also since there are no known .bin files with a 5.7 and a manual tranny would starting from a 7.4 .bin with a manual tranny be a good option?