Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 27SF512 chips how to code them so no one can read or copy of mapping?

Fuel Injected!
    No part numbers or any markings on the decoder. It plugs into the like OBDII port of a car on the sled. So where I would plug in my scan tool. There is only one xdf file for this application. What I have concluded is that the ECU is able to read both chips and the 8k was apparently done useing a different program and so I can only copy and burn it but unable to read it correctly and modify it. I wish there was a way to read it, but it seems to be what it is. Seems to have been done in a way to protect the fuel map on the chip so others could't copy it. Is there an easy way for a non-tech savy person like me to take the 512 chip and make it like this so it is protected?

Fuel Injected!
    Seeing this whole thread, the simple fact is that the chip CAN NOT be encoded in any special manner if the ECM can both read your plain coded chips and these "encoded" chips.

A decoder module would only make sense to scramble the chip contents if it connected between the chip and the ECM so that decoder is likely in some way modifying the operation by writing an over-riding command or commands to the ECM.

1320_john could easily be right about the different chips have tables in different locations. After all, both chip sizes likely contain all the operating code so each size could effectively be a different OS and the encoded OS chip could have been made to have the tables in different locations compared to the stock chip. The people behind it could have also altered who knows what else if they went that far.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the reply. So pretty much whatever company built this encdoded chip went to great measures to do so and most likely spent some good money do it and so it wouldn't be feasable to do it now with new chips?I have a few chips that are what I would called piggyback 3 chips stacked........what is the purpose of this?

Fuel Injected!
    I'm sure if you duplicate the subject chip and used the funny box, everything would work just fine. If you knew what was going on in the funny box, you could get a bit further along. You can do it if you want to put in the time, but it takes a lot of time. The funny box could be as simple as a resistor network, or it could be a microcontroller to serially communicate with the ECU. Once you get that figured out. You would then have to crack open the ECU and start figuring things out in there; what microprocessor, and disassemble any code that may reside in the ECU. Heck, there might be no code at all in the ECU. All the code could be in the PROM you have. It's just a bunch of reverse engineering. Depending on your drive to figure this all out, I would look to see if that ECU is used on other vehicles. There could be a community of hackers out there already working on it. Concerning the chip stack, you would have to post a picture. It could be someone trying to bank select; aka have multiple maps you can switch between. A few of the pins would need to be broken out so that you could select between chips.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't think the ECU was used in anything else. I can duplicate the funny chip and it will work in the sled without the funny box. I can do some checking to see exactly what the decoder box is. All I know about them is a guy made them himself for an aftermarket pipe company and he died and took his plans for it with them. So no more of them could be made without having it reverse engineered itself. I think the funny box might just be a thing so the onboard warning light won't stay light solid all the time and will blink if any of the sensors go bad so it can flash the code and hence the reason its called a decoder box.....? maybe I don't know lol. I have the drink to figure it out, just no knowledge to get it done as I have never done anything like this before :( I can post a pic of the chip here soon.

Fuel Injected!
    Trying to reverse engineer something like this takes great effort. Before you proceed down that path, consider easier options like Megasquirt. Keep an open mind and good luck!

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks :) I do know a guy that has done the lag work and reverse engineered the ecu. I don't think he has much more interest in doing more work on it as he has moved on past his project with it

Fuel Injected!
    If the "decoder box" is on the serial communications link then it's sending serial commands to the ECU. It could be possible to monitor the link and see what is being sent if you really wanted to do it.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes I would be interested in doing it for sure. And yes it is on the serial communications link port.
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    If the "decoder box" is on the serial communications link then it's sending serial commands to the ECU. It could be possible to monitor the link and see what is being sent if you really wanted to do it.