Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 27SF512 chips how to code them so no one can read or copy of mapping?

Fuel Injected!

27SF512 chips how to code them so no one can read or copy of mapping?

Hello guys, I am wanting to protect my mapping on my chips so only I can read them and no one else can and or copy my chips. What do I need to do? I am useing the Moates Burn 2 programmer and 27SF512 chips.Thanks,Joe

Fuel Injected!
    If the ECM can read the chip, so can anyone else. Microcontrollers typically allow you to protect the code within them, but in that instance, the code is on the same chip as the microprocessor. Within most ECMs, the PROM and microprocessor are on the PCB. Pop the PROM, then read the contents!

Fuel Injected!
    I am working on a Snowmobile ECU. I have some aftermarket chips that are protected and which you can't read them. When you do all the values are the same #. I have a ton of chips for my snowmobile and just want to protect some that I have made.

Fuel Injected!
    Are you sure they aren't protected against writing? The Atmel EEPROMs that I use have that capability. You can send some commands to them and they are locked against writing. The microprocessor in your ECU reads the PROM to get the data. If the chip was protected against reading, the microprocessor can't see the data either. [what follows is from my recollection] Old Arcade cabinet video games used to scramble the data on the EPROM. They would use special microprocessors that would descramble the data on the fly. The EPROM would still output data and wasn't special in any way, but you needed a key to descramble the data. You also needed the key to encrypt the data on the EPROM. I think each uP had a unique key. This has slowed some of the video game historians from preserving a few of the video games.

Fuel Injected!
    I know they used to say you needed to buy there decoder box as they would call it to go along with there chip and plug it into the port where you would plug in a computer to monitor the system or there chip wouldn't work. I will have to try this out as I do have there decoder box and chip. But I have people that say they have there chip and run it without the decoder box with no issues. So basically in a nut shell is there anyway I can protect my data on the chip? Sorry I am not a whiz on this stuff, I can just do the basic stuff.

Fuel Injected!
    Let us know the brand ECU and stuff; folks here can take a look. Any idea what microprocessor the system is using? Anything is possible. The ECU manufacturer could store a key on the EPROM in a location only known to them. Maybe they are using a microcontroller with protected code to access an EPROM that is encrypted?

Fuel Injected!
    It is a Polaris indy 650 RXL snowmobiles. The ecu on the bottom says Japan electonic control systems co ltd made in japan. I know the scan tool for it is for a subaru car. This is all from the 90's. I am sorry I do not know what microprocessor or anything it is useing. The ecu is stock for the sled, the chip is the only thing changed that is aftermarket so it is within the chip. Also the internal led code flashing light stays solid light with the aftermarket chips in it but with the stock chips it doesn't light up......i'm a bit confused on this one. I just went out and tried the 2 aftermarket chips that I can't read in a stock sled I have without using there supposed required decoder box and both chips work fine. So the ECU is reading the chip just fine however the moates burn 2 reader isn't.

Fuel Injected!
    Throw up some pics of the decoder and chips if you can. Part numbers on everything can help. Does the good stock chip have a part number on it? Manufacturer? Are you sure the 27SF512 is compatible? xxx256 chips are much more common. Are you sure the decoder thingy isn't an adapter for a xxx512 sized chip in a xxx256 application? Could be that, or maybe the decoder reroutes the address and data lines.

Fuel Injected!
    The stock chips in the ecu were 256 but the 512 chips will work yes as I am using the 512 chips with no issues at all. the stock fuel maps and aftermarket fuel maps are 32.0 kb of info. I have been able to read all stock and aftermarket chips for these except for this one aftermarket companys chip for this ecu with its own fuel mapping on it. all the values for the fuel map are 1.19 and the tps values are all 23.0 and the rpm values are all 1900. the decoder box can't be required to use as I just went out out the chip in the ECU and started and ran the sled without the decoder plugged in.

Fuel Injected!
    The one chip I can't read says the following on it: M2764A-2FI PGM 12.5V4880BST 9815SINGAPOREThe other chip I can't read says:M2764A-2FIPGM 12.5V488AGST 9618SINGAPOREA stock factory ECU chip says the following:F JAPAN27C256A-20-XGT9012 G4612.5V PGMThe chips that I am using and are working just fine are:SST 27SF512 The decoder box is something the company that sells the aftermarket chip for there pipes made. It has no writing or anything on it and it is sealed in black hard epoxy so there is no way to tear it apart without ruining it to know exactly what is inside it.

Fuel Injected!
    Those are 2764 chips. Does the Moates Burn2 have an option for 2764 chips? I'm going to look for the data sheet.

Fuel Injected!
    Pins 1, 26 and 27 are different between the chips. Those pins are for A13, A14, A15 as the size increases. 2764, 27c256, 27SF512 Inside the ECM they are probably grounded. 2764 should be readable.

Fuel Injected!
    It will read the chip however the data is scrambled or something.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't see anything that says for a 2764 chip on the burn 2 screen. These are my options: 29C256, 29F040, 27S512, 2732A (READ ONLY), 27C128 (READ ONLY), 27C256 (READ ONLY), 27C512 (READ ONLY), J3 FORD ADAPTER, F2E FORD EEC-IV READER, F2E FORD EEC-V READER, F5 FORD ADAPTER.
    Last edited by racingjoe66; 02-08-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't have a burn2. I have a different programmer. The Burn2 will probably read the 2764, but it is toggling those pins I mentioned, that aren't address lines. How big is the bin file? What options do you have for chips with the Burn2?