Thread: Engine opinions Please for OlBurb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I am talking about adding one to what already exist via the heater core. On the carbureted 350 Vortec I built, it had the bypass hole and passageway in the block. I simply drilled the Vortec head for the matching hole and had an internal bypass as well.
    Yes, the bypass uses the heater core exactly as explained in my post and the referenced post. You muddied up the requirements for a bypass by posting the "you do not need a bypass of any kind" statement regardless of the intention. On a Vortec engine (not just using the heads but the newer block too) there MUST be an external coolant loop in place to perform the bypass function.

The OP also asked about NOT running the GMPP manifold.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Yes, the bypass uses the heater core exactly as explained in my post and the referenced post. You muddied up the requirements for a bypass by posting the "you do not need a bypass of any kind" statement regardless of the intention. On a Vortec engine (not just using the heads but the newer block too) there MUST be an external coolant loop in place to perform the bypass function. The OP also asked about NOT running the GMPP manifold.
    That depends on what water pump you use. The Vortec block I built had the passageways and with the older water pump, simply drilling the head provided for the correct coolant bypass. Actually if you simply use the Vortec heads even on an older block it will block off the bypass!

Carb and Points!
    Thanks everyone for the feedback but Jegs called to verify order and I was so confused I chickened out on the vortec and changed my order to a Lo5 engine that came stock in the old burb. It will be much cheaper and faster to get going again. I know it is not close to as good an engine but it has been sufficient for years.
    I may try some tuning on it and get some experience and at a later date try the vortec and sell the lo5