Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VE Table Tuning

VE Table Tuning

I have been continuing my "schooling" in preparation to have a go at a tune after I install a wide band AFR gauge which Brown Santa left on my door step today. I pretty much have my head wrapped around the logging and playback to fill the BLM history table and using the Excel spreadsheet theory after read this: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial! and other links. The first stumbling block I think I have is not having Excel on any of my PC's I have Open Office, it seems to only open the history as READ ONLY. Is there any work-around for this or is Excel a must ? Also, I have the Moates ALDU1, the AFR gauge has a 5-30v and an analog output for logging, can the output be tapped into the ALDU1 to add the AFR data to the logging on TunerProV5 ?
    Dean

Open Office Calc spreadsheet should work when you use Open Office to open the Excel VE Fixer spreadsheet, then save the VE Fixer as a Calc spreadsheet. ... You will need to highlight the History Tables from TunerPro RT and use Shortcut Keys "Ctrl + C" (control key and letter C at the same time) to copy the history tables from TunerPro RT, then use Shortcut Keys "Ctrl +V to paste the History Tables into the Open Office spreadsheet. ... dave w

In Open Office under save as, this is what's shown, is the html.......calc what you are referring to ?
    Dean

Thanks for posting the screen shot in the above post. The screen shot shows a VE tuning spreadsheet for $8D ( 1990 - 1992 TPI 1227727 & 1227730). ... The attached Open Office spreadsheet is for $85 ( TBI PCM 16147060). ... dave w

either the .ods (open office specific) or .xls (microsoft specific) file extensions should work for your spreadsheet. I usually keep them as .xls since I send out a lot of files and most office peeps are stuck with microsoft software.... depending on your OS, you may have to make the spreadsheet into a "trusted document" - look for a button at top of the page when you open the document

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Thanks for posting the screen shot in the above post. The screen shot shows a VE tuning spreadsheet for $8D ( 1990 - 1992 TPI 1227727 & 1227730). ... The attached Open Office spreadsheet is for $85 ( TBI PCM 16147060). ... dave w
    Thanks Dave, that link opened directly as a Open Office doc with the delete / copy / paste functions enabled. Now on to practicing the filling in values etc.................I'm sure I'll be back soon with questions, I'm not in the "intermediate to advance excel skills" level but I'm speeding up that curve, any quick tips / advice to quicken my trip up is appreciated ! Also, my mask is shown as D8.
    Dean

I'll try to help, if you post the following files you are using. ... .xdf file, ... .adx file, ... .bin file, ... & .xdl file. ... dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'll try to help, if you post the following files you are using. ... .xdf file, ... .adx file, ... .bin file, ... & .xdl file. ... dave w
    Here is what I am using, had good results with connecting etc. but of course many of the parameters in the .xdf are not there. The "STOCK Bin" is what I read out from the Memcal. Edit; I do not have a .xdl file, or know what that is ??
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dktool; 01-29-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    Dean

The .xdl file is a data log file, which is "THE KEY FILE" to tuning VE. The data log (.xdl file) will have information on when the engine is running lean or running rich. VE tuning requires reprogramming the PROM chip to correct an engine from running lean or running rich. ... The attached screen shot, from a different computer / not the 16147060, is to help show what VE tuning looks like. ... dave w

I'm with you, I have already played around with replaying some short log files I saved and watched the .xdl file page populate, I was not hip on it being a .xdl file extension, now I am. For reference, is a 30 minute drive encompassing around town stop and go and a mix of on and off freeway at various loads with short flat steady speed sections enough to satisfy the .xdl fill in or is a much longer log needed ? Also, I have finished installing the wide band AFR gauge, this what I have; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Dean

When I copy the V.E. Table from TP to paste into the spread sheet, this is what happens, the number run together.......help ? Resolved, I had to select "separate by Tab" to get the number to file each cell in XX.XX format.
    Last edited by dktool; 01-29-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    Dean

Resolved, I have the BLM history table correctly pasted in the first section and the V.E. table from the bin pasted in the third section. Now, I want to copy the calculated numbers in the fourth section and paste that into the V.E. table in the bin, correct ?
    Dean

Put your cursor between the A and B in the columns and double click. This will auto adjust the column width to fit the data. Repeat for each column.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dktool View Post
    Resolved, I have the BLM history table correctly pasted in the first section and the V.E. table from the bin pasted in the third section. Now, I want to copy the calculated numbers in the fourth section and paste that into the V.E. table in the bin, correct ?
    Correct, you paste the calculated corrections back into the .bin file and "save as" with a new file name. I look at the "Show Table Graph" (3D View) after making VE corrections. The 3D View can be rotated by holding down the "Ctrl Key" on the keyboard and moving the mouse. ... Typically, as engine RPM increases the VE value will increase. ... Typically as engine load, Kpa, increases the VE value will increase. For example, the VE value of 30 Kpa / 800 RPM cell will have a lower VE value than 60 Kpa / 1600 RPM cell. There are some exceptions to when the VE values increase, for example the engine needs more fuel to accelerate a vehicle up to 70 MPH, then once the engine has the vehicle cruising at 70 MPH the fuel requirement is less (lower VE value). VE Tuning is "Thinking 3D" ... dave w

Thanks for the confirmation, prior to getting the spread sheet calculator theory straight in my head I had been "playing" with the V.E. table from the visual standpoint and smoothing, raising, lowering etc. just for practice and fun. I have saved several copies of the original .bin under various names and practicing on them but not running them. Here are images of the original V.E. table and one of my creations.
    Last edited by dktool; 01-30-2017 at 05:45 AM.
    Dean