Thread: Tbi fuel only conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Tbi fuel only conversion

Hi guys.Just a thoughtwill TBI conversion work without spark control?I wonder if its possible to do "Fuel Only" conversion. I know its not ideal but will it? If so, what needs to be done.I`m not sure if i can successfully convert my dizzy.Cheers

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mOskit View Post
    Hi guys.Just a thoughtwill TBI conversion work without spark control?I wonder if its possible to do "Fuel Only" conversion. I know its not ideal but will it? If so, what needs to be done.I`m not sure if i can successfully convert my dizzy.Cheers
    Yes it is possible. if you google there are a few who have done that on other sites by zero'ing out the timing tables and turning off some error codes. They usually did it because they couldn't use/make a compatible distributor for timing control. But if you have a GM engine, doing the timing would be just adding a distributor and coil. All of the other sensors for the complete fuel injection are needed for fueling only.
    Last edited by notime2d8; 01-03-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Cool.I have Mel 430 v8 in my Lincoln. I will have to butcher original dizzy, but if something gonna go wrong I'll be stuck forever due to lack of replacements.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mOskit View Post
    Cool.I have Mel 430 v8 in my Lincoln. I will have to butcher original dizzy, but if something gonna go wrong I'll be stuck forever due to lack of replacements.
    I think there are 2 used OEM distributors on EBay now for $40-60. Also there are aftermarket replacements if you have the 60's up 430 v8 MEL. But it's the first I've seen of someone wanting to add TBI to it. -but that's not saying much. Edit: I just saw where you were located....there may not be any replacements local.
    Last edited by notime2d8; 01-03-2017 at 10:58 PM.

I would keep the points distributor of the Mel 430 v8 and install a MSD 6AL Ignition System. ... http://documents.msdperformance.com/6201.pdf ... The '7747 requires a square wave reference pulse, which can be supplied by the MSD 6AL tachometer output. Using the MSD 6AL tachometer output eliminates the need for a GM Ignition Module to supply a square wave reference pulse to the '7747. ... dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I would keep the points distributor of the Mel 430 v8 and install a MSD 6AL Ignition System. ... http://documents.msdperformance.com/6201.pdf ... The '7747 requires a square wave reference pulse, which can be supplied by the MSD 6AL tachometer output. Using the MSD 6AL tachometer output eliminates the need for a GM Ignition Module to supply a square wave reference pulse to the '7747. ... dave w
    found this thread while searching. which pin on the 7747 do you hook the tach output of the MSD unit to? I think its pin B5 (reference pin which is ppl/wht) but I havent seen it confirmed anywhere and this thread just happens to go directly into what I'm doing at current point in time. I already have a msd 6a hooked to my original points distributor. I want to confirm all the wiring/sensors/tbi unit work for fueling before I go to the trouble of locking out/modifying a hei distributor.

I'd rather troubleshoot one side at a time to keep variables to a minimum vs just doing everything at once and chasing my tail on both sides of fueling and timing...