I dropped a 383 into my '90 Corvette, which someone was helping me tune. Due to a series of problems continually throwing the tune off, he threw in the towel, so I'm going to finish the tune on my own. I've done a lot of research, and I'm a quick learner, so I think I understand the concepts pretty well. However, knowing how much a mistake can cost me, I want to make sure I have everything straight. Here are the steps as I understand them:
  1. Datalog, adjust VE table values, and repeat until BLMs are all within a point or two of 128.
  2. Set deceleration fuel cutoff
  3. Slowly bump up Closed TPS Spark Advance values in each cell until datalogs show knock retard there, then decrease it a point or two in that cell; find max for each cell
  4. Repeat process for part throttle (Main Spark Advance table up to 90 kPa)
  5. After making sure BLMs are correct and there is no knock retard for other circumstances, set advance for WOT

Notes:
  • WOT AFR should be richer, cruise AFR leaner
  • All tables (whether in the BIN or datalog) should show consistent trends, not sudden spikes
  • Too much advance can decrease power before getting to the point knock is seen
  • Datalogging to set main VE and spark advance tables needs to be done in closed loop

Questions:
  • If a datalog doesn't have a value for a BLM cell, I just extrapolate the VE from adjacent values?
  • When do I set open loop change to AFR vs coolant temp and MAP? Once I'm done with everything else?
  • My VE is pretty much maxed from 3200-3600 RPM at WOT, so the guy helping me suggested changing injector flowrate to compensate. But from what I've read, a VE that high on gen 1 SBC is pretty abnormal--you guys think there's a problem there?
  • I read PE mode must be disabled to get BLMs at WOT since PE puts it into open loop; however, my datalogs show BLM values for WOT. Why the discrepancy?
  • How many spark advance cells should I change at a time?
  • Are there any other tables/scalars/flags I need to adjust?

As an aside, how the heck do you add line returns in a post? I've tried 3 different browsers, I've tried multiple returns in a row, I've tried BBCode... everything I try ends in line returns being replaced with spaces! The only way to get around it was to take advantage of lists' inherent formatting.