Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1992 P30 7.4 / 4L80E M.H. Chassis

My supplies from Moates arrived today, I removed the PCM, pulled the Memcal and made my first attempt at copying it. Question, do any offsets need to be specified in Flash N Burn to copy the memcal to the buffer to be able to save it as a file on the PC or only when burning the buffer to the chip ? When I copy it, the file shows 1 byte ?? All the instructions on Moates are very clear but I couldn't find anything regarding copying the memcal, only how to upload the saved file to buffer, then buffer to chip, then check chip against buffer to confirm complete burn.
    Last edited by dktool; 12-31-2016 at 05:24 AM.

What chip type did you select? 27C256 (Read Only)? Buffer size address 00000 -> 007FFF? Save Buffer to file for saving, should get a window to select a file name for the file you want to save and a location where to save the file. ... dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    What chip type did you select? 27C256 (Read Only)? Buffer size address 00000 -> 007FFF? Save Buffer to file for saving, should get a window to select a file name for the file you want to save and a location where to save the file. ... dave w
    I did not find any instruction referencing this setting ^^^ for reading the memcal, and how would one know which chip type to select ? If it's on the Moates site please link it too me so I verify that I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other. Now I will plug the burned chip into the PCM and see if it starts normally, previous attempt resulted in a limp mode start.

You installed the Burn 2 driver ( http://www.moates.net/usb-driver-p-215.html?cPath=78 ) with the Burn 2 USB cable plugged into the Laptop? I usually run the driver install "CDM20824_Setup.exe" file directly from the website to install the driver. Sometimes I have to run the driver install twice, I don't know why. .... I find chip information at this website ( http://www.exatorq.com/ludis_obd1/p4xref.html ). I also find chip information at TunerCats ( http://tunercat.com/ ) " ECM Definition Files " ... dave w

You installed the Burn 2 driver ( http://www.moates.net/usb-driver-p-215.html?cPath=78 ) with the Burn 2 USB cable plugged into the Laptop? I usually run the driver install "CDM20824_Setup.exe" file directly from the website to install the driver. Sometimes I have to run the driver install twice, I don't know why. .... I find chip information at this website ( http://www.exatorq.com/ludis_obd1/p4xref.html ). I also find chip information at TunerCats ( http://tunercat.com/ ) " ECM Definition Files " ... dave w
    Update; The Burn2 driver was from the Moates site, that works fine. After selecting the "read only" chip number you referenced I tried another copy of the Memcal, burned the file to a blank chip, plugged it all back into the PCM and it the engine started normally ! So now on to getting up to speed on the parameter lists and learning how / what to edit to test the EGR / TIMING issue.If anyone would like to look at my bin and make suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks for all the help to this point, the water really doesn't feel cold at all now ! Dean

Quote Originally Posted by dktool View Post
    Update; the water really doesn't feel cold at all now ! Dean
    Good show Dean. Hang in there. Bob
    Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

This table looks strange to me, comments ?

This table looks strange to me, comments ?
    I usually disable the EGR, things get complicated with timing using the EGR. My 1993 K1500 had the EGR disabled, WA emission ... No Problem! dave w

I usually disable the EGR, things get complicated with timing using the EGR. My 1993 K1500 had the EGR disabled, WA emission ... No Problem! dave w
    I set the "minimum coolant temp to enable EGR" to 125c to disable it for a test.

I did a test drive with the egr disabled and the dead band is gone. On a full throttle pull up a 7% grade from a stop, there was no knock count increase but the advance is only around 22*, I would like to work on the advance / rpm / load table. Here it is, .............. comments ?
    Dean

Some tuners would remove timing when the engine is under heavy load (Kpa's equal to or above 80 Kap) / higher RPM's (above 1600) to see what happens? ... That's tuning. ... Some tuners would add timing when the engine is under heavy load (Kpa's equal to or above 80 Kap) / higher RPM's (above 1600) to see what happens? ... That's tuning. ... Timing changes will effect the VE Table, so you will very likely need to correct the VE table after making timing changes. ... That's tuning. ... So now you are a tuner ... congratulations!! You now have FULL THROTTLE ACCESS to your chip!! ... dave w ... From post #5 in this thread ...
    This is what I was afraid of.
    Tuning???

Does that mean I'm ready for this;
    (advanced class student stuff) dave w
    If so, where do I enroll to get schooled on the VE tables and the rest of the fingers that make the hand work, or is it just seat of the pants trial and error to see what fingers get broken and which ones still bend ?
    Dean

Fuel Injected!
    Last edited by LRT; 05-24-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    You have 3 choices - leave it as it is, retain a professional tuner, or learn to tune this yourself. Learning to tune yourself is an exercise in self-education. This is where many of us began. Your "schooling" may consist of purchasing books / DVDs on the subject, and scouring internet forums for accurate information (shockingly not all information on the internet is accurate). There are formal classes available, but these are expensive, and typically don't cover how to tune OBD-I controllers - as these controllers are obsolete (no offense intended, just the reality of the situation). Guessing that Dave W. has been at this for more than a decade, as have I. Learning to tune takes a lot of time and effort. Some people get good at it, some do not. Some tune for fun, others start a business offering tuning support for a fee. If you decide that you want to learn how to tune, then it is up to you to self-educate.
    Understood, any pointers to good links for knowledge are appreciated, I will continue to Google-on as I have to this point. Thanks !
    Dean

Fuel Injected!
    Last edited by LRT; 05-24-2021 at 11:16 PM.