Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1992 P30 7.4 / 4L80E M.H. Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by dktool View Post
    Edit: After some searching, some clarity is coming back, I think ! Here's my take; The Mencal board containing the prom is removed from the ecm, the board plugs into the Mencal Header which in turn plugs into the Burn 2, is this correct ?
    ....Correct .....
    Why not just remove the prom chip and copy it ?
    The PROM Chip is Soldered into the Memcal, which is nearly impossible to successfully remove.... The HDR1 header is a tool for the PROM "tool box" that does not get used very often.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    ....Correct ..... The PROM Chip is Soldered into the Memcal, which is nearly impossible to successfully remove.... The HDR1 header is a tool for the PROM "tool box" that does not get used very often.
    OK, so the Memcal get reinstalled in the ecm after being copied and then there is still space and connections for the G1 Adapter Board and new chip to plug in, and this also acts to bypass the original prom ?

Fuel Injected!
    Other way around. The adapter goes in first and then the memcal plugs into the adapter.

OK, so the Memcal get reinstalled in the ecm after being copied and then there is still space and connections for the G1 Adapter Board and new chip to plug in, and this also acts to bypass the original prom ?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...0E-M-H-Chassis ...post #4 shows pictures of the Memcal plugged into the G1. Then the G1 / Memcal assembly installed into the ECM. dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 12-23-2016 at 07:24 PM.

More Pics ... Burn 2 / Memcal / HDR1 ... The blue cover was removed from the Memcal to show where the PROM Chip is in the Memcal. Removing the blue cover is not necessary to read the chip. dave w

I am going to purchase the Burn2, G2 Adapter, Memcal Header and a couple chips and also download Flash & Burn. Am I missing anything ? All this info and these items are great so far, the main question now is how do I, or who can "learn me" on finding and editing the tables I need to change to experiment with this ERG / TIMING issue ?

Fuel Injected!
    Dont forget the zif socket, you will be glad you did and one of the first mistakes I made was just getting a couple of chips, get a 10 pack, you will find use for them.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    Dont forget the zif socket, you will be glad you did and one of the first mistakes I made was just getting a couple of chips, get a 10 pack, you will find use for them.
    Dave W recommended the S4 zif socket, would the S4 be a better choice ? Looks to be much more durable. Edit on prior post: I will buy the G1 adapter not the G2

Dave W recommended the S4 zif socket, would the S4 be a better choice ? Looks to be much more durable. Edit on prior post: I will buy the G1 adapter not the G2
    I like the low profile of the S4, because the chip access cover can be put back on the computer. The S2 is admittedly a better ZIF, but is taller and won't allow the chip access cover to be but back on the computer. I think two chips is enough. dave w

I like the low profile of the S4, because the chip access cover can be put back on the computer. The S2 is admittedly a better ZIF, but is taller and won't allow the chip access cover to be but back on the computer. I think two chips is enough. dave w
    Thanks for the clarification Dave. Do you have any input on my "learn me" question in post #21 ?

it might be a good plan to look at $85 .xdf and .bin file to study the parameters. That is what I did years ago. I'll be very blunt and strait to the point, homework / homework and even more homework. Make a simple change to the .bin and see what happens to the data log. Straight up, no BS... trail and error and then more trial and error to get the engine running correctly. Straight up, ask a specific question on a parameter, and learn from the input gearhead-efii members reply... for example what if the injector flow is changed from 61 lbs /hr to to 58 lbs/ hr...sure enough the entire fuel table will make every cell in the VE add fuel. What if the EGR needs to be disabled...well set the EGR enable temperature to 151C or set the EGR enable speed to 255 MPH. Straight up / no magic the team that designed the .bin file use Math and Logic...add fuel / subtract fuel ... add timing / subtract timing ... enable / disable logic. The phrase a lion can kill an elephant...one bite at a time. Focus... one parameter at a time! dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 12-25-2016 at 10:20 AM.

it might be a good plan to look at $85 .xdf and .bin file to study the parameters. That is what I did years ago. I'll be very blunt and strait to the point, homework / homework and even more homework. Make a simple change to the .bin and see what happens to the data log. Straight up, no BS... trail and error The phrase a lion can kill an elephant...one bite at a time. Focus... one parameter at a time! dave w
    I get the "one bit at a time" that is how I approach troubleshooting etc. in all things, and to learn by asking. So I will ask;......Once I copy my chip, I will be able to open, view and get acquainted with all parameters tables through the TP software only ?

Once I copy my chip, I will be able to open, view and get acquainted with all parameters tables through the TP software only ?
    ...Correct ... TunerPro is not the only .bin file editor. There is the option of using TunerCats ( http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/tnr_desc.html ) as a .bin file editor. ... I originally started with TunerCats. TunerCats is not freeware you will need to purchase TunerCats and the $85 definition file ( http://www.tunercat.com/pdfs/pcm_$85.pdf )... TunerPro has greatly improved over the years and is now my primary OBD1 software. TunerPro RT ( a suggested $39 donation ) can be used as .bin file editor and data log. TunerCats does not data log. ... dave w

I bought myself the following last minute Christmas gift; 1 x HDR1 Memcal Header (HDR1) = $10.00 1 x S4 Aries 28-pin Low-Profile ZIF (S4) = $7.00 2 x C2 SST 27SF512 Chip (C2) = $10.00 1 x G1 Memory Adapter: TPI ETC. (G1) = $35.00 1 x 'BURN2 Chip Programmer' (BURN2) = $85.00

I bought myself the following last minute Christmas gift; 1 x HDR1 Memcal Header (HDR1) = $10.00 1 x S4 Aries 28-pin Low-Profile ZIF (S4) = $7.00 2 x C2 SST 27SF512 Chip (C2) = $10.00 1 x G1 Memory Adapter: TPI ETC. (G1) = $35.00 1 x 'BURN2 Chip Programmer' (BURN2) = $85.00
    Money well spent, knowledge learned ... priceless! ... dave w