Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1992 P30 7.4 / 4L80E M.H. Chassis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dktool View Post
    Then, how to modify the trip point to something like cutting the modulation to a near zero percentage at the dead band trip point in hopes it won't pull the advance back with it. Also, I have no experience with the hexadecimal language so that also needs to be learned ! I have made my career by being self taught so if it's doable with only "virtual" teachers then, I'm in.
    The Hexadecimal information is for using Offset and for actual binary coding of the .bin file location / address (advanced class student stuff) The beginner can do very well without ever having to use Hexadecimal coding in the .bin file! Understanding Hexadecimal file size is needed for burning a chip with "offsets"..... Attached are some screen shots of the $85 transmission parameters and tables. I also included a screen shot of the Hexadecimal location in the .bin for $85, which is not necessary to know as a beginner! dave w

So, to be clear...... with the Burn 2, I would remove my prom, put it in the Burn 2, copy the image to my pc, remove the prom, put a new blank one in and upload / burn the saved image from my pc to the new chip. Is this correct ? Also, what is the function of the "calpack" module ? I see that the Moates chip adapter consumes the space where the calpack is.
    Last edited by dktool; 12-23-2016 at 05:54 AM.

Your $85 computer uses a Memcal, see my previous pics. Attached is a Memcal pic without the blue cover, showing the soldered in chip and knock filter board. To read the PROM chip from a Memcal I use the Moates.net HDR1 header http://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-he....html?cPath=64 which plugs into the Memcal so the Burn 2 can read the PROM chip.... Just a note, learn where the #1 pin is on a chip!!! http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010...finding-pin-1/ dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Your $85 computer uses a Memcal, see my previous pics. Attached is a Memcal pic without the blue cover, showing the soldered in chip and knock filter board. To read the PROM chip from a Memcal I use the Moates.net HDR1 header http://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-he....html?cPath=64 which plugs into the Memcal so the Burn 2 can read the PROM chip.... Just a note, learn where the #1 pin is on a chip!!! http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010...finding-pin-1/ dave w
    Just as I was starting to see some clarity it looks like the fog is rolling in ! So now I am reading the prom via the Memcal ? How can the Burn 2 unit connect to the Memcal via the memcal header if it is still in the ecm and the Burn 2 is configured to except a prom chip ? So confused......... :) Edit: After some searching, some clarity is coming back, I think ! Here's my take; The Mencal board containing the prom is removed from the ecm, the board plugs into the Mencal Header which in turn plugs into the Burn 2, is this correct ? Why not just remove the prom chip and copy it ?
    Last edited by dktool; 12-23-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Edit: After some searching, some clarity is coming back, I think ! Here's my take; The Mencal board containing the prom is removed from the ecm, the board plugs into the Mencal Header which in turn plugs into the Burn 2, is this correct ?
    ....Correct .....
    Why not just remove the prom chip and copy it ?
    The PROM Chip is Soldered into the Memcal, which is nearly impossible to successfully remove.... The HDR1 header is a tool for the PROM "tool box" that does not get used very often.

....Correct ..... The PROM Chip is Soldered into the Memcal, which is nearly impossible to successfully remove.... The HDR1 header is a tool for the PROM "tool box" that does not get used very often.
    OK, so the Memcal get reinstalled in the ecm after being copied and then there is still space and connections for the G1 Adapter Board and new chip to plug in, and this also acts to bypass the original prom ?

Fuel Injected!
    Other way around. The adapter goes in first and then the memcal plugs into the adapter.

OK, so the Memcal get reinstalled in the ecm after being copied and then there is still space and connections for the G1 Adapter Board and new chip to plug in, and this also acts to bypass the original prom ?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...0E-M-H-Chassis ...post #4 shows pictures of the Memcal plugged into the G1. Then the G1 / Memcal assembly installed into the ECM. dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 12-23-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Does that mean I'm ready for this;
    (advanced class student stuff) dave w
    If so, where do I enroll to get schooled on the VE tables and the rest of the fingers that make the hand work, or is it just seat of the pants trial and error to see what fingers get broken and which ones still bend ?
    Dean

Fuel Injected!
    Last edited by LRT; 05-24-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    You have 3 choices - leave it as it is, retain a professional tuner, or learn to tune this yourself. Learning to tune yourself is an exercise in self-education. This is where many of us began. Your "schooling" may consist of purchasing books / DVDs on the subject, and scouring internet forums for accurate information (shockingly not all information on the internet is accurate). There are formal classes available, but these are expensive, and typically don't cover how to tune OBD-I controllers - as these controllers are obsolete (no offense intended, just the reality of the situation). Guessing that Dave W. has been at this for more than a decade, as have I. Learning to tune takes a lot of time and effort. Some people get good at it, some do not. Some tune for fun, others start a business offering tuning support for a fee. If you decide that you want to learn how to tune, then it is up to you to self-educate.
    Understood, any pointers to good links for knowledge are appreciated, I will continue to Google-on as I have to this point. Thanks !
    Dean

Fuel Injected!
    Last edited by LRT; 05-24-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Does that mean I'm ready for this; If so, where do I enroll to get schooled on the VE tables and the rest of the fingers that make the hand work, or is it just seat of the pants trial and error to see what fingers get broken and which ones still bend ?
    Not quite advanced class, but definitely INTERMEDIATE level. ... See attached 1227747 TBI ECM screen shots to get an idea of what to look for when tuning (your 16147060 PCM will be similar). BLM's are fuel corrections, used to determine if the engine is running lean / rich. BLM's below 128 are Rich and BLM above 128 are lean. Usually BLM's between 123 ~ 133 are acceptable. ... Adjustments to the Fuel Table (VE table) adding or subtracting fuel is what is changed to correct the BLM to an ideal 128. ... Check out the '7060 information in this gearhead-efi tread, http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-85 and follow the links in that tread for more information. ... I use Excel spreadsheets to tune with because the data from a data log is very large and Excel is good tool to manage HUGE amounts of data. Open Office (freeware) is another tool available to manage HUGE amounts of data https://www.openoffice.org/ ... dave w

Are those history table on TunerPro ? I haven't found anything like that.
    Dean

Are those history table on TunerPro ? I haven't found anything like that.
    TunerPro "RT" (Real Time) suggested $39 donation. dave w