Thread: 400FWHP TBI build attempt thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Long overdue update. I swapped the Summit rocker arms for some Scorpions. Stud girdle is in, pushrods measured out at exactly 7.2", intake is installed, distributor is within 2* of zero with #1 at TDC. Found a crack in the oil cooler housing when I primed the oiling system. Found one in the local boneyard for $6. It's pretty much ready to drop back in and start buttoning everything back up. A little over a week ago I went back to the tune and tried to make some decent progress. Some is based on educated guesswork. Bin file and change log attached, as well as a worksheet I started putting together to compare spark and VE parameters between stock TBI, Vortec, LT1, LT4 and an LT1 Cadillac with a towing package option. Here's what I haven't addressed yet in the tune, notes about what I need to cover:

AE - Acceleration Enrichment parameters
    HotRST - Hot restart parameters
    Find and set idle parameters
    Find SA Latency on the Ramjet distributor's ignition module for "SA - Latency" table
    Tune out EGR*
    Engine and Vehicle Speed Limiting
    IAC parameters

1104060 distributor, used on the fuel injected Ram Jet 350 and Ram Jet 502. Includes ignition module P/N 10482830, cap P/N 19166099 and rotor P/N 10477219.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gojira94; 01-04-2021 at 07:16 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, so it's been a while and I'm closer to having it running. Sorry for not posting for a month. I haven't touched the tune since last update. I went through and tried harder to wrap my head around what I'd really need to change for AE and HotRST and concluded that percentages are derived from what already exists for base fueling and I probably don't need to change that, at least for now. I found idle stuff and left it where it was, will see how it does with 850RPM in park and in gear. I don't think I'll need to bump that up any, may see if I can get away with slightly lower if required vacuum for brakes and tolerates it and it's adequate for keeping idle fueling down to 13psi on vac. ref. Anyway, here's some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Finally got it buttoned up and fired off on Oct. 7th. Hurricane Florence interrupted a lot during September. 2 days later I was asked to do a resto to road ready on a 2005 Volvo V50 so that's been all my spare time since. That's pretty much done so I'm looking to getting back on the truck. I did a 15 mile drive with datalog and it's pretty fat mostly everywhere so I took a 2nd whack at more realistic VE tables and going back through the tune in little pockets of time I had since early October.

Here's a vid from the first startup. The oil behind is from a tractor, lol. In the video I remind myself to put the MAP sensor bracket back on (was in the way of setting base timing on the dist.)

https://youtu.be/IjU4LSi-Q1E

Hopefully I will have more time for this before crazy holiday time hits. At any rate, sorry to be absent, I haven't given up just busy with life stuff.

Fuel Injected!
    That sounds great. waiting to see how it runs. Are you going to get it dyno'd?