Thread: Tools are good...

Fuel Injected!

Tools are good...

I think my head is going to explode from the amount of reading I've been doing. This place is an amazing resource. I admit I'm a little nervous. This is my first attempt at converting an older style engine to EFI and tuning it. Hopefully I don't ask too many dumb questions...

I originally thought it best to buy the Moates APU1 AutoProm package for my project. But I was a little concerned about it being limited to the OBD1 Gm. Still, and amazing piece of kit. Instead I took a more universal and separate path for tools.

I purchased an Ostrich 2.0 for emulation, a GQ-4X4 universal programmer, and a FT232RL adapter for an ALDL cable I will make. The Ostrich I can use for a future Honda project I have, and the GQ-4X4 will be more useful for my bench. The GQ-4X4 will program a LOT more devices than just EProms/EEProms.

I also started some mods to the 16197427 memcal that will be used for this project. My plan is to modify the 16197427 PCM for MPFI use.

Some Pictures:

Progress will be slow but hopefully sure.

David

I feel the same way. There is so much tech and info on this site its hard to take it all in. I just picked up a Moates ALDU1, CABL1, and a BURN2. Now all I need is an Ostrich 2.0. If I can get some shop time it would be great.

Fuel Injected!
    Qweencityspeed,

I've read here having some way to emulate and change things on the fly is a huge time saver! So when I got the Black Friday discount offer from Xenocron in my inbox, I grabbed the Ostrich 2.0! The offer was $50 off a $175 order. Grabbed two SST 27SF512's at the same time.

Because I've never done anything like this before, I'm mostly concerned with the learning curve for the tuning part of this project. The physical construction I'm more comfortable with. Some of the most valuable threads I've discovered on this forum so far (in my opinion) are started by people who really work hard to figure things out. It became very obvious to me early-on this endeavour was not going to be easy.

By far the first thing I struggled the most with was vocabulary. I printed out this page and use it a lot when I'm reading threads. It has proven to be most helpful:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...ictionary.html

I would then typically google for more information on the particular sensor or whatnot part of the system to try and understand it more. Fingers Crossed! HA!
    Last edited by DavidBraley; 12-05-2016 at 10:37 AM.