Thread: YAY! Fixed a bricked pcm this morning...

YAY! Fixed a bricked pcm this morning...

0411 cal-flash failed, not sure why, have never had it happen before. Zero communication, unable to detect the controller.
    It was like it wasn't even powered on.
    Bought myself a new programmer and adapter.

Removed the flash chip, read it and it was nowhere even close to a valid .bin
    Reflashed the chip with a .bin, soldered it back on.

Put it back together.
    Plugged it into my bench harness, and IT WORKS, YAY!!!

Tony

'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (aka Babywag)
    '67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    Congratulations mate.I'm waiting to attempt the same thing for my 2 bricked ones.I've got the TL866A programmer, and just waiting for the correct 40pin DIP to 44TSOP adaptor to turn up.I ordered one but its a 44DIP one and I don't think I can just remove the extra pins, so waiting time....

Fuel Injected!
    What did you use to solder it back? And I'm a little jealous I want that programmer and EFIlive...but my pockets say no. Still using my old programmer with an old laptop since it only supports Windows XP. How do you like that model? Are you planning 0411 projects or upgrading the LT1?
    Last edited by notime2d8; 12-23-2016 at 11:36 PM.

I've got a Hakko soldering station, but it can be done with just a heat gun as well. I just prefer to solder.
    I've fixed 3 LS controllers now, once for me, 2 for other folks. So far so good all still working AFAIK.

The programmer works well, no issues with Win10 that I've seen.
    Honestly for the price you really can't go wrong. IIRC paid like $85 for my Moates Burn2, and this one does pretty much anything.
    This one was like $140-ish shipped with the PSOP44 adapter.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Do you have a step by step for how to reflash?I'm gonna try this very soon with the TL866A programmer and the minipro V6.5 softwareI remember there was something about byte-swapping or something when flashing the .bin file directly to the chip?

No write up, just went off this post.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post62481

If you look @ .bin file ~4000 or ~6000 (depending on .bin file)in hex exitor the VIN will be jumbled.
    it's ready to flash to chip this way. if VIN isn't jumbled then byte swap before flashing.
    If you can open .bin in tuning software it needs byte swapping before flashing to chip.

Any other questions or issues just post up.
    I was confused until I actually did one.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    Evilstuie,

You have two PCMs to try to debrick. Once you have successfully completed the first PCM, let me know. There is a better tuning option for your 406 SBC project, if you can flash the initial programming directly to the chip.

I will get to work on it now ... because I know that you will be successful !

Fuel Injected!
    Hey LRT,I keep getting overvoltage protection errors, not sure if its the adapter or programmer.I tried a couple of different things as the adapter I have is a SOP44 to DIP44 and I desoldered pinds 1,2,43 &44 as it appeared from the flash spec sheet they were not used.I can get the chip to ID as FEFF FEFF but says there's an error with the adaptor when i try to read or write to the chip.The proper adaptor is floating between here and China till the end of January at least, so not sure what to do.If you had the COS3 ready to try I can flash that and see if there's a difference.The DIY OS option does sound like a better option for the long run, but is 12202088 able to run MAFless without a problem?

Fuel Injected!
    I will post the COS 3 to try in the other thread.

12202088 will run MAFless, but will default to the low octane spark table. A COS 1 for 12202088 (01250001) will run both spark tables and is tunable with the XDF for 12202088. This is what I am suggesting as a better option, if you can get your chip burner to work.

Fuel Injected!
    Chip adapter turned up and I have the .BIN that got wrecked by Dimenteds flash tool.The VIN is in correct order when I read the BIN, so how do I byte-swap it?I also had to uncheck "Read ID" for it to read it, is that normal?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Last edited by LRT; 05-24-2021 at 11:17 PM.