Thread: 1990 Corvette Starts then dies

Fuel Injected!

1990 Corvette Starts then dies

This is a newly rebuilt engine. I'm using and edelbrock pro-flo intake manifold and style LS1 throttle body, TPS and MAP sensors, small cap distributor with remote coil, 32lb/hr injectors, bigger cam and brodix IK180 heads. So far I have found that my TPS sensor voltage is only 0.89 volts at the TPS and at the pin out for TPS at the ECM. That wire should be 5.0V. I really do no understand why straight out of the ECM is only 0.89V. I have tried two ECMs and both gave the exact same voltage. Can someone tell me where the power comes from before it gets to the TPS pin out? I think there is probably a short somewhere. Will a broken knock sensor prevent engine from running? the plastic piece the clip goes onto in the center is broken and loose just basically floating in the center. There is a black two pin plug with green rubber seal at the drivers side front of the engine. The wire emerges from the fuel injector harness. I need to know what that originally went to.

"Two pin plug". Oil pressure sensor? On my engine it is just below the distributor. ('84 350). Keeps the fuel pump running after oil pressure gets up.If your engine dies soon after starting, it sounds like your fuel pump relay circuit is giving you a prime but oil pressure is not being recognized by the ECM. Try watching fuel pressure key-on-engine-off. If the fuel pump stops after a few seconds the ECM has turned off the relay and the pressure sensor hasn't taken over the fuel pump circuit. I don't know your ECM, but you can check the diagrams to see where the sensor connects to it and check for continuity to it. One side to ECM, the other to fuel pump +12. If this is your problem, a paper clip between the pins of the plug will keep your engine running. Would recommend using pressure sensor as final solution though.
    Last edited by uncabob; 11-21-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Change ground to +12 on fuel pumpfuel pump
    Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

C4 tech/performance

Check here for info on oil pressure sending unit on 1990 C4. corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/419829-oil-pressure-sending-unit
    Last edited by uncabob; 11-20-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by uncabob View Post
    "Two pin plug". Oil pressure sensor? On my engine it is just below the distributor. ('84 350). Keeps the fuel pump running after oil pressure gets up.If your engine dies soon after starting, it sounds like your fuel pump relay circuit is giving you a prime but oil pressure is not being recognized by the ECM. Try watching fuel pressure key-on-engine-off. If the fuel pump stops after a few seconds the ECM has turned off the relay and the pressure sensor hasn't taken over the fuel pump circuit. I don't know your ECM, but you can check the diagrams to see where the sensor connects to it and check for continuity to it. One side to ECM, the other to ground. If this is your problem, a paper clip between the pins of the plug will keep your engine running. Would recommend using pressure sensor as final solution though.
    Thanks, I fixed it. It was mixed up wires for the MAP sensor.