Thread: Hello from Fort Collins, Colorado

Fuel Injected!

Hello from Fort Collins, Colorado

Thank you so much for letting be a part of this community. I have already been reading and reading and reading... Hopefully I don't ask too many dumb questions. My project is a 1948 GMC 2-Ton truck. The truck spent most of it's life on the eastern plains of Colorado as a grain truck. My plan is to bring it back to service with some updates so it's safer and more pleasant to drive. I want to preserve the original outside look and feel as best I can. I will make a new 8' by 12' flat-bed for it. For upgrading it's ability to stop, I plan on adapting the entire braking system from a Ford F550 (similar class 4 vehicle). For locomotion, I'm building (myself) a 454 BBC that will get a 0.030" over-bore and a 4.25" stroker crankshaft. This will put the displacement at 489 cubic inches. I feel strongly this project could really benefit from some kind of fuel injection. Even a modest 2 mpg gain compared to a carb would mean a lot on long trips. Anywho, thanks again for letting me be part of this resource! David

Administrator
    Welcome David.

That sounds like a very fun project for certain. Years ago I had the pleasure of working on a '48 2-ton which had been brought back to life to work on a ranch. The owner really spared little expense in making it original. I tried talking him into converting the old six to EFI but he was committed to carburetor operation. Are you considering port fuel injection or throttle body?

Shannen

Fuel Injected!
    Shannen,

I would love for my first try at converting an older style engine to EFI to be a simple TBI system. But based on my research so far, I'm not getting a clear picture whether the original throttle body for the 7.4L (2" bore) can be modified to support what this engine will need.

I even wondered if it would be possible to run dual throttle bodies from a smaller 5.7L in some kind of progressive way. Design an add-on board that would block the secondary throttle body injectors from firing until the throttle position sensor was at a level when the second set of butterflies where opening... It might be fun to try something like that.

I have read that the 16197427 PCM can be modified for a kind of MPFI. I understand the modification would not support a sequential injector firing type of system, but a batch type. One injector driver from the PCM firing one bank of injectors. I'm presently thinking this would be the simplest way to get the kind of airflow and fuel delivery needed... I am so new to all of this, I am open to any and all suggestions!
    Last edited by DavidBraley; 11-19-2016 at 11:09 PM.