Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wierd Prom Issue - HELP

The ignition type doesn't matter for LHM, so a TBI MEMCAL is the best to start with. The ignition runs in LHM, just like it would if you disconnected the bypass (tan/black) wire, the ECM has absolutely no control at that point. IIRC, LHM just runs fuel in LHM, based on MAP and TPS inputs only.

I don't know why the base ignition timing would have been set up that way either, for me, it would have made it more difficult to get it running.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have my setup (crank sensor) setup at 10 degrees BTDC not AFTER. I reverse rotate, so the Pic would show after if going clockwise, but I dont. Was you talking about something in my programming?

Please look at the bin and tell me if you see other problems. I run a romulator, so pretty easy to change.

Ted
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI
    61 Corvair Loadside Pickup (Future EFI)

Administrator
    the ECM has absolutely no control at that point. IIRC, LHM just runs fuel in LHM, based on MAP and TPS inputs only.
    Yep, except that LHM fuel is MAP or TPS.

A lot of guys tried different settings to make DIS swaps work in the early days. I remember a guy that set the crank sensor at 10 deg BTDC and built a small circuit to apply 5V to the bypass any time the key was on so the ecm would always be in control of timing.

Gotta say, for some reason I thought OP said he put sensor at 10 deg BTDC. Dunno how I looked at all the clues and missed the obvious, but I'm definitely going to turn down that rattlesnake hunter job I was offered. REF should stay at 54 deg but max advance and retard values that I listed will work. Downside is engine will never run right on limp or on module timing if sensor is at -10 deg. Proper settings from 0 to +10 will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Yep, except that LHM fuel is MAP or TPS.
    . Downside is engine will never run right on limp or on module timing if sensor is at -10 deg. Proper settings from 0 to +10 will fix it.
    I have the Sensor located at 10 BTDC. Wanted to make sure you caught that... My engine turns counter clockwise.

Ted
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI

Administrator
    That's what I thought you said but the .bin is set to 54 deg ref angle which is the same as 10 deg ATDC. Have you ever checked to see if the timing at the crank matches the timing displayed on the scantool?

If you're not reading 10 degrees before TDC, with the bypass disconnected using a timing light, then you have one of two things happening, your pointer is off, or you don't have it set to 10* BTDC.

According to the Megamanual, which was at least one source I used when setting up my second DIS system, the notches should align with TDC events, and the home notch should be 10* ATDC of #1.

If you look close at this picture, you'll see that the middle of the sensor is at the leading edge of the #1 notch, I think I need to set it to the trailing edge. The engine is at TDC #1 in this picture.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    Ted, maybe a few basic questions will put everyone on the same page. Will the car crank over with the tan wire disconnected? Will it start and run? Have you checked the timing when the engine runs using a timing light?

Six, the sensor needs to be in the center of the notch. The module triggers when sensor voltage crosses zero volts. I don't know if this picture will help but it's GM's own timing diagram for the V660 DIS. You "read" it from left to right. Notice how the center of the pulse at the top corresponds with the changes to the REF pulse? That's the point where the sides of the notch are equally distant from the crank sensor tip.

The Timing indication and the light are within a couple of degrees so that part works. I have not tried the Tan wire disconnect since the last set of harness I built, I just left the disconnect out. I want to get a known good V6 TBI Memcal/Prom that works with the OD$ mask and see what happens from there. I want to isolate, but you guys are really helping. As I learn more and look back a lot of my success with getting the Corvair engine running was pure luck, but as they say "I would rather be lucky than good".... and I am lucky.

Thanks Again,
    Ted
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-