Firstly thank you all for all the work and for sharing what you've learned. Thank you to the Internet, gearhead-efi.com admins, sponsors, and everyone who contributes running this site. I'm amazed at what people are figuring out and doing. I consider myself pretty good at figuring things out, but here I'm very humbled.

Longtime reader, finally got around to registering, mainly because I needed some ROM images (.bin) that I only found here.

After years of struggle, I finally got my '94 Astro ($0D) to pass PA emissions. Over the years I've tested and/or replaced everything external to the block/heads- including many sets of plugs, wires, sensors, coil, distributer, PCM, cam chain, etc.

Turned out to have an occasional plug boot "leak" - on a great set of wires. I noticed an arc with the engine cover off. It didn't seem to affect driveablity or mileage. Also had 1 plug with a small gap- must have bumped it putting it in (Astros are difficult) and these plugs (Autolite double platinum) must have copper "J" electrodes- bend very easily. Also tweaked throttle stop screw, TPS, and ran a California .bin (BKZM) and it passed with huge margins.

But driveability isn't great, throttle response kind of dead, so I tried a few tuning tweaks, now it runs great, but my nose tells me it's high HC again. Also, exhaust sounds different- with tweaks it's smoother, with essentially stock BKZM it sounds more like a "purr" or almost growl. I don't want to kill my CAT so I'll go back to the .bin that passed and keep learning.

I'm using TunerPro and I'm wondering if the .bin definition files are not quite right.

I'll look around here and post questions in the appropriate forums.

Thanks!