View Poll Results: Old way or follow the guide?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • The old way from 10 years ago

0 0%
  • RTFM!!!!

1 100.00%

Thread: TBI to CFI conversion, changes over 10 years. WOW!

Carb and Points!

TBI to CFI conversion, changes over 10 years. WOW!

Hello, new here (just discovered this place a few days ago and have done TONS of reading since then). About 10 years ago I was very active on FullSizeChevy and 3rdgenFbody and S10Forums under the name Drumer919, I remember several people I've seen here; 93V8S10, Dimented24x7, Fast355 and a few others so that's great to see, I've even emailed 93V8S10 about some other stuff but other than that I've lost all my login info and lost touch with the hobby... I've been out of the modifying vehicle world for about 10 years now working at my horse farm with my family (my wife and sister and my 3 kids) but anyway back to topic.

Back in 2007 or so I put a Vortec 350 into my 95 S10 and ran the stock GM intake / spider injector parts on the 7427 ECM, at that time 93V8S10 had just put out a really good $0D .xdf but $0E and $31 were pretty much non-existent. I ran $0D on my S10 with 4L60e but I also owned a K2500 running $31 and a 4L80e so I hacked together a $31 file (I was only 21 at the time and it was literally my first experience with anything like that) and did some tuning when I swapped the cam but that was all the 2500 needed.

Fast forward to now, my F350 6.0 died (imagine that) and I need a truck that's able to pull my 32' goosneck horse trailer to an out of town show over thanksgiving, I'm not able to get the Ford going in that ~10 days but I still own the K2500 I mentioned above! It blew up about 3 years ago and has just been sitting but I'm sure I can fix it quicker than the Ford, I have another 5.7 vortec that I know runs (and all it's needed crap), I also have all the tuning equipment (Burn2, ALDL with correct ODB1 plug for the truck and a tunerpro license) from when I built the S10 all that time ago. I'm doing this! http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj.../rock%20on.gif

TL;DR
    So I start looking here and I find all this stuff about the current sense resistors needing to be jumpered and I'm wondering, I wasnt planning on doing this or any of the other little techniques, I was planning on just doing what I did last time, after all I KNOW it works (cause I drove the crap out of my S10 till I traded it for a bike) or should I follow all the new procedures? Is there really a need? Does it make it run better (cause again, the S10 ran GREAT)?
    Note I'm not asking cause I'm scared of soldering, electronics are my main hobby (I build racing drones and planes), hell I surface mount solder 144 pin iC's FOR FUN. If anything I'm looking forward to the soldering inside the ECM, I'm just worried about change, I know the old way worked before and I know I can do that way again now...
    All I did on the S10 was to enable MPFI mode with it's flag and jump the two pins on the memcal (and appropriate tuning), will I get a better behaving final outcome if I do all the new techniques or can I just do what I know works from 10 years ago?[br]test[/br]asdf
    Last edited by Cereal_Killer; 11-11-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Why do line breaks not work? Is there a WYSIWYG editor option somewhere?

Did I get it working?
    Last edited by Cereal_Killer; 11-11-2016 at 07:02 PM.

I've done several '7427 MPFI conversions, all with the soldering modifications.

In electronic terms, injectors are inductors. http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...inductors.html

The soldering modifications will make the inductors HAPPY!

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Got it. Done!

Thanks, great sites! I found it when I tried to get on the Moates fileman originally looking for my old $31.xdf or for red95's $0D bin w/ 4L80 patch.