Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for all folks with MARINE intake on board, please comment!!!

Fuel Injected!

A question for all folks with MARINE intake on board, please comment!!!

Hi guys,I wonder, my chevy k1500 5.7l 1990, with vortec head swap and CSFI manifold (spider injector), is not very stable working, and i would like to change to MPFI, but i wonder:With the marine intake there is a well done instraction "pacificp" forum, so for now no questions about it. But the main question is, why did you choose marine mercruser manifold, why not to use the manifold from pontiac firebird, impala, and other models with L31 engine and exterior fuel rails, would it not be easier? Thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by Aksl; 11-09-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    The F-body cars do not use vortec heads. They are LT1 engines that use a different bolt pattern and have no provisions for a rear mounted distributor.

Administrator
    why not to use the manifold from pontiac firebird, impala, and other models with L31 engine and exterior fuel rails
    There are none that I'm aware of. L31 is truck engine with only one configuration. Marine engines use same heads as L31 so intakes will fit L31. Adapting LT1 engine is challenging and at time of first marine swaps, was equal or greater money with much additional work. Now you can get a specially made base to use the tuned port intakes but those bases weren't around several years ago.

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you very much for explanation, I run in a Pontiac Firebird 1982 thru 1992 Heynes repair manual book, and in it, all looks the same as on my engine. Since I have changed the heads to vortec, and the entire top end (manifold, CSFI, throttle body and so on), I wanted to try on the manifold from an impala my friend is fixing... So I guess it will not be necessary, since you confirmed that bolt pattern is different, and it will be extremely difficult to adapt (if possible at all). I have another question, I contacted some boat service, and they seem to have the manifold with all of the attached equipment on, from mercruser 5.7 MPFI marine engine, but they have two different versions, the difference is in injector fitment, the degree is different, one is 45º and the other one is 90º fitment. So which one do I need, for marine intake transformation?Thank you once again for your help!

Administrator
    you confirmed that bolt pattern is different, and it will be extremely difficult to adapt (if possible at all).
    There are aftermarket parts that will adapt your manifold.
    http://sdparts.com/i-23896057-sdpc-s...baseplate.html

Marine intakes come in several versions. I have never seen them listed as 90 deg or 45 degree injector fitment but it looks like the commonly swapped manifold might be 45 degree. Can they send pictures or part numbers?

Fuel Injected!

I will request the pics and part numbers. Thank you! ))

Fuel Injected!
    There might be a little confusion in the thread. The pre '93 F-body intake you are referring to is called a TPI or Tuned Port Intake, which is the GM name for the intake with the runner tubes on both sides. The link to the Vortec base plate was already provided.

What PCM are you now running?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    There might be a little confusion in the thread. The pre '93 F-body intake you are referring to is called a TPI or Tuned Port Intake, which is the GM name for the intake with the runner tubes on both sides. The link to the Vortec base plate was already provided.What PCM are you now running?
    Hello, I am running the blackbox pcm, of a 1998 Tahoe.

Fuel Injected!
    So what would you folks recommend me to go for, MPFI or TBI setup for my truck?
    Last edited by Aksl; 11-11-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Administrator
    I don't believe the blackbox is easily adapted to TBI. I would opt for mpfi.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, you are right, blackbox is a pain in the ass..., i mean, off course it is possible to program, the programmer i go to, is using EEPROM to tune my chip. However, even for him, he needs to make change and try the car, then again and again... (((, truly i want to swap to 411 with roadrunner, but don’t know if i will be able to tune it myself and make changes to settings, how difficult it is and what knowledge i must have. With EEPROM i am sure i am not capable of doing it!!! ((

Fuel Injected!
    Found this manifold: http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercru...nt-p-4576.html, if i don’t get the used one, from the service that found me two different manifolds, will probably start saving for the one from the lint, nowadays with the FX rate, plus shipping costs (and i guess it weights a lot), the prices in $ really bite...

That manifold has the 4 bolt drive by wire throttle body. Might be a concern there as the Vortec and LS cable are three bolt.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!

Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    That manifold has the 4 bolt drive by wire throttle body. Might be a concern there as the Vortec and LS cable are three bolt.
    Yes, you are correct! Thank you!, I didn't notice it, all thaw it comes whith it's own throttle body, but don't know if it will work. Thank you for pointing this out for me, I have to be more attentive!

Fuel Injected!
    The L31 uses the 3 bolt t-body. If you want to retain your stock cruise control along with the stock you need to run a t-body spacer to clear the passenger side fuel rail, or slightly bend out the tab on the L31 throttlebody. The Ramjet intake can be had as well, but the Marine Intake is the most complete, easiest conversion there is. This is all covered in the Marine Intake Bible. point #5. http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317 Why are are you wanting the MArine Intake, it does a dd a bit of power, but not worth doing the swap for that alone? The only reason I did it was to be one of the first to do it. peace Hog